Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-28-2017, 10:22 AM   #29
RandRZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I have had smart chargers that I believe did not correctly charge because they did not detect a discharge. I think it was because the connection was to far from the battery. I use, install smart chargers daily.

Newer vehicles have small draws constantly on the battery, also battery manufacturers claim a good battery can loose as much as 1% per day just sitting.
RandRZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #30
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driski View Post
Why not just disconnect the battery in the trunk? Why do I need to trickle charge at all?
Lead acid batteries self discharge over time, even when disconnected. This leads to sulfation, which inhibits current flow and can permanently kill the battery. But it's more than just keeping the battery constantly charging, which is why trickle chargers are not the best idea. A battery tender will monitor the battery and adjust the charging accordingly. There's lots more in depth info on the web.

I've personally killed a battery by leaving it disconnected for a long period of time. It appeared to charge ok, and the voltage looked fine, but it couldn't handle any kind of load, and I had to replace it.

Nigel
2018 1SS 1LE
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:00 PM   #31
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
good info. At what point do you need to run a battery tender, if your not driving it for 3 weeks or more? Manual says for Infrequent Usage or Extended Storage: Remove the
black, negative (−) cable from the battery or use a battery trickle charger.
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:16 PM   #32
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
My battery died back in 2013, so I bought the Ctek charger below. $$$ but it completely recharged the battery and has a winter storage mode for extended storage. The original battery was still going strong when I recently switched to a Braille battery, but I keep it hooked up (under the hood) whenever I don't drive it.

https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-353-1...&keywords=ctek
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:55 PM   #33
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
good info. At what point do you need to run a battery tender, if your not driving it for 3 weeks or more? Manual says for Infrequent Usage or Extended Storage: Remove the
black, negative (−) cable from the battery or use a battery trickle charger.

3-4 weeks.....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:35 PM   #34
Chevyman2

Drives: 2018 zl1
Ctek is well made and trusted trickle charger in the automotive industry. It can be added as an accessory or often comes standard with some cars and manufacturers logo printed on the exterior. I have several of them going year round on bikes, cars , truck and power equipment they work flawless. Ctek can be purchased cheaper without the Camaro logo on it and works exactly the same. I would not trust most on the market. Go with ctek IMO.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:43 PM   #35
Driski

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
Lead acid batteries self discharge over time, even when disconnected. This leads to sulfation, which inhibits current flow and can permanently kill the battery. But it's more than just keeping the battery constantly charging, which is why trickle chargers are not the best idea. A battery tender will monitor the battery and adjust the charging accordingly. There's lots more in depth info on the web.

I've personally killed a battery by leaving it disconnected for a long period of time. It appeared to charge ok, and the voltage looked fine, but it couldn't handle any kind of load, and I had to replace it.

Nigel
2018 1SS 1LE
Thank you for that info. I have no power where I store the car. Not sure now. Guess I will test battery in the spring. Thanks again
Old 12-29-2017, 04:06 PM   #36
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driski View Post
Thank you for that info. I have no power where I store the car. Not sure now. Guess I will test battery in the spring. Thanks again
If you're going to be storing the car for say, a couple of months or more, you could remove the battery and bring it home to keep charged. Disconnect it at the very least, if it's going to sit for more than a couple of weeks. It will self discharge, but that will be much slower than the draw from the car while it's sitting unused. Mind you, these cars do have a transport mode, which reduces draw to a minimum while connected. That may be good enough.
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:57 AM   #37
Marko

Drives: Camaro
Ive been using this one for years on my 03 Cobra

http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinu...&blockType=G14
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:06 AM   #38
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
If you're going to be storing the car for say, a couple of months or more, you could remove the battery and bring it home to keep charged. Disconnect it at the very least, if it's going to sit for more than a couple of weeks. It will self discharge, but that will be much slower than the draw from the car while it's sitting unused. Mind you, these cars do have a transport mode, which reduces draw to a minimum while connected. That may be good enough.
I agree with this versus disconnecting the neg cable. If you can get the battery out easily, (it’s not that hard), best thing is to have it sitting on your shelf inside for the winter with a $30 battery tender attached. Hook it up and forget it.

But AGM’s can take the cold, but the secret is having them at 100 percent charge when you disconnect them. AGMs discharge a lot less than a standard Lead acid battery.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:13 AM   #39
Sheriff Justice
If your not 1st your last

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS / RS
I would recommend connecting directly to the battery in the trunk (was told it gets a better charge). I use a Battery Tender Plus in the Camaro and a BT Junior for an SUV. Both have the ring terminal connected to the battery with a quick connect plug. Very easy to plug it in when not in use (male / female plugs). Charges the battery then goes to a ‘float’ mode for storage.

If you have no power source take the battery out and connect it to a tender at home vs. just unplugging negative cable as it sits in storage. Drop the battery back in the spring and it’s fresh & ready to go!
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2018, 09:36 AM   #40
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
I have the NOCO G3500 and it works perfectly connecting to the under hood charging points. Not sure if it would have reached full charge and gone into maintenance mode faster if it was connected directly to the batteries terminals. I ordered it last Friday from Amazon a got same day delivery at no extra cost being a Prime member.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:46 AM   #41
Blown330

Drives: 2016 Stingray Z51
Does anyone know if the Camaro can be charged thru the cigarette lighter like the Corvette??
Blown330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:54 AM   #42
BaconWrapped

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown330 View Post
Does anyone know if the Camaro can be charged thru the cigarette lighter like the Corvette??
"Does anyone know if the Camaro can be charged thru the cigarette lighter like the Corvette??"

I tried to do this with the schumacher battery tender that I purchased at wal-mart...it did not charge. So, I simply hooked it up to the front posts under the hood.
BaconWrapped is offline   Reply With Quote