Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 08-08-2019, 06:49 AM   #15
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
Would SCCA be better or one of the other clubs previously mentioned?
Personally i like both PCA and BMW clubs (albeit i also run with other orgs). They have a strict and well designed instructor training programs, classroom sessions, etc. IMO they provide a well organized, but very friendly environment focused on learning, development and comradery for regular car enthusiasts with street cars.
Racing focused orgs are of a bit different flavor imo.
Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #16
nasbagoat

Drives: 17 SW 1LE
@ House Stark

Something that may not have been explained to you. These tracks generally dont put on their own events, the track is rented by various organizations that you can participate with.

You have racing organizations, NASA & SCCA.

Club Organizations, PCA, BMWNA, Audi Club, etc

Private Organizations, TrackDaze, Chin, Hooked on Driving, Auto Interests (a big one where you live).

Most of these groups at least advertise their events on Motorsports Reg if not let you sign up there, there are a few private groups that dont.

I will second that I have found PCA a very enjoyable group to learn from. They have a big emphasis on safety, the pace is higher because the cars are generally faster in the lower run groups(no miatas), and because they are more expensive to begin with people care about their cars more.
nasbagoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:18 AM   #17
TrackClub

Great post!
Old 08-08-2019, 10:23 AM   #18
HouseStark

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasbagoat View Post
@ House Stark

Something that may not have been explained to you. These tracks generally dont put on their own events, the track is rented by various organizations that you can participate with.

You have racing organizations, NASA & SCCA.

Club Organizations, PCA, BMWNA, Audi Club, etc

Private Organizations, TrackDaze, Chin, Hooked on Driving, Auto Interests (a big one where you live).

Most of these groups at least advertise their events on Motorsports Reg if not let you sign up there, there are a few private groups that dont.

I will second that I have found PCA a very enjoyable group to learn from. They have a big emphasis on safety, the pace is higher because the cars are generally faster in the lower run groups(no miatas), and because they are more expensive to begin with people care about their cars more.
Thanks for pointing all that out. I guess which is the most reliable then? I think my biggest concern is will I get enough track time? For example with NASA Nelson Ledges isn't even an option so I either drive to Pennsylvania, Michigan, or Columbus-Ohio area which would range from 5 hour round trip to 10 hour round trip. With NASA most of them are separated to HPDE class 1-4. So the upcoming event at Mid-Ohio is a 2-3 day event but concerning HPDE only class 3-4 so I can't even go to it I'd have to go to Michigan or Illinois so I want to make sure I'm getting adequate seat time for my efforts.

Are the private and clubs just as reliable as NASA or SCCA?
HouseStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:41 PM   #19
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
PCA is very reliable! Of course it can vary region to region, but they are using the regulations & scheduling that my Region ( Suncoast ) pioneered a long time ago. In my region (I've been an Instructor & Chief Track Instructor for 30 Years), every group gets 4 thirty minute sessions
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #20
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
PCA is very reliable! Of course it can vary region to region, but they are using the regulations & scheduling that my Region ( Suncoast ) pioneered a long time ago. In my region (I've been an Instructor & Chief Track Instructor for 30 Years), every group gets 4 thirty minute sessions
I wish your group was in Northeast Ohio
Old 08-08-2019, 03:37 PM   #21
Tango1LE

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
HouseStark, here is another good sight that looks at all clubs/locations, etc..

https://hpdejunkie.com/

I too found looking for HPDE info confusing at first... but once you hook up with a group or two, they are all great car guys! I run with PDG, PCA, and PBOC, as well as local SCCA. Though most of those clubs are "car-type" specific (i.e. Porsche, Bimmer, etc), they all appreciate American Muscle out there.

this one, along with the one's previously mentioned, should get you pointed in the right direction to enjoy this awesome track toy!
'89 RS 'vert
Tango1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:41 PM   #22
Scraps0f

Drives: 2018 NGM ZL1
I did a Taste of the Track (TOT) participation event with PCA at Watkins Glen, I was blown away with seeing how professionally ran the whole event was, yet how relaxed and friendly it was. Was a great eyeopener to a beginner like me and a very welcoming one at that. I believe the normal run groups (3 of them) each got 4 20 minute sessions a day.
Scraps0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:04 AM   #23
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango1LE View Post
HouseStark, here is another good sight that looks at all clubs/locations, etc..

https://hpdejunkie.com/

I too found looking for HPDE info confusing at first... but once you hook up with a group or two, they are all great car guys! I run with PDG, PCA, and PBOC, as well as local SCCA. Though most of those clubs are "car-type" specific (i.e. Porsche, Bimmer, etc), they all appreciate American Muscle out there.

this one, along with the one's previously mentioned, should get you pointed in the right direction to enjoy this awesome track toy!
Thank you sir! I agree it’s very confusing at first and hard to not only find an event but know which are adequately ran while providing enough seat time to make it worth it. I do think there’s should be a sticky made in the 1LE thread which provides that information and experience just like how all of you kindly did for me. I think it would be great for the community in general. Maybe broken down by region, state, etc.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:09 PM   #24
dbiker207

Drives: 2019 chevy camaro 1ss 1le
With most events your looking at around 2 hours of track time for the day. It doesnt sound like much but you will be exhausted after a full day if youve never been on track before. Its great fun and you should try it, I think it is well worth the drive for you.

Go to motorsportreg.com and click on the event calendar. Then select "driver school" from the filters on the left side of the list to see all of the hpde's in the radius that you set
dbiker207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:02 AM   #25
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbiker207 View Post
With most events your looking at around 2 hours of track time for the day. It doesnt sound like much but you will be exhausted after a full day if youve never been on track before. Its great fun and you should try it, I think it is well worth the drive for you.

Go to motorsportreg.com and click on the event calendar. Then select "driver school" from the filters on the left side of the list to see all of the hpde's in the radius that you set
That just made filtering for events so much easier, thanks.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:33 AM   #26
HouseStark

Ok, guys. I'm signing up for my first track event next month luckily at a track about 40 minutes from my house. Two part question what kind of prep should I do for track day? The tires should be fine I only have 1700 miles on them, should I worry about brake fluid, or anything else? Also, drive modes. Which of the track settings should I use? PTM 1, 2, or Race?
Old 08-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #27
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
Ok, guys. I'm signing up for my first track event next month luckily at a track about 40 minutes from my house. Two part question what kind of prep should I do for track day? The tires should be fine I only have 1700 miles on them, should I worry about brake fluid, or anything else? Also, drive modes. Which of the track settings should I use? PTM 1, 2, or Race?
My suggestions:

1. Motor oil 0w40 dexos2 or 5w40 dexos2
2. Diff fluid before and after first event. Definitely after!
3. DOT4 brake fluid
4. Track alignment
5. Proper helmet (try it on before buying to ensure proper fit). SNELL SA2015 is the current std and valid for 10 yrs. Dont buy any 2010 even if new as they expire next yr. Dont buy any motorcycle helmets (designated by an M) as many orgs dont allow them (they dont provide fire protection).
6. Driving shoes and gloves help with controls but are not mandatory.
7. Get an in car instructor. Hopefully the event covers that. Watch some vids of the track to get a general idea of its layout.
8. Have bags of fun!

PS As far as PTM. If this is your first day, id recommend PTM Sport 1. It offers fairly aggressive calibration but still retains both Stabilitrak and TC.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:46 PM   #28
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
My suggestions:

1. Motor oil 0w40 dexos2 or 5w40 dexos2
2. Diff fluid before and after first event. Definitely after!
3. DOT4 brake fluid
4. Track alignment
5. Proper helmet (try it on before buying to ensure proper fit). SNELL SA2015 is the current std and valid for 10 yrs. Dont buy any 2010 even if new as they expire next yr. Dont buy any motorcycle helmets (designated by an M) as many orgs dont allow them (they dont provide fire protection).
6. Driving shoes and gloves help with controls but are not mandatory.
7. Get an in car instructor. Hopefully the event covers that. Watch some vids of the track to get a general idea of its layout.
8. Have bags of fun!

PS As far as PTM. If this is your first day, id recommend PTM Sport 1. It offers fairly aggressive calibration but still retains both Stabilitrak and TC.
First off great information especially concerning the Helmet. I really do appreciate it. Unfortunately I spoke too soon and the event is sold out very disappointing. But I’ll use this to prep for a possible session this year if not beginning of the season next year.