Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-24-2020, 11:37 AM   #1
Cleancoupe

Drives: 18 ZL1 1LE
Catch Can & Intercooler Reservoir Questions

I currently have a mostly stock 2018 ZL1 1LE with a rotofab air intake, Soler TB & AWE catback exhaust. I am thinking about adding a catch can and an intercooler expansion reservoir to my car.

I understand the pros of the catch can (catch any blow by oil) and the reservoir (purge air from the system), but are there any cons to these systems?

Any particular ones people running on their car that they recommend or don't recommend?
Thanks,
Cleancoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #2
Krowser

Drives: ZL1 Mosaic Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleancoupe View Post
I currently have a mostly stock 2018 ZL1 1LE with a rotofab air intake, Soler TB & AWE catback exhaust. I am thinking about adding a catch can and an intercooler expansion reservoir to my car.

I understand the pros of the catch can (catch any blow by oil) and the reservoir (purge air from the system), but are there any cons to these systems?

Any particular ones people running on their car that they recommend or don't recommend?
Thanks,
...there sure is!! ...A VOIDED WARRANTY!!!!..

You would have to remove those items only if you have a MAJOR powertrain problem that requires dealership photographs to be sent to GM or a GM engineer personal inspection...UNLESS you are in good with your dealership
Krowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:47 PM   #3
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
I've heard about this intercooler reservoir suggestion before.... I'm interested what people on this thread say.... I'm already in on the Catch Can.
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:17 PM   #4
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
There are no cons for the reservoir really other than cost. I would not even mess with the ADM setup (its basically the same parts you get in any of the big 3 aftermarket kits for the SS camaro) or anything that sits over the header. My reasoning is the reservoirs are nice pieces just to save time and make bleeding easier but, Sitting over the exhaust does no favors, and it doesn't really provide any extra capacity which goes a long way. I don't think it will hurt anything other than radiant heat blasting the tank constantly but it definitely doesn't help like the others can.

few choices basically..

ADM & BIG 3 Racing one is plastic one metal both nice but both sit over the headers. I suppose if you coupled them with the fender mount 1.5 gal tank from prospeed it might add some capacity but now your talking 1000 bucks for 2 items that will not work as good as my next suggestions.

There is also a front bumper style which can be seen on Lethal Camaro's Youtube channel in the title that has chiller install in the name made by CPR.. this is by far adds capacity and does not sit over the header to get heat soaked. It's also a lot easier to install just tying into the coolant lines, mounting the reservoir, and making use of of the oem pump. It should do 3 things.. Bleed the system, add capacity, and delay the inevitable heat soak issues.

The next style are the trunk mount systems that allow you to run below ambient temps by using ice. They also add 5 gallons plus capacity giving tons more time before heat soaking occurs or I should say where the factory exchanger can't keep temps just over ambient anymore. They solve cooling problems for most high hp cars and track guys setups most of the time not even using ice. There a little more pricey because they require another coolant pump to be added which also helps for better cooling, they also are more time consuming to set up, and if your using the ice feature I've heard that bag ice isn't distilled so it could lead to corrosion inside the bricks.

The cans down side is warranty factor and cost only it doesn't really take any extra time drain while your doing your oil change. Stick with the 2 major brands... Elite claims they capture more oil blah blah.. and Mighty Mouse claims with its unique valve system under the breather it can vent excess boost pressure that gets past the rings and save oil seals and gaskets. I'll take the the vent style can with that safety feature over capture of more oil any day..

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:18 PM   #5
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
my ADM intercooler reservoir has sat in the area over the exhaust manifold for many miles at VIR (>7000miles) and has not failed. This area seems bad but has not caused any issue to date.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:28 PM   #6
Cleancoupe

I know both of these mods could be a cause for a dealership to not cover warranty work on any engine repairs that could potentially rise, but I think both are easily removable if that situation was ever come up.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:35 PM   #7
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
ADM reservoir works fine, never had any problem. Not worried about the mounting position - paranoia - check it for leaks after install and you're good

Both catch can and reservoir can be removed easily if there is a major warranty claim (even though neither have a negative effect on engine reliability, if anything they improve it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
Elite claims they capture more oil..
Well, it does - and isn't that the point?

Quote:
Mighty Mouse claims with its unique valve system under the breather it can vent excess boost pressure that gets past the rings and save oil seals and gaskets.
From the Elite website

The E2-XTM Dual outlet system:

The dual valve addresses crankcase pressure building due to lack of intake manifold vacuum under acceleration and intake manifold drops to zero due to reversion pules that occur under acceleration by always providing a near constant evacuation and flush flow through the crankcase without venting to the atmosphere. The dual outlet series allows the user to tap into the suction available pre-throttle body to take over the evacuation when under acceleration on NA engines and top mount SC engines, or the turbo/Centrifugal SC inlet for those that have not found a suitable solution for the unique requirements for proper crankcase evacuation, avoiding pressure buildup in the crankcase, and wanting to maintain emissions compliance for street use WITHOUT sacrificing the longevity and durability of your engine as the "Vented" or "Breather" solution do. Do it right, or don't do it at all!!
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:35 PM   #8
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
my ADM intercooler reservoir has sat in the area over the exhaust manifold for many miles at VIR (>7000miles) and has not failed. This area seems bad but has not caused any issue to date.
Mine never has a problem either from failure.. but I can tell u its the worst place to mount something your trying to cool.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:39 PM   #9
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
I can put my hand on it after a hard run, it doesn't get that hot - plenty of clearance from the header
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:36 PM   #10
Cleancoupe

The CPR engine by expansion tank looks pretty nice
Old 11-29-2020, 05:41 AM   #11
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Unfortunantly - But true!

I wish there was a perfect answer with a perfect price point and perfect ease of install...But we are forced to deal with factors.

Factor 1 - Not many choices to mount something of size under the hood with out some small short comings.

Factor 2 - Not easy to put together something that works and meets a price point that is attainable by most.

Factor 3 - Short comings, Heat due to location is not as bad as you would think. Sitting still when there is minimum airflow to help move the under hood heat away from the Headers, Cylinder heads, Engine block, Radiator(Heat sources) are all short comings in nature. But logically speaking ....The cooling coming from the supercharger outlet(heated after it does its job) goes into the resivoir hot...No biggy. The hot water goes from the reservoir to the pump and then into a FACTORY PRE COOLER on the driver side air duct inlet and then from this pre cooler to the main CENTER HEAT EXCHANGER which has air being pulled through it from the MAIN RADIATOR FAN as well as vehicle speed when need most and then once cooled is sent to the supercharger in a cooled state ready to do its job.

Better places to make a better difference - More efficient Center Mount Heat exchanger (https://lsa-conversion-store.myshopi...heat-exchanger) that has more capacity which intern adds to the entire intercooler cooling system capacity.

Header wrap

Add a fan to the pre cooler

These are all things we have done in our shop and test with success.

If you have any questions feel free to call or text me at 214-228-8782 or email.
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:46 PM   #12
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
Mine never has a problem either from failure.. but I can tell u its the worst place to mount something your trying to cool.
GM stuck the coolant expansion tank on the passenger side in basically the same spot so it isn't exactly the worst place using their logic. I suppose a bit of reflective thermal wrap on the underside could help.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote