Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions


BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #1
1roadking
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1 silver A10
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Loudon NH
Posts: 133
Expell and ceramic pro

I’m having the whole front end from the apillars and roofline forward, plus the rockers and around the back wheels covered in expell, plus ceramic pro installed over everything for $3000. He’s getting me a price on wrapping the whole car with expell before I drop it off. Thoughts? Is it worth doing the whole car or just stay with what I’m getting.
1roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:29 PM   #2
Glen e


 
Glen e's Avatar
 
Drives: Garnet 2LT RS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: /Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 9,509
Putting expel over an entire volume production car is ridiculous. Plus you can wipe on the ceramic yourself and save a lot of money. There’s no hard polish prep when you’re putting it on expel. Alcohol off the expel with a wipe, wipe on the ceramic… I personally think detailers charging huge amounts of money for ceramic over expel is one of the biggest rip offs of the detailing business. Because there’s no real prep.
Glen e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:03 AM   #3
Evolvedx27

 
Evolvedx27's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2005 Outback
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 940
Xpel
__________________
Summit White 2017 ZL1. M6. Roto-Fab, Full Stainless Works exhaust, ATI Damper/15% Lower, Full Xpel PPF. JTM Motorsports Tuned.
Wicked White 2011 Evo X. 5 speed. Full bolt ons, E85. (Sold)
Silver 2005 Outback. Daily/commuter.
Evolvedx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:05 AM   #4
Evolvedx27

 
Evolvedx27's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2005 Outback
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Putting expel over an entire volume production car is ridiculous. Plus you can wipe on the ceramic yourself and save a lot of money. There’s no hard polish prep when you’re putting it on expel. Alcohol off the expel with a wipe, wipe on the ceramic… I personally think detailers charging huge amounts of money for ceramic over expel is one of the biggest rip offs of the detailing business. Because there’s no real prep.
I did full wrap solely for the self healing feature. Not even a hairline scratch/swirl, anywhere.
__________________
Summit White 2017 ZL1. M6. Roto-Fab, Full Stainless Works exhaust, ATI Damper/15% Lower, Full Xpel PPF. JTM Motorsports Tuned.
Wicked White 2011 Evo X. 5 speed. Full bolt ons, E85. (Sold)
Silver 2005 Outback. Daily/commuter.
Evolvedx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:12 AM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!
 
Gunkk's Avatar
 
Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolvedx27 View Post
I did full wrap solely for the self healing feature. Not even a hairline scratch/swirl, anywhere.
+1

Exactly. The whole point is to be worry free. Ceramic coatings only get you so far...
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:15 AM   #6
S.T.A.R.
 
Drives: 18'-1LE
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: SHENANDOAH, PA
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolvedx27 View Post
I did full wrap solely for the self healing feature. Not even a hairline scratch/swirl, anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
+1

Exactly. The whole point is to be worry free. Ceramic coatings only get you so far...
I was thinking the same thing, a full wrap could set you back 3-5k though.

We're getting a price on a complete wrap today on Xpel Ultra.

Last edited by S.T.A.R.; 10-17-2017 at 09:35 AM.
S.T.A.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:16 AM   #7
k20attack
 
k20attack's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 M6
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Boston
Posts: 97
I'm wrapping the whole car except for the doors and rear bumper and I got 2 quotes. One was $4K and the other was around $4500. Wrap includes headlights and a small piece behind each rear wheel as well.

If you're a perfectionist about your car like I am then the value is there. Especially if you use waterless car wash products like I do. Xpell will help prevent swirl marks when using those products. I also tailgate people a lot and my previous camaro got a lot of rock chips and I had to repaint the hood and front splitter. So you could save $ that way as well.
k20attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:34 AM   #8
Evolvedx27

 
Evolvedx27's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2005 Outback
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
+1

Exactly. The whole point is to be worry free. Ceramic coatings only get you so far...
Yup. Had ceramic pro done to my last car. Junk.
__________________
Summit White 2017 ZL1. M6. Roto-Fab, Full Stainless Works exhaust, ATI Damper/15% Lower, Full Xpel PPF. JTM Motorsports Tuned.
Wicked White 2011 Evo X. 5 speed. Full bolt ons, E85. (Sold)
Silver 2005 Outback. Daily/commuter.
Evolvedx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:39 AM   #9
Evolvedx27

 
Evolvedx27's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2005 Outback
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by k20attack View Post
I'm wrapping the whole car except for the doors and rear bumper and I got 2 quotes. One was $4K and the other was around $4500. Wrap includes headlights and a small piece behind each rear wheel as well.

If you're a perfectionist about your car like I am then the value is there. Especially if you use waterless car wash products like I do. Xpell will help prevent swirl marks when using those products. I also tailgate people a lot and my previous camaro got a lot of rock chips and I had to repaint the hood and front splitter. So you could save $ that way as well.
Just make sure you shop around and check quality of work. I got my full car done with pretty much all edges tucked for 4k. Only spots that are not tucked are front bumper to quarter panels and rear bumper to rear quarter panels. Only spots that are not wrapped is the upper and lower grill because its impossible to wrap with xpel.
__________________
Summit White 2017 ZL1. M6. Roto-Fab, Full Stainless Works exhaust, ATI Damper/15% Lower, Full Xpel PPF. JTM Motorsports Tuned.
Wicked White 2011 Evo X. 5 speed. Full bolt ons, E85. (Sold)
Silver 2005 Outback. Daily/commuter.
Evolvedx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:32 PM   #10
WILWAXU
 
WILWAXU's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Red Hot SS 1LE
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 509
For me, the clear bra is for protection. The ceramic coat is for ease of maintenance.

I have SunTek on all the impact surfaces, to include the entire front fender(s). Everything is coated in Ceramic Pro.
__________________
John Brown
2017 Camaro SS 1LE
My FQuick Garage
Instagram @wilwaxu
WILWAXU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #11
IneedAZ


 
IneedAZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2018 Daytona 392
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tampa
Posts: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWAXU View Post
For me, the clear bra is for protection. The ceramic coat is for ease of maintenance.

I have SunTek on all the impact surfaces, to include the entire front fender(s). Everything is coated in Ceramic Pro.
x2
__________________
Sold 2012 2LT RS 12.3@112 old setup

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17

2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:13 PM   #12
ABM Camaro
 
ABM Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 65
Can these products be easily removed ? I was at a car show, and I saw it on ZL1 Camaro on half the hood and half the front fender was covered with a protective film, and I didn't like the way the car looked.

When you looked at the car from the side, it looked like someone took a key and scratched the across the hood and down the fender with a key, but it was the film.
It would have looked a lot better covering the whole hood and fender. I'm sure it works great, but took away from the look of the beautiful car to me.
ABM Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:48 PM   #13
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!
 
Gunkk's Avatar
 
Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 1,913
Filming half a hood...

The only really good way to film the car is to remove the emblems and heat extractor, cover all panels completely, and tuck all the edges. Then there are no lines to see, worry about collecting dirt, etc
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:52 PM   #14
Glen e


 
Glen e's Avatar
 
Drives: Garnet 2LT RS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: /Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 9,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM Camaro View Post
Can these products be easily removed ? I was at a car show, and I saw it on ZL1 Camaro on half the hood and half the front fender was covered with a protective film, and I didn't like the way the car looked.

When you looked at the car from the side, it looked like someone took a key and scratched the across the hood and down the fender with a key, but it was the film.
It would have looked a lot better covering the whole hood and fender. I'm sure it works great, but took away from the look of the beautiful car to me.
No , they are a bitch to remove…
Glen e is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.