Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Phastek Performance

Old 01-08-2018, 05:59 AM   #15
Bluecyclone

Drives: 2014 Cyclone mustang
Oil & performance

Great thread.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:14 AM   #16
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
+1, after the M6 bogging question gets answered
Unfortunately You'll probably have to wait until this happens;
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:50 PM   #17
PinHead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
Hey Al,

Can you expand on the recommended engine oils for track / competitive driving in the Camaro?

In your answer, please touch on the following if possible:

Why does Mobil 1® 15W-50 engine oil appear as a secondary choice for the ZL1 while appearing as the preferred choice for the ZL1 1LE?

Are there any issues associated with regular street usage of dexos2™ OW-40 or 5W-40?

Are there any issues associated with regular street/track usage of dexos2™ approved OW-40 or 5W-40 on the ZL1 1LE?

Other than Mobil 1® 15w-50, are there any non-dexos2™ approved oils that have GM's blessing for track use in the Camaro?

In particular:
Mobil 1® 0W-40 (It's usually in stock locally and seems like a reasonable choice, but is not dexos2™ approved.)
Mobil 1® 5W-50 (It offers great protection and is possibly better for emission systems than Mobil 1® 15W-50.)

(Valvoline® SynPowerTM MST 5W-40 mentioned in the manuals is now dexos2™ approved.)

Thanks,

The Camaro Community
There you go AGAIN Lambert.....Stirring the Pot

j/k
Old 01-23-2018, 03:25 PM   #18
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Amsoil Signature Series 5w50 is really the ultimate for street and track. The cold flow is superior for start ups and really holds up well with the added raw fuel washdown and dilution all GDI engines experience. I think most assume as the owners manual states to use a very thin viscosity oil that it is best when that has nothing to do with proper protection and is only to allow the automaker to meet CAFE fuel economy standards for that vehicle the engine is in. GDI engines experience far more fuel forced past the rings do to a combination of the 11.5:1 compression ratio as well as the intense pressure the fuel is introduced at, 2,000-3,000 PSI. This combined with long change intervals is extremely hard on the bearings and journals as well as timing chains, tensioners and other internal parts. Then add the abrasive particulate matter shed from intake valve coking and your oil has never had to work harder to protect your engine.

Installing the Elite E2-X crankcase evacuation and air/oil separating system provides full time evacuation of these compounds as well as 95% plus reduction in the ingestion of these compounds. Consider this as well to aid in keeping the engine oil clean longer as well as reduction of KR caused by detonation.

You will also see less coking from using an ultra clean synthetic as it leaves almost no residue when burned.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:29 PM   #19
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
Amsoil Signature Series 5w50 is really the ultimate for street and track. The cold flow is superior for start ups and really holds up well with the added raw fuel washdown and dilution all GDI engines experience. I think most assume as the owners manual states to use a very thin viscosity oil that it is best when that has nothing to do with proper protection and is only to allow the automaker to meet CAFE fuel economy standards for that vehicle the engine is in. GDI engines experience far more fuel forced past the rings do to a combination of the 11.5:1 compression ratio as well as the intense pressure the fuel is introduced at, 2,000-3,000 PSI. This combined with long change intervals is extremely hard on the bearings and journals as well as timing chains, tensioners and other internal parts. Then add the abrasive particulate matter shed from intake valve coking and your oil has never had to work harder to protect your engine.

Installing the Elite E2-X crankcase evacuation and air/oil separating system provides full time evacuation of these compounds as well as 95% plus reduction in the ingestion of these compounds. Consider this as well to aid in keeping the engine oil clean longer as well as reduction of KR caused by detonation.

You will also see less coking from using an ultra clean synthetic as it leaves almost no residue when burned.
Thank you for a great product.

I have had an Elite Engineering catch can on three different cars over the last 12 plus years.
I even did a test to see how efficient the catch can was by installing a transparent fuel filter inline after the catch can. During the testing over 12,000 miles the catch can caught it's normal +/-2 oz of oil between oil changes, while no oil escaped the can into the filter. The catch can in my example was well over 95% efficient with no more than a single drop of oil collecting in the fuel filter after 12,000 miles. This was done on a 2006 LS2 in a GTO driven 20,000 miles a year.

I will always use an Elite Engineering CC in any V8 I own.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:04 PM   #20
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
Thank you for a great product.

I have had an Elite Engineering catch can on three different cars over the last 12 plus years.
I even did a test to see how efficient the catch can was by installing a transparent fuel filter inline after the catch can. During the testing over 12,000 miles the catch can caught it's normal +/-2 oz of oil between oil changes, while no oil escaped the can into the filter. The catch can in my example was well over 95% efficient with no more than a single drop of oil collecting in the fuel filter after 12,000 miles. This was done on a 2006 LS2 in a GTO driven 20,000 miles a year.

I will always use an Elite Engineering CC in any V8 I own.
+1

I will without question, install an EX-2 on my ZLE as soon as I get it home.

Top shelf product and great customer service form Elite Engineering.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:16 PM   #21
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
GM is changing the recommended oil fill to Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40 for the LT1 and LT4 starting MY 19 for both street and track use. It's also backwards compatible with the 2014-2018 cars. Is it safe to assume this holds true for the 6th Gen Camaro?

Quote:
Do you recommend 2014-18 C7s use the new Mobil 1 0w40 dexos2 engine oil that has been announced to be the factory oil fill for 2019s. I'd prefer to use one oil instead of having to change from 5w30 to 15w50 for track use. If you don't recommend the earlier C7 using 0w40, why?
Quote:
Tadge answered:
Yes, the new Mobil1 OW40 Dexos 2 oil (Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40) is also the recommended oil for all C7's prior to 2019. This oil was specifically developed to meet all of GM's performance requirements during engine dyno testing, vehicle road testing and performance track testing including the 2014-2018 Corvettes (all models). The Multi-grade Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40 synthetic motor oil has many benefits including exceptional fast oil flow at startup along with low temperature pump-ability and exceptional viscosity/performance characteristics at high-temperature and high-RPM operating conditions. We are still refining our recommendations for the LT5 in the upcoming ZR1, so they may differ.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:01 PM   #22
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
GM is changing the recommended oil fill to Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40 for the LT1 and LT4 starting MY 19 for both street and track use. It's also backwards compatible with the 2014-2018 cars. Is it safe to assume this holds true for the 6th Gen Camaro?
They also used to require 15W50 for Z06s...hmmm...Maybe a great question to "Ask Al" about, and there is a thread about this in that section, already.

I'd love to not keep switching oils!
Old 01-26-2018, 10:15 AM   #23
PinHead
Banned

As a advocate of T&E using HARD DATA I resurrected some old zMax Data looking at counteracting the carbon issue of the DI systems.

zMax development goes way back to WWII. Its NOT and Oil Additive and DOES NOT add to the Oil's properties. It treats and protects the Metallurgy of the treated components. It also protects metal components during Engine break-in.

Here's some of the info on zMax;
http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tec...est-practices/

Again I use REAL LIFE DATA.

Here's what the piston's looked like after a 6min TOTAL oil pressure lose when using zMax
http://www.zmax.com/documents/avblen...pers_story.pdf

I'm also going to use this to counteract the Carbon and Catch Can oil reintroduction degradation.

Last edited by PinHead; 01-26-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:10 PM   #24
PinHead
Banned

Second link fixed

Sorry
Old 01-30-2018, 06:52 PM   #25
kaamacat

Drives: 2018 ZL1/1LE Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Along this subject:

1) Will there be a TSB of a sort that will basically allow for the LT4 to have 0W40 as its normal fill vs the 5w30? (would like to keep the warranty 100%)

2) On the ZL1 1LE, if 0W40 becomes the regular fill, will it still be necessary to switch to 15w50 for road course/hpde use?

2018 ZL1 1LE (Red) - New Dec 2017
2015 ViperGT (Gunmetal w/Red stripes)
2013 ZR1 Anniversary
2014 ZL1 - BrightYellow, 6sp
2011 Porsche GT3RS - White w/red graphics
2009 Porsche C2S
2001 Ferrari 360
kaamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:45 PM   #26
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Bump for the next poll.

I assume we'll hear about the Mobil 1 ESP 0w-40 in the response, but it'd be nice to have a somewhat official response especially with warmer weather approaching.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:53 PM   #27
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I also support this poll - always love hearing about oil. And technical details from the engineers would be a good read!!!
Old 03-18-2018, 10:25 AM   #28
Dwille

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
I support this poll. It would be really, really awesome to not have to switch oil.
Dwille is offline   Reply With Quote