Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-07-2017, 09:54 AM   #1
Johnwon

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS, NPP, A8.
Who mounts your tires?

I am about due for a new set of tires and am planning to order the replacements from Tire Rack since the dealer quoted me $1600+ for tires today. With that being said how do you find someone to install the tires who you trust to not scratch your rims?
Johnwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #2
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Do you really need/want to run the stock tires? Is the run-flat capability that necessary for you?

That's about right for stock tires, but there's better tires, or cheaper tires out there too, without the run-flat capability though.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #3
Lukemo

Drives: '17 1LT RS V6 6M NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnwon View Post
I am about due for a new set of tires and am planning to order the replacements from Tire Rack since the dealer quoted me $1600+ for tires today. With that being said how do you find someone to install the tires who you trust to not scratch your rims?
Tire rack should have a recommended installer / partner near you they will ship the tires too. Look up that shop and read the reviews...?
Lukemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:25 PM   #4
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
someone explain this to me. I've seen this several times shopping for tires at tire rack...same tire, different price. just more $$$ for an OE stamp on the tire?
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2017, 01:28 PM   #5
DenverTaco07

Tire Rack seems to like Firestone and Big O dealers in my neck of the woods.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:03 PM   #6
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
You interview various shops, try them out if they pass your interview, analyze their performance, and use them again if they didn't suck.

No it's not instant, no you can't click it online and be done. Good labor is difficult to find because they don't need to advertise, customers seek them out. Lately I've been having a local aftermarket performance shop do my M&B. They have a Hunter Road Force balancer and they're keen on zeroing out the balance weights. Their availability and pricing is also very competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
someone explain this to me. I've seen this several times shopping for tires at tire rack...same tire, different price. just more $$$ for an OE stamp on the tire?
It's usually not "just" a stamp. It's a construction and performance specification that deviates from the standard tire. The deviations aren't published but can sometimes be inferred by the measurements.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #7
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
You interview various shops, try them out if they pass your interview, analyze their performance, and use them again if they didn't suck.

No it's not instant, no you can't click it online and be done. Good labor is difficult to find because they don't need to advertise, customers seek them out. Lately I've been having a local aftermarket performance shop do my M&B. They have a Hunter Road Force balancer and they're keen on zeroing out the balance weights. Their availability and pricing is also very competitive.

It's usually not "just" a stamp. It's a construction and performance specification that deviates from the standard tire. The deviations aren't published but can sometimes be inferred by the measurements.
what measurements?
Old 11-07-2017, 02:13 PM   #8
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Section width, rolling radius, weight, sidewall compliance, tread compound, belt configuration, etc. All those and more can be nuanced versus the standard specification.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #9
DenverTaco07

sorry, I trust you, but maybe my post wasn't clear...these are the same size and model of tire...and are brought up as solutions to my input of car when searching on their site, being a 2017 SS 1LE
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2017, 02:28 PM   #10
Ryephile
Hot Dog

If you want the TL;DR answer for your question, it's "yes".

Additionally, get the Pilot Sport 4S, they've replaced the Super Sport.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:35 PM   #11
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Longer answer, look at this spec sheet and scroll 2/3rds down.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec....erformance+Pkg

There are three options for the Cup 2 in 305/30-20, Ferrari, Porsche, and Audi. They all have the same measured section width, but they all have different measured tread widths. That means their shoulder profile designs vary between the three, and as such their at-limit feel and breakaway characteristics will be different too. The Porsche spec also weighs in at 1 pound more, which could mean a variety of things like a progressively stiffer sidewall or another belt in the carcass, who knows.

If you're tuning a cars' feel with tires, choosing between different spec tires in the same size is one way to do it. If you don't know what you're doing, definitely step away and stick with what others have blazed the trails with.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #12
DenverTaco07

Hey, thanks for the info.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:34 PM   #13
Johnwon

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS, NPP, A8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
Do you really need/want to run the stock tires? Is the run-flat capability that necessary for you?

That's about right for stock tires, but there's better tires, or cheaper tires out there too, without the run-flat capability though.
I am not sold on staying with the run flats and that's why I was thinking about Tire Rack - I would prefer a different summer tire that is quieter on concrete roads. As others suggested, I'll walk through the process on the site and see who they recommend and then do my homework to check them out. It would me much more convenient if the tires went to them .
Johnwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:38 PM   #14
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnwon View Post
how do you find someone to install the tires who you trust to not scratch your rims?
Difficult question. I think the key is to find a shop where there is not a revolving door policy on employees. You want one where the manager is the same guy 5 days a week, and hopefully the techs too. Make up some story about your friend who had a shop screw up his wheels. Ask the manager about his mounting equipment and balancer. This stuff has to be maintained and calibrated. If the manager can't speak to those procedures you don't want to use that shop. Some shops may even refuse to mount oversize truck tires because it destroys their equipment (too much weight on the balancer). Take that as a GOOD sign. If they take pride in their work they will worry about your wheels.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote