Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-20-2020, 11:43 AM   #99
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurus2SS View Post
Under calm normal driving Im hitting between 9-10 mpg. If I drove it hard like before I'm pretty sure it would go lower
This is preposterously low. Is this the "instantaneous" fuel economy? And what does it show on a highway? You should be getting up into the 30's at highway cruise.

Once the car is warmed up and you are cruising, the car is running in closed loop. That means the air/fuel mixture is completely dictated by feedback from the oxygen sensor. There is no learning time for this.

The MPG reported by the trip computer is entirely based on injector timing data. It looks at how far you have driven and how long the injectors were open over that time. Assuming constant fuel rail pressure, it knows how much fuel you consumed over a given distance.

If you are getting 10 mpg at highway cruise, I would probably start by looking at fuel trims. If a scanner confirms it is running everything rich, I would think about a faulty oxygen sensor.

Well, at least the battery is holding charge!
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:41 PM   #100
Ailurus2SS

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Is it possible that the ECU is still 'learning' and you're simply running a bit rich? Depending on how long the battery was disconnected, all of the trim adjustments may have been lost and will take some driving to get them re-learned correctly.

It sucks when issues that can't be reliably reproduced get addressed... All you can do it wait to see if it recurs, but you don't have a method to try and cause the problem. So, there's never any "proof" that it got fixed.
the car has been dead with them for about 4 weeks but idk exactly how the ECU is when it comes to relearning things. The reading are from the trip mileage and from the fuel economy page under 25 and 50 miles range
Ailurus2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:44 PM   #101
Ailurus2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
I don't think mine could use that much fuel no matter how hard I drove it. Something doesn't sound right. Is your car modified?
Only thing modified is a Rotofab CAI and the cats both primary and secondary, were cut off of the stock headers. Since you get a CEL without cats I had the car tuned to remove the CEL for them but I don't think the fuel map in the tune was touched.

Weirdly enough i had to put my tune back on the car when i received it because I was getting both CELs again for the right and left O2s but they instantly went away with the tune reapplied.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:47 PM   #102
Ailurus2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
This is preposterously low. Is this the "instantaneous" fuel economy? And what does it show on a highway? You should be getting up into the 30's at highway cruise.

Once the car is warmed up and you are cruising, the car is running in closed loop. That means the air/fuel mixture is completely dictated by feedback from the oxygen sensor. There is no learning time for this.

The MPG reported by the trip computer is entirely based on injector timing data. It looks at how far you have driven and how long the injectors were open over that time. Assuming constant fuel rail pressure, it knows how much fuel you consumed over a given distance.

If you are getting 10 mpg at highway cruise, I would probably start by looking at fuel trims. If a scanner confirms it is running everything rich, I would think about a faulty oxygen sensor.

Well, at least the battery is holding charge!
The reading were both coming from the trip page and the fuel economy page on the 25 miles setting and the 50 miles setting. Its only been about a 50-75 ish miles since I got the car back. Mostly city like driving because when I went on the highway I hit some traffic. Havent had a chance to cruise with it yet but normally cruising on the highway I average about 25 mpg
Old 11-22-2020, 12:15 AM   #103
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Well maybe the ECU is still learning and at least its holding a charge. The Lord works in mysterious ways.
Good night.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:38 AM   #104
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
The fact that you had to re-apply the tune almost certainly tells you that the ECU lost all previous settings. That means it reverted back to complete stock settings for everything including all little tweaks for trim levels and such for fuel/air. I would continue to drive and see what happens, but I honestly wouldn't get wrapped up in the in-car computer for mileage info - ever. Track it using a calculator between fill-up's otherwise the numbers are genuinely meaningless.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:25 AM   #105
Nitefall17

Drives: Camaro 1SS A8 Vert
Do you have any after market LED or tail lights ?????
Nitefall17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:54 PM   #106
Ailurus2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitefall17 View Post
Do you have any after market LED or tail lights ?????
I had oracle headlights and underflows but those were all disconnected once the issues started to issolate the problem and the issue happened for a couple months after them being disconnected so it's definitely not them.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:56 PM   #107
Ailurus2SS

So I have a SCT BDX and I've been using the gauge on it to monitor the fuel pressure and at idle and low acceleration (under 2k rpm) the pressure has been around 46 psi ±2. The mpg has still been around 9 mpg according to the 25 miles economy range.

If I paddle shift the car and let rev out higher I can get the pressure to low 60s and have had the mpg shoot up to around 11 but I need to test this further. Idk how that would make sense.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:07 PM   #108
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
I avg. approx. 11 mpg and I take it redline in 3rd, 4th and 5th at least once a day
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:03 AM   #109
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
So I have a SCT BDX and I've been using the gauge on it to monitor the fuel pressure and at idle and low acceleration (under 2k rpm) the pressure has been around 46 psi ±2. The mpg has still been around 9 mpg according to the 25 miles economy range.

If I paddle shift the car and let rev out higher I can get the pressure to low 60s and have had the mpg shoot up to around 11 but I need to test this further. Idk how that would make sense.
Ignore the in-car computer. Hand-calc between tank fills - it's the only way to get reliable numbers.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:21 PM   #110
Ailurus2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I avg. approx. 11 mpg and I take it redline in 3rd, 4th and 5th at least once a day
Yea I would get 12 doing about the same but I was trying to drive normal when I noticed I was getting 8
Old 11-26-2020, 09:34 AM   #111
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Yea I would get 12 doing about the same but I was trying to drive normal when I noticed I was getting 8
You're going off of what the car is telling you, though. And that calculator is never correct. The question is: Is that calculation much further off than normal, or is the MPG significantly down? The ONLY way to know what you're actually getting is hand calc.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:03 AM   #112
Ailurus2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
You're going off of what the car is telling you, though. And that calculator is never correct. The question is: Is that calculation much further off than normal, or is the MPG significantly down? The ONLY way to know what you're actually getting is hand calc.
Just waiting for my tank to fully be empty to start fresh for hand calculations. Will update when I do.

Tags
electrical issues, fuel pump, not starting