Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-20-2019, 07:29 AM   #29
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpinc View Post
Everything off..
The correct answer to the question, but don't get ahead of your skill level.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:09 PM   #30
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Junkie View Post
Thanks for the information. I’ve done 5 days so far with a couple more coming up. I’m not sure if I’m going to get serious yet. If I keep working in San Francisco I’ve got some ideas on the works. I do enjoy passing other similar housepower cars so I figure it’s time to try something a little less antrusive.

Interesting. Please go into more detail on the benefits of the G3. All the instructors at Simraceway advise to stay with the 3Rs. They tell me the tires were designed for the car. I’ll have to try the 3s and see for myself.
My error, i think i have confused somebody else's post re g3r. Given you have a zl1 1le stay with stock set up. But
I have seen others put cup2s on zl1 1le presumably to enhance longevity. As far as G3 vs G3R, the latter will offer narrower slip angles vs the former (the stickier the tire the narrower the slip angles - usually) meaning less forgiving at the limit. BUT i have not tried G3Rs yet so cant comment on them first hand.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:12 PM   #31
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpinc View Post
Everything off..
The purest of forms for sure, but not necessarily the fastest, nor the best choice for everyone, incl pros. Not to mention a novice with 650hp and tq on tap.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:00 PM   #32
Homeless Junkie

Drives: around in circles few days a month
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
My error, i think i have confused somebody else's post re g3r. Given you have a zl1 1le stay with stock set up. But
I have seen others put cup2s on zl1 1le presumably to enhance longevity. As far as G3 vs G3R, the latter will offer narrower slip angles vs the former (the stickier the tire the narrower the slip angles - usually) meaning less forgiving at the limit. BUT i have not tried G3Rs yet so cant comment on them first hand.
Oh Ok now I see why you're warning me. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'll need much more seat time to get to the limit of the Rs. I go around turns sometimes and feel like I'm going to engage warp drive. I never hear the tires break traction except for a couple safe turns on the course.

Last edited by Homeless Junkie; 08-21-2019 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Homeless Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #33
TrackClub

Quote:
Oh Ok now I see why you're warning me. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'll need much more seat time to get to the limit of the Rs. I go around turns sometimes and feel like I'm going to engage warp drive. I never hear the tires break traction except for a couple safe turns on the course.
Yep seat time is king! You gotta FEEL the grip: front and rear. As much as sometimes the tires will talk to you, other times they won't. I suppose it depends on tires themselves (some are a lot more audible than others), but also track surface, temps, etc. FEELING the grip (or lack of) is the only reliable choice here. Imo.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #34
Homeless Junkie

Drives: around in circles few days a month
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Yep seat time is king! You gotta FEEL the grip: front and rear. As much as sometimes the tires will talk to you, other times they won't. I suppose it depends on tires themselves (some are a lot more audible than others), but also track surface, temps, etc. FEELING the grip (or lack of) is the only reliable choice here. Imo.
I’m trying.. there’s two world class tracks within 2 hours of SF. I’ve been accepted to a local club. Now all I have to do is add up membership dues, tires, fuel and brakes to make sure I can swing it financially. Heading to the track once a month isn’t too hard on the wallet. Once a week is a different story haha..
Homeless Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:34 PM   #35
TrackClub

Quote:
I’m trying.. there’s two world class tracks within 2 hours of SF. I’ve been accepted to a local club. Now all I have to do is add up membership dues, tires, fuel and brakes to make sure I can swing it financially. Heading to the track once a month isn’t too hard on the wallet. Once a week is a different story haha..
Dont forget about fluid changes too
Yep this hobby aint cheap...especially if one wishes to get good at it.