Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 11-24-2020, 11:00 AM   #15
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubtub View Post
Thank you guys. Guess I will have to accept no full throttle when I have my winter tires as it pretends it's cornering in a straight line hah. Btw alignment didn't help, I'll try track alignment soon.
Track alignment won't help if anything it will be worse.
Stick with stock alignment for now IMO.
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:16 AM   #16
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
That's odd... I have a 265/40/19 PA-4 N-Spec square setup that does not have this issue at all. Possibly the non N-Spec tires are a bit less capable? IDK...
Old 11-24-2020, 11:32 AM   #17
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
Quote:
Having an issue that noone can seem to figure out or talks about.
Quote:
Seems kind of ridiculous that you can't safely full throttle without danger in "performance winter tires."
Jesus Christ some people.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #18
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaska View Post
Jesus Christ some people.
455 hp isn't a lot these days. IMO he has a valid issue. I have no problem with WOT with my performance winter tires, it's smooth and stable but the N-Specs I got are a Porsche-specific design that are different from regular PA-4s.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #19
Tubtub

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS 1LE
It could be 80 degrees out and dry as hell, back end still moves around back and forth rhythmically at 70 mph in 3rd full throttle. This car does not have enough power to spin the tires on dry winter days going 70.
Tubtub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:48 AM   #20
DaveC113

Quote:
It could be 80 degrees out and dry as hell, back end still moves around back and forth rhythmically at 70 mph in 3rd full throttle. This car does not have enough power to spin the tires on dry winter days going 70.
Well, Michelin does not recommend using PA4s above 45 degrees. As temps get higher the tire gets softer, at 80 it's going to be too soft for normal performance... maybe this is your issue? Does it do the same when it's <45 degrees out?
Old 11-24-2020, 11:49 AM   #21
Tubtub

I think that people are not understanding what I'm saying. I understand everything your saying alpha but.. Does anyone with actual experience with winter setup with oem sizes of wheel/tire confirm this is a normal experience? I'm pretty sure it's an issue. I even get it going 100 mph under full throttle, warm dry conditions, only with my winter setup. I'm not an idiot I realize the compound is softer, higher profile tires slightly, yes there will be more tire flex. But not to the point where my back end pretends it's cornering in a straight line.

ANYONE CONFIRM they have oem size wheel/tire combo with winter tires having my same issue? Are you afraid to accelerate under full throttle at 70 mph as your car back end sways back and forth??? I'm not saying only right when you hit the gas, I'm saying continually as I accelerate THE WHOLE TIME

I already got an alignment. I think it's because I chose 10" rims and 285 tires for the back and it is an issue? But I'm not sure. I'm not dense. No one else can figure it out lol.

And yes it does the same thing no matter the weather.

Also my car works flawlessly with the summer stock setup.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:57 AM   #22
Tubtub

Thank you Dave for confirming my experience is not a normal from someone who has a square winter setup.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #23
Tubtub

Alpha I'm not dismissing what you're saying because you have good points but I think there's another factor at play here. I have a suspicion this wouldn't be as bad of an issue if I used oem sizes for my winter setup. But who knows.

I totally get the tires are going to flex more and seem less sturdy upon hard acceleration vs oem summer, but still shouldn't be so bad. And I don't remember them being this bad the first season I bought this winter setup. Idk
Old 11-24-2020, 12:05 PM   #24
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Having an issue that noone can seem to figure out or talks about. 2019 ss 1le, winter tire setup i put together is 19x10 wheels with 285/35/19 tires x4. Offset is at 23, it's the mrr m716 replica wheels.

Issue I've been having is upon straight line hard acceleration the back end is consistently squirrelly, it don't track straight. Wtf is up? Just because I used smaller rear wheels???

Most noticeable in 3rd gear from 60-90 mph.**
Quote:
That's what I thought. It feels super dangerous on the freeway switching lanes , downshifting to 3rd between 60-90 mph. Just moves rhythmically back and forth like I'm cornering. Anyway word of caution for anyone contemplating square setup it sucks.
Quote:
I have the alpin pa4. Best you can get for winter. Also, I'm not having any issue with wheelspin. Seems kind of ridiculous that you can't safely full throttle without danger in "performance winter tires."

Quote:
Quote:
I think that people are not understanding what I'm saying. I understand everything your saying alpha but.. Does anyone with actual experience with winter setup with oem sizes of wheel/tire confirm this is a normal experience? I'm pretty sure it's an issue. I even get it going 100 mph under full throttle, warm dry conditions, only with my winter setup. I'm not an idiot I realize the compound is softer, higher profile tires slightly, yes there will be more tire flex. But not to the point where my back end pretends it's cornering in a straight line.

ANYONE CONFIRM they have oem size wheel/tire combo with winter tires having my same issue? Are you afraid to accelerate under full throttle at 70 mph as your car back end sways back and forth???

I already got an alignment. I think it's because I chose 10" rims and 285 tires for the back and it is an issue. I'm not dense.
1. What temperatures have you been driving in with this winter setup? You mention 80F, which is way too high to be loading up winter tires!
> I can tell you, most winter tires, when you get about ~40F, they begin to become "squirrley" or nervous when put under heavy load. Certainly above 50F - I've seen this, for myself, amidst warm-spells in winter (going from 20's to 30's to 50's to mid-60's and back down to 30's over the course of two weeks; same car, same winter tire). Their compounds are simply NOT designed for that environment. They are designed for sub-40's. They only need to be "safe" to drive on above that temperature range. In addition, the tire construction is very different than a summer tire and can even be so compared to an "all season" - softer sidewalls, deep tread depth, many sipes, channels and grooves (these three things are there, functionally, to evacuate water, slush and snow and to generate "biting edges" on ice but at the expense of ultimate dry grip) and the belt packages may be placed to allow more tread surface flex.
2. What kind of air pressures are you running?
3. Is there anything else you've changed with the car when you switched to the winter setup?
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:10 PM   #25
Tubtub

Mountain thanks for joining in. I only have my winter tires on in the winter, the 80 degree comment was a hyperbole to basically just say temp doesn't matter I have found, it always happens. Haven't changed a thing cept cold air intake. air pressures are 32 cold.

It is slightly less noticeable with track mode on, stiffening up how much my back end is allowed to swing back and forth.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #26
Tubtub

Can anyone else with winter tires confirm my experience is normal?

Cruising at 60 mph on the freeway in 50 degree ish weather, slam the throttle going straight all the way up to 100 mph.

Does your back end sway back and forth predictably the whole time and you feel like you might die?? Thanks.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:33 PM   #27
Silent_H_

Drives: '21 V6 1LE
How much is it swaying back and forth? Winter tires are squishy by design so it could just be that they are squishing unevenly due to the sudden force applied, and then kinda oscillating back and forth a bit.

Like others have said, might be worth getting the alignment looked at. Definitely don't want to lose control at 80-100 mph!

Good luck dude!
Silent_H_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:04 PM   #28
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Can anyone else with winter tires confirm my experience is normal?

Cruising at 60 mph on the freeway in 50 degree ish weather, slam the throttle going straight all the way up to 100 mph.

Does your back end sway back and forth predictably the whole time and you feel like you might die?? Thanks.
I had this issue in my Hellcat when i switched to wider rear rims and tires. They weren't even winter tires they were the same Pirelli Pzeros as stock but wider. However I didn't know to check the load ratings on the tires and I think I had Porsche spec tires on a boat and that was what caused my issue. Maybe check the load rating on your tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_H_ View Post
How much is it swaying back and forth? Winter tires are squishy by design so it could just be that they are squishing unevenly due to the sudden force applied, and then kinda oscillating back and forth a bit.
This is exactly what happened with my Hellcat. It would continue oscillating back and forth increasing in magnitude until I let off the throttle. Like Tub mentions, sometimes it felt like i might die. Seemed to do it under any level of acceleration whether i floored it in 3rd gear or floored it lugging in 6th gear.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote