Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-12-2018, 10:33 PM   #15
HyperspaceTurd

Drives: 17 1SS 6MT, 09 Tacoma TRD Sport
FWIW I didn't get them in my race wheels and I slightly regret it, even though I really had no choice at the time moneywise...

Doot, if you can. That learny tool thingy looks nifty.
HyperspaceTurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:40 PM   #16
hzycamaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Those sensors are convenient to let you know if tire pressure is OK in almost real-time, which is really useful on track IMO
hzycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:22 AM   #17
RXtacy

Drives: 93 RX-7, 17 SS 1LE, 04 RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeed1LE View Post
...but Temp sensors???
The sensors I linked provide both temperature and pressure.
RXtacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:23 AM   #18
RXtacy

Drives: 93 RX-7, 17 SS 1LE, 04 RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanbags View Post
I agree that the PDR data is nice to have.

Just a word of caution - I noticed the TPMS sensors from RXtacy's link have rubber valve stems. I would recommend to get metal valve stems. A good friend of mine had a failure with one of his rubber valve stems during our track event two weeks ago and was greeted with 11PSI in a tire Could be luck, but metal stems are cheap insurance. Another friend who builds cars and runs a race team mentioned that he always uses non-rubber for this reason.

Our OEMs are aluminum if you look at it. OEM P#: 13598787
I must admit that's not something I really thought about. Did the stem actually melt? I'll have to keep an eye out.
RXtacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:29 AM   #19
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
All the modern TPM sensors have the capability to send temp AND pressure data. I added them on my enclosed trailer and the two spares, and it sends both temp and pressure readings using OEM type sensors that sends wireless data to a small display (or your phone). I did this after a sudden blow out in February 2016 coming from an out of state (drag) race. My trailer is always on excellent tires, pressures checked, not overloaded, not driven too fast etc. First trailer tire failure I had since maybe 1994. I don't know if TPMS would have alerted me on the trailer - was it a slow leak that turned into catastrophic failure or what?

A couple of words of caution on the sensors themselves. For high speed use, there are certain part numbers that are validated for the high speeds. I would recommend OEM not aftermarket ones.

Also, for those that don't run them in their race wheel / tire set ups are not only giving up valuable data available via the ALDL / CAN even without PDR, but, are taking a safety risk as per above and below.

On 6/18, at the high speed 3.1-mile Cresson (Texas) track, I got a (luckily) small and slow puncture on my LR. I had my DIC on tire pressures. At the end of the 8-hot lap session, during the cool down lap, I saw the LR decreasing quicker than normal. By the time I got to the pit, the TPMS warning was. Later, looking at the PDR data, the LR stopped increasing pressure at Lap 5 while the others kept increasing through Lap 8. It was not enough to noticeably affect the car as the LR on the 3.1 CCW configuration is by far the least loaded, and the leak was slow enough not to trigger the TPMS during the session. At least the TPMS would have warned me earlier if the leak had been more severe.

I typically drive the car to the track but always carry a full sized spare (and tools) with me and with a good patch / plug kit. I had driven the car to the track that day, but, at Cresson, there are two local shops on site at the track. I did not even lose a session by the time it was repaired. Hot sticky reduced tread depth tires are easy to puncture. In fact, there puncture has very small, hard to see, and nothing was left in the puncture itself when we went to repair it, so, not sure what type of debris caused it.

If you have a massive / sudden blow out / delamination, TPMS may not save you, but with the typical puncture / leak, it can be, and is, a valuable safety system.

My GTO doesn't have TPMS, but, after this latest incident, I'm going to add them to it with a good system like I did on my trailer. If your aftermarket rims won't take a good high speed screw-in TPMS, you can still strap the sensor (without the Schrader valve in) to the barrel like the Vettes and others used to do.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:02 AM   #20
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Like many above, I went with the sensors for my track tires/wheels. I like having the PSI display as a quick check of pressures.

Also, Pi Toolbook lets you plot tire pressure and temp so you can gauge various runs with these metrics versus speed. Should be able to tell if greasy tires are losing speed and increasing nanny interventions.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #21
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreSpeed View Post
Like many above, I went with the sensors for my track tires/wheels. I like having the PSI display as a quick check of pressures.

Also, Pi Toolbook lets you plot tire pressure and temp so you can gauge various runs with these metrics versus speed. Should be able to tell if greasy tires are losing speed and increasing nanny interventions.

I like it too for the metrics on the Cosworth toolbox.
I see GT3 in your avatar..
Attached Images

NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #22
mspeed1LE

Drives: ZL1 1LE SUMMIT WHITE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RXtacy View Post
The sensors I linked provide both temperature and pressure.

Awesome!
2018 ZLE * StudioRSR Half Cage * SkidmarkGarage Rear Seat Delete * ZL1ADDONS Lift Pads * Roto-Fab CAI * Forgestar CF5-V's * Michelin PS4S * Racequip 6 Pt. Harnesses * Sub-strap Brackets by Carmena Performance * Speedhut Shift Light * Leroy Eng. Hidden Hitch (for the TYR RAT)* Gen5DIY Rapid Flash 3rd Brake Light * KOOKS 2" LT * Green Cats * AWE Cat-back Track Edition *

mspeed1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:24 PM   #23
mspeed1LE

Drives: ZL1 1LE SUMMIT WHITE
Just ordered a set of 4 from my dealer. Their pricing was better than anything else I could find... Amazon, Mopac, Autopartsway etc. Did order the learn tool from Amazon tho.
2018 ZLE * StudioRSR Half Cage * SkidmarkGarage Rear Seat Delete * ZL1ADDONS Lift Pads * Roto-Fab CAI * Forgestar CF5-V's * Michelin PS4S * Racequip 6 Pt. Harnesses * Sub-strap Brackets by Carmena Performance * Speedhut Shift Light * Leroy Eng. Hidden Hitch (for the TYR RAT)* Gen5DIY Rapid Flash 3rd Brake Light * KOOKS 2" LT * Green Cats * AWE Cat-back Track Edition *

mspeed1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:26 PM   #24
MoreSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
I like it too for the metrics on the Cosworth toolbox.
I see GT3 in your avatar..
Wow! so that is a GT3! Would love to get a RS but pretty hard to get without paying a big premium.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
Old 07-21-2018, 11:51 AM   #25
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreSpeed View Post
Wow! so that is a GT3! Would love to get a RS but pretty hard to get without paying a big premium.

Yeah my dealer sold to me for MSRP.

So I have to download PI toolbox cause I only downloaded the "Cosworth toolbox"
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #26
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
Yeah my dealer sold to me for MSRP.

So I have to download PI toolbox cause I only downloaded the "Cosworth toolbox"
Even the PI Lite version has a ton of extra info that the regular Cosworth Toolbox does not. Your RS looks great.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:41 AM   #27
MoreSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
Even the PI Lite version has a ton of extra info that the regular Cosworth Toolbox does not. Your RS looks great.
You can get PI Toolbox Lite to do great things like plot one metric against others and against other runs. Then zoom in. However, PI is initially very confusing.

There are some step by step youtube videos to get you started. I followed these instructions initially

and then was able to do a lot of new comparisons on my own.

etc..
Old 07-09-2019, 05:37 AM   #28
Rutkowski

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Hyper Blue
Very helpful page! Guys I have a stupid question to those who already ordered the OEM sensors ^^
Does the gm part 13598787 contain one single sensor or a kit of 4? Thanks
Rutkowski is offline   Reply With Quote