Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-08-2017, 11:04 AM   #1
SamMoranPranks
SamMoranAutos

Drives: '16 RS A8 Custom Exhaust CAI
Oil & Transmission Temperature

Just wondering what y'alls normal operating oil and transmission temps are. If you're not getting on it and are driving around with the A/C on what are your readings? I live in south Texas so its a bit warmer down here. Usually when I'm just cruising and not getting on it between 80 to 90 degree weather my oil temp fluctuates between 208 degrees to 215, sometimes 217. My tranny temp is anywhere between 170 to 190 degrees. When I get on it obviously it raises the oil to around 225 or so and the tranny up to almost 200.

Do y'all have the same temps when you drive as well?

Thanks
SamMoranPranks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #2
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
175-195 is operating temp on almost any transmission. rule of thumb, every 20 degrees above 195 will half the life of the fluid through heat degradation.

as for oil temps. 200ish is around normal. it will get up to over 212, which is the boiling point of water. this occurs and allows engine oil to burn off any condensation that has built up from normal running procedures.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:31 PM   #3
GuoShicheng

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT V6 RS 6MT
Your temps look around the same as mine .
Old 05-07-2017, 07:18 AM   #4
Buzzberd6

Drives: 2LT/1LE, HPCRX, F250(tow vehicle)
In my 1LE I saw my trans temp get to a max of about 185 during the track day at Daytona Friday. It would also drop noticeably, about 5-20 deg. whenever I backed off and during the cool-off lap.

Engine oil temp got to about 285 but never seemed to get any higher. This temp would also drop noticeably when I backed off a bit.
Buzzberd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 05:11 PM   #5
LtColumbo

Drives: 2017 1LT RS V6 A8, 2020 Fusion
My engine oil temperature runs about 10 degrees higher than the coolant temperature.
LtColumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 05:55 PM   #6
Chez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I'm starting to believe temps are inferred readings. For instance, last track day the Gauge said Trans. fluid was 220F. Checked the lines with a gun in the paddock, and saw 170F. Not sure of the accuracy of the gauges.

I am running a Hayden 678 Cooler and bypassing the radiator.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:57 PM   #7
BustaRs32

Drives: 2016 camaro rs
transmission fluid temp

my transmission fluid reads roughly around 50 . is that bad ? and also ive been getting a check engine light reading code P3400 cylinder deactiviation system bank 1 . my car sounds weird when in idle and also when driving on the highway. i have a feeling that might be the problem why . any suggestions ?
BustaRs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #8
Wheat_Fed_SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
175-195 is operating temp on almost any transmission. rule of thumb, every 20 degrees above 195 will half the life of the fluid through heat degradation.

as for oil temps. 200ish is around normal. it will get up to over 212, which is the boiling point of water. this occurs and allows engine oil to burn off any condensation that has built up from normal running procedures.
Would this be normal while driving for over 30 minutes and the car already being warm?
Attached Images

Wheat_Fed_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:45 PM   #9
Gunmetalmissle

Drives: 16 ngm ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheat_Fed_SS View Post
Would this be normal while driving for over 30 minutes and the car already being warm?
Depending on ambient temp and type of driving I often had the same readings. Barely moved the needle.
Gunmetalmissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:23 PM   #10
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetalmissle View Post
Depending on ambient temp and type of driving I often had the same readings. Barely moved the needle.
agreed.

also being you have an SS, you have the additional cooling radiators for coolant as well as the transmission. many of the v6 guys only have the single main core that shares with the coolant and trans.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:59 AM   #11
classics01

Drives: 2014 2LT Camaro RS
It is cold out but I noticed that my oil temp won't go above 84°C (183.2° F) It actually bounces between 84°C and 83°C (183.2° F and 181.40° F) Is this normal? It is not falling in between the yellow lines as it is supposed to.
classics01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro v6, oil temperature, temperature, transmission temperature