Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-06-2022, 09:19 AM   #29
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Actually had eyes on a '19 ZLE A10 in Riverside Blue. I never did get to test drive one to see how much different the DSSV suspension is, but given my deteriorating lower back issues, I didn't want to risk exacerbating it. I also wanted a sunroof. I 'may' track it at some point but not enough to commit to that degree.

I'll do wider wheels & tires (I HATE the OEM ZL1 wheels), and maybe some ZLE aero bits later on. Maybe.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:46 AM   #30
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbs09 View Post
I recently moved over to a 18 zle (I know I know my oil pumps going to fail) from a 22 M3 competition. I absolutely love the car, and have also had a 16 C7z. This car is amazing from a dual purpose perspective, I am really impressed. I agree that for the money, you would have to step up into the 150-175k range to get something comparable performance wise.

My only gripe is the dash. I may see if I can have it covered in leather. The interior is pretty nice but the dash looks so cheap.
I've been toying with the same idea. Wifey's Traverse has nice soft touch leather on the dash with foam padding, it should not be impossible to achieve something similar here. As you say, however, these minor gripes are dwarfed by the amazing qualities of the car.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 08:39 AM   #31
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Yesterday I adjusted the rear sway bar to the stiffest setting and rotated the front camber plates to the track setting. WHOA boy! Those changes are easily worth 2-3 seconds a lap now. Unbelievable!

It is a Must Do if you're tracking this car.
NG329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 10:31 AM   #32
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Which way is stiffening on the bar? I know one way is understeer and the other oversteer. Have always kept it neutral in the middle hole but now I have the SPL end links so more adjustability.
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 11:35 AM   #33
NG329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansa22 View Post
Which way is stiffening on the bar? I know one way is understeer and the other oversteer. Have always kept it neutral in the middle hole but now I have the SPL end links so more adjustability.
Closer to the bar bend is stiffer (oversteer) by I think 15%. Further away in the 3rd position is softest.
Old 04-09-2022, 02:04 PM   #34
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Right on, thanks for the info
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 02:19 PM   #35
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post
Yesterday I adjusted the rear sway bar to the stiffest setting and rotated the front camber plates to the track setting. WHOA boy! Those changes are easily worth 2-3 seconds a lap now. Unbelievable!

It is a Must Do if you're tracking this car.
Was that the first time you were in track camber position?
Old 04-09-2022, 07:13 PM   #36
Maro_89

Drives: High HP V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDemon View Post
Well this is great to read. I’ve been eyeing a Z06 as well but between the heat soak issues and expense I’ve leaned towards the ZL1. I noticed your signature but I still have to ask…. Both were manuals? Did you miss 7th gear?

I understand on the track you prefer the ZL1 but what about on the street? Is there anything you preferred on the C7 over the ZL1?

The 2017 or newer model C7 Z06s would be the way to go as they remedied the cooling issue in the 2017s and up but it still may be possible the car has it’s cooling issues regardless. On the street there fine, it’s when there pushed hard on the road course they run into issues like heat soak. The M7 transmission seems to not have the cooling issues as opposed to the A8.

I'd like to get into a C7 Z06 one day but few of its flaws such as cooling issues, rear end feeling twitchy/ unpredictably when pushing hard in the corners, OEM wheels cracking and or bending, their A8 transmission shudders as well as not being that responsive, has made me a little hesitant.

Where the Z06 seems to fall short with the flaws I mentioned, the ZL1 seems to have none of those issues. This is definitely not to deter you away from the Z06 as I'm sure those flaws can be remedied with some sort of aftermarket support.

I admire those beautiful Z06s and still may look into one but at the same time the ZL1s are great too and maybe less issues to deal with, so something to consider. I'm a performance guy at heart and usually always like to upgrade to the faster car which is going to be the Z06 even though the ZL1 maybe the better engineered car.
Maro_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:19 PM   #37
Maro_89

Drives: High HP V8
Quote:
Before I get flamed I know that most of us here are already aware of how great a car this is. I consider myself fortunate to have bought one just before the price gouging began a few weeks ago.

I've had the opportunity to log about 6,000+ miles on it. I've done 1/4 mile; 50mph rolls, a few burnouts, and two hard track days, along with some highway pulls.

For the money, I've concluded that anything short of a loaded $175k+ GT3 is just not worthwhile. This car checks off all the boxes.

At NJMP Thunderbolt two Saturdays ago, my first track day in the car, I logged a respectable 1:38 lap. That's moving, although not elite you're in the top 10% of a track day if you're in the 30s there. Then this past Friday I managed to clock a 1:16 at NJMP Lightning.... and that's moving pretty good...... with the instructor in the car. The car is mechanically stock. The only mods being a GM Flex Fuel sensor, HP Tuners MPVI2+ with a Jannetty remote tune. For tires I run the Michelin PS42 at 40psi cold on the street and 28psi cold on the track. At the end of each session my hot pressure is roughly 35psi all around. One session I came in the right front was 37psi. It never happened again after that though.

I don't consider myself a great driver, but the fact that I can manage those times (granted, I have a motorcycle background and am very familiar with those tracks) in only my second track day I think underscores how capable this car is. The powerband is linear and even though you can get yourself hurt in this thing, you are given warning as you approach the limits. My lap times actually got faster as I turned DOWN the driver electronic aides. 'Sport 2' seems to be the sweet spot while in Competition mode. At some point I'll play with 'RACE' mode.

With all that said, I wanted to briefly point out my "Novice" opinions on the car.

Chassis: 9 out of 10
- I have to ding it for weight.
- My instructor felt some rear instability when I let him drive it. Although I ran two seconds quicker than he did in my car, I could not feel it. Likely due to my inexperience. I'll need to play with the rear stabilizer bar adjustments for my next outing to see if I can get it to square off the corners better.
- I only felt a tiny hint of body roll when I started to pick up the pace. This thing is sorted!

Engine: 10 out of 10
- No additional power needed on the track. Maybe a tad more midrange would have helped me make up time on the straights if I got a corner exit wrong but ultimately that's on me and not the car's fault.

Components: 10 out of 10
- For the track, the Spool Valve Suspension and the Forged Wheels are top notch. No need to upgrade. I just wish slicks came in the OEM 305/30/19 fronts.

Tires: 9 out of 10
- I ran Michelin PS4S. In 50 degree temps these things worked fantastic. I had no issues with traction and I ran respectable laps without them even howling. I always tell my buddies that no tire will tolerate bad lines. If you're running on the correct racing line these tires will do whatever you ask of them. I wouldn't run them in the Summertime tho. They are wearing even and quite nicely.
- I'll have to test the SuperCar 3Rs later on this summer but I imagine they will be 2 seconds a lap faster.

Aero: 10 out of 10
- It flat out works! Period!

I have to mention that I had zero heat soak issues. I ran nearly a 30 minute session non stop and blew thru half a tank of gas and the temps were fantastic. E40/E50 runs cooler and I also added "Keyser's Pro-Blend High Performance Engine Racing Concentrate" into the oil. The oil temps were low the entire time. By contrast, a friend that I met at the track ran nearly identical times as me, possibly 1 sec/lap faster and he kept going into limp mode in his C7 Z06 (Same tires too) due to heat soak. *****I've had the chance to see both cars in action and HANDS DOWN (and in my humble opinion of course hahaha) the ZL1 1LE is the all around better track car than the C7 Z06 due to the heat soak issues. I also observed a C8 there and he couldn't keep up with the guy in the C7 Z06.... I noticed he had his engine bay open between sessions to cool off the motor. Maybe it was nothing but as a guy who contemplates a C8 down the road it made me wonder.

Fuel Economy: 1 out of 10
- I literally went thru half a tank of gas in 1 session. Not cool! hahaha

Presence: 10 out of 10
- This car gets so much damn respect it's ridiculous. I had no issues getting wave by's all day. And all of the teenage Jail bait hit on me at the McDonald's Drive Thru. hahahaha

Anyhow I will post links to the footage. It is as follows:

Here's my first session after lunch with the instructor where I started to drop time. Prior to this session I was running 1:22 laps:
https://youtu.be/nfPPLIGVtHg

This is my fastest lap of the day and it happened during my second session after lunch with the instructor:
https://youtu.be/ShZgd8sK-ZM

Lastly, this is my last session of the day. It was damn near an open track maybe a handful of guys out there. 25 minute session and I logged 22 laps before the fuel light came on.
https://youtu.be/1D47oiNHZMI

I did have a question for you guys who are tracking the car. Can I expect a noticeable difference after going to the stiff setting on the adjustable rear sway bar? Would you recommend the BMR stuff? I'm honestly quite happy with my current pace tho so maybe it won't be necessary. Either way I'd love to get your opinions. Lastly, is there a way to disable the ABS? It kicked in when I tried to brake really deep into the corners.

Thanks in advance and I hope you guys like the footage.

Very nice OP. What year and what kind of transmission does your buddy's Z06 have?
Maro_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 10:57 PM   #38
NG329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maro_89 View Post
Very nice OP. What year and what kind of transmission does your buddy's Z06 have?
It's a C7 - not sure of the year. It was automatic.
Old 04-09-2022, 10:58 PM   #39
NG329

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Was that the first time you were in track camber position?
Yes. My track days were done in the stock camber settings and the rear sway bar was in the middle position.
Old 04-09-2022, 11:24 PM   #40
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Yes. My track days were done in the stock camber settings and the rear sway bar was in the middle position.
Quite sure that Camber was the time saver for you. Also a tire saver too.
Old 04-10-2022, 02:19 AM   #41
synolimit

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Hope you got it aligned after.
synolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 01:09 PM   #42
NG329

Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
Hope you got it aligned after.
Yes I got an alignment yesterday. The rear camber wasn't perfect after dialing in the toe angle but everything is within range.

I really can't wait to get back to the track.