Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-05-2016, 02:47 PM   #1
human29

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Convertible
Remote start on manual SS

Since the car knows what gear it is in as it is displayed in the dash. Anyone able to get the factory remote start to work with a manual car?
human29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:51 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
None of the electroncs will support it and gm is against having the manual having remote start due to legal issues. Untill somebdy hacks the ECM, it wont happen and will void warranty.

It may happen as some of these cars move out of warranty in 3 yrs.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:15 PM   #3
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Very bad Idea. Why would you want to rely solely on the Ebrake? I know I wouldn't.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:10 PM   #4
human29

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Very bad Idea. Why would you want to rely solely on the Ebrake? I know I wouldn't.

I use to install car electronics for a living, would not rely on just the Ebrake. With this model with the key (ignition) on it can sense that it is in gear. This is known as it displays your gear on the cluster. If the car was in any gear it just simply would not start. I use to do this with mag switches attached to the shifter assembly in the past.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:58 AM   #5
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by human29 View Post
I use to install car electronics for a living, would not rely on just the Ebrake. With this model with the key (ignition) on it can sense that it is in gear. This is known as it displays your gear on the cluster. If the car was in any gear it just simply would not start. I use to do this with mag switches attached to the shifter assembly in the past.
I get that. You still are relying on only the ebrake to keep the car put. That may be okay if you are on a flat, but I wouldn't want to rely solely on it.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:55 AM   #6
human29

Quote:
I get that. You still are relying on only the ebrake to keep the car put. That may be okay if you are on a flat, but I wouldn't want to rely solely on it.

I get what you are saying now. I have not had a manual car in about 8 years but it has always been my habit to be in neutral when parked.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:50 AM   #7
japitzer

Drives: 2016 Red hot Camaro, miss my 2012
EBrake

Quote:
I don't have an issue relying on an Ebrake system. They use Electric brakes on the Boeing 787 which i work on, and they work just fine.

Just saying, but it would be nice to have a remote start for the manual vehicles.
japitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:18 PM   #8
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
None of the electroncs will support it and gm is against having the manual having remote start due to legal issues. Untill somebdy hacks the ECM, it wont happen and will void warranty.

It may happen as some of these cars move out of warranty in 3 yrs.
You can simply hotwire the clutch start switch. No hacking of the ECM needed as the ECM will think the clutch is pushed all the way in. Just make sure you park in neutral every time.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:57 PM   #9
Husker67

Drives: '22 Camaro 2SS 1LE Wild Cherry
That is what the e-brake is for. I don't always leave my car out of gear, but I do and don't worry about the brake holding.
Husker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:46 AM   #10
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
It might just be as simple as coding that feature to "on" and replacing your key with the one that automatic cars come with.
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:57 AM   #11
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
There is a setting in the ECM to bypass the clutch pedal check before cranking the engine. Assuming you don't mind flashing the ECM, this would solve one problem. (Obviously, there are warranty concerns etc.. I just wanted to point out the setting.)

The setting is "Clutch InterlocK"... Notice the description text at the bottom of the window.

Name:  ClutchInterlock.png
Views: 6519
Size:  26.6 KB

I had a buddy who wired a remote start on a 4th gen. He had a switch for the e-brake, but didn't have a safety switch to ensure the car was in neutral... Long story short the e-brake won't hold back the torque of a starter motor and it cost him a garage door.
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:20 AM   #12
gippy87

Drives: 2016 2ss
I've always wondered this same thing. The technology is there, the car knows if its in neutral or not so why cant manual's have remote starters from the factory also??
gippy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:19 PM   #13
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gippy87 View Post
I've always wondered this same thing. The technology is there, the car knows if its in neutral or not so why cant manual's have remote starters from the factory also??
I agree. Some people will say that GM will not take on the liability because it's an electronic part that can fail but this is 2017, almost every safety system in the car works with electronic components.
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:57 AM   #14
gippy87

Drives: 2016 2ss
I know automatic trans remote starters check that the car is in park prior to allowing it to start. Usually this just intercepts a signal from a park position sensor. I was thinking if they make a kit for cars this new I could install it in a manual using that same setup but instead grab a signal off the neutral position sensor.
gippy87 is offline   Reply With Quote