Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-03-2017, 01:22 PM   #71
kingbambino22

Drives: 2023Porsche Cayenne S
No one gave the CCB a go yet? They sure would look nice on a ZL1 1LE. Would lose some weight also.
kingbambino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:08 AM   #72
RacingBrake

Drives: Camaro
Long term track review with RB CCB rotor & sintered pads (The ultimate brake set up with bullet proof performance) from a GT350 driver.

...It's time for an update on the CCB's. After running them for three track days and four months of highway and city service, I wanted to give the folks who wondered about my sanity an update ;-).

It turns out that I'm sane. I have to say that I put these on with some trepidation - the internet knowledge base said they would be fragile, that they couldn't handle track use and they'd be nothing but an expensive headache. My experience is the EXACT OPPOSITE. I love them. I'm never going back to iron rotors. These things are that good...

The sintered pads are a new product and they're "streetable" in the sense that you can run them all the time if you want to, but they're a bit noisy. As for bite, they've got the bite of a tyrannosaur. Mu is around 0.60 and it's immutable. Same brake feel from cold to glowing hot...

...One of the criticisms of CCB's in the past has been poor modulation. My experience with sintered pads and with the RSL-29's is that they're just as easy to modulate as any other brake system. Now, the high-mu sintered pads give you a lot of braking with moderate pedal pressure, but once I got used to the sensitivity, I stopped thinking about it and got on with driving.

If you want to know more about racing with CCB rotors, Google "David Donohue Pikes Peak brakes" and you'll find videos (one is on the DSC Sport Suspension website) showing David Donohue's run up Pikes Peak in this year's hill climb event. He's Mark Donohue's son, by the way. Anyway, the Google search will turn up a review that David wrote and posted on a forum (that's why I didn't provide the link) about CCB brake performance with sintered race pads on the Pike's Peak race car. Apparently, he likes them too...

https://trackmustangsonline.com/thre...-2#post-187860
RacingBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:14 PM   #73
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Can you check your measurements on the ZL1 rear caliper pistons? I just measured a new one and show 28.40 and 23.32 (not 28.32). Think your spreadsheet needs correcting. Unsure if the Gen 5 ZL1 rear calipers have the same piston sizes as the Gen 6 ZL1, but, I believe they do. If so, that'd need correcting, too.

http://www.racingbrake.com/category-s/7373.htm
Attached Images

Last edited by RUQWIKR; 11-07-2017 at 04:51 PM.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #74
SinginHawk

Drives: 2015 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
Can you check your measurements on the ZL1 rear caliper pistons? I just measured a new one and show 28.40 and 23.32 (not 28.32). Think your spreadsheet needs correcting. Unsure if the Gen 5 ZL1 rear calipers have the same piston sizes as the Gen 6 ZL1, but, I believe they do. If so, that'd need correcting, too.

http://www.racingbrake.com/category-s/7373.htm
Gen 5 and Gen 6 ZL1's have different brake calipers and rotors. I don't know about your other inquiries.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:52 PM   #75
RUQWIKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinginHawk View Post
Gen 5 and Gen 6 ZL1's have different brake calipers and rotors. I don't know about your other inquiries.
Correct - I'm just talking about their piston sizes referenced on their website. I just attached a pic of a ZL1 1LE rear caliper piston set - same as regular 17+ ZL1 rear other than caliper color.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:46 AM   #76
RacingBrake

They are 28mm and 32mm in piston diameter. Caliper has differential bores.

This rear caliper is one of 200+ OE calipers in our library. Seals and dust boots are tooled and made with these size accordingly.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #77
RUQWIKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingBrake View Post
They are 28mm and 32mm in piston diameter. Caliper has differential bores.

This rear caliper is one of 200+ OE calipers in our library. Seals and dust boots are tooled and made with these size accordingly.
Ok - still confused, which is not hard to do. I have a set of new 2018 ZL1 1LE calipers, fronts and rears. The fronts measure right at what you have. The rears do not. In my attached pic above of a rear, the larger one is the 28.40 diameter. You can see the noticeably smaller other piston. I'll remeasure later tonight.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:46 PM   #78
RacingBrake

ZL1 G6 Rear brake (caliper, pad, and rotor) remains the same as G5, which is also same as Cadillac CTS-V, with 28 and 32mm caliper piston diameter.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:58 AM   #79
RacingBrake

We kept track the brake changes on GM (Corvette, Camaro, CTS-V) in different generations, we know OE brake well and we make our replacement better than OE.

Our offer for Camaro brake is complete and thorough (including brake bias analysis), all published data on our web s/b accountable.

We make CCB upgrade for G6 ZL1 affordable. The kit is centered around Z28 with required modification.

So if you love your ZL1 how it performs on tracks you may consider the brake upgrade to increase its value and ultimate performance.

http://www.racingbrake.com/Camaro-Z-...rccb-gm-02.htm

PM us for the promotional prices, and if you have ZL1 6 pot Brembo calipers you can further deduct them from the kit price.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #80
RacingBrake

In response to PM and inquiries on this Z28 CCM brake kit for G6 Camaro (SS & ZL1).
http://www.racingbrake.com/Camaro-Z-...rccb-gm-02.htm

1. If you have ZL1 you can deduct the calipers from the kit, but the rear Z28 calipers will be silver vs. ZL1 red in front.

2. The front CCM rotors come with the kit are fitted with RB rotor hats so they are 100% compatible with G6 spindle hub for a bolt-on installation.

3. Since there is no change in rear spindle between G5 (Z28) & G6 so the rear rotors are a bolt-on installation, however the calipers are not compatible due to different rotor size (390mm Z28 vs. 365mm of ZL1) and you can opt to upgrade the rotor hats to RB's light weight composite hat (aluminum shell with iron sleeve) vs. OE's stainless steel hat for further weight saving.

This iron to CCB conversion kit is engineered, tested, and approved by RB for the best value in your G6 brake upgrade whether you are looking for street driving or track/racing application.

We are good at CCB brake system development and conversion (between iron and CCB) and we look forward to serving your Camaro's braking need.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:58 AM   #81
RacingBrake

World's first RB CCM rotor kit built with continuous fiber replacing Russ' (NASA National Competition Racing) Z28 OE rotors:

Old 07-26-2018, 02:14 PM   #82
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
how much weight does this save over the current Zl1 setup?

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:58 PM   #83
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
I’ve always wondered why carbon ceramic brakes are so expensive. This seems like a good place to ask.

Is it because the carbon ceramic material needed to make 4 rotors is that expensive ?
Is it the manufacturing process that makes it so pricey?
Or is it a few companies that have the market cornered?

My 1LE would look and perform that much better with these on. But that is just too much damn money.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:35 PM   #84
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
https://youtu.be/3D9ayaGQiV4

Looks easier than working with steel..

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote