Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-03-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
Gen6 softtop

Drives: Hyper blue 1ss convertible 6 sp
Front fascia bug removal? My search doesn't seem to work

Unfortunately unless I get blasted with bugs, generally I wash once a week so the bugs get baked on in the sun till the weekend. Looking for quickest and easist way to remove from nonwraped front fascia. Thanks in advanced
Gen6 softtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:15 AM   #2
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Some sort of a Rinseless wash product usually has pretty strong cleaners in it when left undiluted/lightly diluted. I will do a front end pre-soak with Adam's Rinseless Wash and by the time I fill my bucket, I could wipe them off. Note: It GREATLY helps to have your paint coated with a good Wax, Sealant, Sio2 product, etc. This will make them slide off the paint with much less damage. If they're landing on naked paint, or paint that only has a Wal-Mart level wax applied that's likely 50% burned off anyway, then you'll induce more damage to the paint (Swirling/micro scratching) and they won't come off as easily.

I have CarPro ECH2o on the way, I will be trying the same process with it. A good Waterless Wash whether it by a dilution of Ech2o or another brands product, will be very good for pre-soaks and for wiping bugs off between washes (As long as you're careful).

P.S. Always remove bugs as quickly as possible. Letting them bake in the sun is a very bad idea.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #3
Gen6 softtop

Drives: Hyper blue 1ss convertible 6 sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Some sort of a Rinseless wash product usually has pretty strong cleaners in it when left undiluted/lightly diluted. I will do a front end pre-soak with Adam's Rinseless Wash and by the time I fill my bucket, I could wipe them off. Note: It GREATLY helps to have your paint coated with a good Wax, Sealant, Sio2 product, etc. This will make them slide off the paint with much less damage. If they're landing on naked paint, or paint that only has a Wal-Mart level wax applied that's likely 50% burned off anyway, then you'll induce more damage to the paint (Swirling/micro scratching) and they won't come off as easily.

I have CarPro ECH2o on the way, I will be trying the same process with it. A good Waterless Wash whether it by a dilution of Ech2o or another brands product, will be very good for pre-soaks and for wiping bugs off between washes (As long as you're careful).

P.S. Always remove bugs as quickly as possible. Letting them bake in the sun is a very bad idea.
I Know about the sun, but living in farm country working first shift, I'm kindve getting hit regardless. I will try the rinseless presoak though. I've been just hitting it with hose a few times then washing
Gen6 softtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:39 PM   #4
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
I've heard wet dryer sheets work well to remove bug innards.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:24 PM   #5
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I recently started using ONR (Optimum No Rinse). You can do a full vehicle wash without using any hose water. I basically buy 3 gallons of $.99 distilled water form the corner store and mix in a bucket with the ONR. Once you have the solution mixed, put a clean spray bottle in there and fill. Pre-soak each panel with the spray bottle before doing the rinseless method...the bugs will come right off. I wouldn't use the dryer sheet method as it could lead to micro scratching. You want some kind of lubrication on there.
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #6
Bwright4

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic black,NPP,MRC
I also use ONR rinseless and keep spray bottle with mixture in my trunk for bugs that I might see. Works great.
Bwright4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:37 PM   #7
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Like mentioned, soak them in some sort of waterless wash solution. If they don’t appear to be COMPLETELY softened and loosened up front the paint, dunk a towel in warm/hot water, re-soak stubborn bugs with wash spray, and lay towel over them for a few minutes. That’s should do the trick.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:01 PM   #8
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
PoorBoys World Bug Squash mixed 10:1 for bug guts on paints.

Full strength to dissolve bugs in radiator fins.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:15 PM   #9
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
I always use Waterless Wash, spray them down let them soak before wiping, the key to bug removal is keep a good coat of protection to keep your paint slick that way they won't stick as bad. Also try to remove them ASAP, keep WW in your car at all times.

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exter...-car-wash.html
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:04 AM   #10
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Turtle wax bug and tar removal works for me.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:46 PM   #11
EMTNLSS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Good video on what to do and what not to do:

Current Mods: Catch Can | aFe Lowering Springs | GM 2nd Gen Splitter | Hotchkis Sway Bars | MRR FS02 Wheels | Flowmaster Exhaust | Dark Tail Lights | Diode Dynamics Sidemarkers | Roto Fab | Solar TB | PRAY Ported IM | BMR | PRAY Tune

Upcoming Mods:
EMTNLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:13 PM   #12
init4fun

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary
I've used WD40 for 20 yrs and it works great. Just spray t on and let it sit. After that I wipe it down with a microfiber soaked in WD40 then wash the car normally.

As others have said. The key is keeping a good coat of protection on the paint to keep the bugs from getting stuck in it.
init4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:21 PM   #13
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
I've used WD40 for 20 yrs and it works great. Just spray t on and let it sit. After that I wipe it down with a microfiber soaked in WD40 then wash the car normally.

As others have said. The key is keeping a good coat of protection on the paint to keep the bugs from getting stuck in it.
Wont that damage the paint, especially if you forget to wipe it off? Or is that an old wives' tale?
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #14
warren3537

Drives: 2019 Red Hot ZL1 1LE: 2012 RAM 2500
I just started using 50/50 mix purple power vehicle and boat wash ($7.48 Gal @ Wal-Mart) in a spray bottle and I just sprayed it on and waited a few min and with a wash mitt, the bugs got all soft and came right off, I was kind of surprised on how well it worked
warren3537 is offline   Reply With Quote