Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-05-2017, 11:11 AM   #1
1LECameron

Drives: Red Hot 2SS 1LE
Dyno tune or CAI w/ SCT tuner

Which one will provide more power considering they are about the same price, Dyno tune or SCT tuner w/ CAI. Stock 2015 LS3 engine.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:17 AM   #2
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Get headers and an exhaust then dyno tune
Old 01-05-2017, 11:31 AM   #3
1LECameron

Drives: Red Hot 2SS 1LE
I know the other mods I can do but I'm just wondering what offers more power of the 2 options.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:46 AM   #4
xXSicSicSicXx

Drives: 14 1LE
wouldn't waste the money on a "cai" again
xXSicSicSicXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:23 PM   #5
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
A SCT tuner or any other canned tune would be fine on a other wise stock engine. A dyno tune won't pick up much more power than a basic SCT tune. We only recommend a dyno tune if you changed something more significant like adding headers or a cam.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #6
G701LE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IBM silver stipes
Get an SCT first. Then after ALL the mods get done. Get a dyno tune

Mods = Not enough....
G701LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:09 PM   #7
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Way too broad of a question. A dyno tune can be complete crap and lose power, or amazing. So comparing off the shelf SCT to a dyno tune is a pointless question. A dyno doesn't tune your car, a person does. You need to talk about a specific tuner, which odds are no one on here can comment on unless it a big name person. There are 5 local tuners here, 3 are complete idiots that I wouldn't let tune my lawnmower. 2 are good.

An in person tune from someone that knows what they are doing is almost always better than a canned SCT tune. I would never waste money on a SCT. Get HP tuners and do a mail order tune that way if you want to do something like that.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #8
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
We have seen consistent gains of 15-18 hp with the Roto-fab CAI, stock tune. If you have any more CAI related questions, I would be glad to help!

Michael
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:48 AM   #9
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
dont bother tuning a LS3 until you get long tube headers or change out your cats. there is almost nothing to gain. Get a CAI if you want but that will not require a tune.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:59 AM   #10
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
At this stage, I would have to look at it as a "risk vs. reward" situation. With any mods you might do down the road to increase air flow, heads, cam, even a good header, you'll wind up needing to get a better flowing intake. So, that mod is inevitable.

A tune, on a stock engine, will probably find some of those extra ponies that GM left on the table for reliability and efficiency sake. However, once you hack the ECM you can kiss your powertrain warranty goodbye. For me, it just wouldn't be worth it to waste that warranty unless I was going to get something very substantial out of the deal. Also, keep in mind that if you tune now, you'll still have to tune again when you do get around to adding those headers or that cam, or whatever you need to feed that mod bug once it bites.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #11
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
I got my car tuned when i put a New Era OTR intake on it. I gained 4hp and 9ftlbs because of the tune. Not worth tuning it. The reason I got it tuned was because with the OTR i had drivability problems.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:27 AM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LECameron View Post
Which one will provide more power considering they are about the same price, Dyno tune or SCT tuner w/ CAI. Stock 2015 LS3 engine.
Hello Cameron,

I offer Remote custom tuning via the SCT Hand held tuner.

I have a buy parts from me get custom tunes for Free program.

Dollar for Dollar you can not beat this program or the results.

This allows you to purchase one part a a time and get tuning for that part FREE building your car as you can afford it.

Almost every part you add will need custom tuning to make it work properly.

I have tuned over 5000 Cars with SCT device and software to perfection.

The parts make the power the tuning makes the parts work correctly.

I have tested and tuned nearly every part combination one can dream up and the results are a product of my experience and not the software.

I am happy to guide you on your quest for power and performance by sharing the best parts to fit your needs.

Feel free to gives us a call 203-753-7223
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 12:09 PM   #13
PoppaHoss

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 6 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Hello Cameron,

I offer Remote custom tuning via the SCT Hand held tuner.

I have a buy parts from me get custom tunes for Free program.

Dollar for Dollar you can not beat this program or the results.

This allows you to purchase one part a a time and get tuning for that part FREE building your car as you can afford it.

Almost every part you add will need custom tuning to make it work properly.

I have tuned over 5000 Cars with SCT device and software to perfection.

The parts make the power the tuning makes the parts work correctly.

I have tested and tuned nearly every part combination one can dream up and the results are a product of my experience and not the software.

I am happy to guide you on your quest for power and performance by sharing the best parts to fit your needs.

Feel free to gives us a call 203-753-7223
Email Sent for more info, thank you.
Matt
2002 Honda BlackBird
PoppaHoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cai, horse power, tune, tuning advice