Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 08-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #1
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Goodyear Supercar 3 Tires: Early vs. New Production

I saw somewhere on here that it was mentioned that the GM spec SC3 tires for SS 1LE/ZL1 were tweeked at some point from their initial production. Anyone know anymore about this?

At first, when reading what I did (where ever I did), I didn't think much of it. I recently put on a set of 2019 SS 1LE take off tires on my 2017 SS 1LE and noticed a minor aesthetic difference and also that the tires seem to be a little softer.

The aesthetic difference is that the sidewall/rim protector area is a little more pronounced on the newer tires. The softness I noticed before mounting the tires I didn't think much of it as they were "brand new" (literally only a hand-full of miles on them from the 2019 car they were taken off of).

Doing a time trial event weekend on them, during and after (cooled-down, in the garage) the newer tires feel softer and sticker than the versions that came on my car. I am able to say this because I only put the 2019 take-offs on front, leaving the older tires on the rear.

I don't feel that I've done enough to the old tires to have them effected by ozone, UV or heat-cycling enough to produce this difference in tread softness/stickiness, but maybe I am wrong. Car has less than 10k miles on it, it stays in a garage when not being used and the rear tires have been through the equivalent of 6 track days.

On track, I can't say I noticed any significant difference in grip, but I will say the car felt, in a few corners, a bit more loose mid-corner than what I remember on the track previous. However, I did improve my driving through the particular corners compared to a few months ago, when I was on all older tires.

Old/original tires are DOT 5016 and the 2019 take-offs are DOT 2518.

Very possible the old tires are just that: older, but since there was mention of a compound change, the sidewall/rim-protector area is physically changed and Goodyear has extended sizing options significantly, with those version having a different tread depth, I thought I'd bring this up to discussion...

Pictures are DOT 5016 (top) and DOT 2518 (bottom). Larger sidewall area can be noticed by the larger "ridge between the tread and ruffled circumferential band
Attached Images

Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:57 PM   #2
Mountain

OK, so I found the post I was thinking about:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
(Don't remember where) I read that Goodyear was making compound changes up to the last minute on the G3's and later on the G3R's. Considering the 2017 ZL1's and SS 1LE's did not start shipping fairly late in 2016, I wonder if they are the "same" as what made production. Personally, I'd rather have a low mile take off set (of known commodity) for around the same price which seems the going rate. While durometer is not a 1-for-1 test of compound, it would be interesting to see that compared across the tread between a 2015 date and current.

and a bit of information:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
I just called Tire Rack and did not purchase these tires. These are older tires and there has been 2 revisions to the tire since these were made. While they are GY F1 SC3 tires, these are like a version 1.0. It is my understanding they are getting new stock on version 3.0 (2 revisions updated).

Mine are not worn out. I have a few other concerns right now (see the thing in the Gulf with the X painted on Lafayette, LA) and I did not pull the trigger.

Things may change and I may find information explaining the differences and I may be high and dry, next week.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...7#post10568287
Old 08-16-2019, 07:11 PM   #3
rck329

Drives: 2016 1SS
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Wonder if they went with a softer compound and a little heavier sidewall?

My older SC3's are wearing incredibly well - quite a few sessions on them and plenty of life left. Maybe they are trying to squeak more grip out of the new revisions?

Been eyeballing the old stock Tire Rack tires - they have front and rears now and they are really cheap. Hard to pass up regardless of any improvements that have been made.
rck329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:11 PM   #4
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I've used the old 2016 & 2017 stock from Tirerack and new Goodyear stock from the Goodyear wearhouse and there is no difference on track.
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:40 AM   #5
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Old tires on the rear with the new tires up front is going to exaggerate any differences, and after 10k street miles plus half a dozen track days I think OP's rear tires would have lost half a step or so from what they once were. Midcorner looseness is probably the best clue here.

Norm
Old 07-06-2020, 09:37 AM   #6
m3bs

Drives: '19 ZLE, S54 E36M3
Just ordered a set of new 3Rs. The pricing on the old stock was tempting, but 2017 date code was older than I was comfortable with since I'm heading to VIR with it next month.
m3bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:57 AM   #7
Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Old tires on the rear with the new tires up front is going to exaggerate any differences, and after 10k street miles plus half a dozen track days I think OP's rear tires would have lost half a step or so from what they once were. Midcorner looseness is probably the best clue here.

Norm
That's probably what it was, really. I've had 512016 builds and the sidewall looks like the 2017+ builds I've seen. So, maybe there was a change with the mold, but the compound should be the same between 2016 build GM tires and 2017, 2018, 2019, etc.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:24 AM   #8
carguy55

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
Just ordered a set of new 3Rs. The pricing on the old stock was tempting, but 2017 date code was older than I was comfortable with since I'm heading to VIR with it next month.
I've been using the G3R and G3 old stock with no issues. Current pricing for a set is about $715 after rebates
Old 07-14-2020, 12:07 AM   #9
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
I've been using the G3R and G3 old stock with no issues. Current pricing for a set is about $715 after rebates
what are your quick thoughts on G3 vs G3R? i was eyeballing the Rs but then saw the closeout on some 2017 G3s so went for those as they won't last me all that long.

thanks!
matt
evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:19 PM   #10
carguy55

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
what are your quick thoughts on G3 vs G3R? i was eyeballing the Rs but then saw the closeout on some 2017 G3s so went for those as they won't last me all that long.

thanks!
matt
So far I've only got 3 track days on the 3R. Wear is great with my 19" 305 square setup due to being able to rotate to any corner. I've seen as much as 4.5 seconds a lap faster on some tracks. Last track I did was about 3 seconds faster. The square setup handles great.