Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 03-25-2021, 09:48 AM   #1
Nick.CK

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS 1LE (Summit White)
Aftermarket Intake On A Car That Already Has GM CAI & Tune?

I searched far and wide for an answer but I don't believe this question has been asked yet. Any help is super appreciated.

My 2021 SS 1LE is currently on order but I still can make changes. I opted for the GM Performance CAI because why not, better intake sound, better throttle response, and maybe a 5-10hp gain if anything. Also the tune will be taken care of before the car is even in my hands so less work for me.

My question is, since the GM intake comes with a tune (apparently to calibrate MAF for the wider intake tube diameter), will I be able to install an aftermarket intake down the road without having to remove this tune? If I wanted to swap for a Rotofab since they apparently provide the biggest gains, would I have to remove the tune for the GM CAI, or is the tune be beneficial for all intakes since it's adjusted for more airflow? Should I just say screw it and not get the GM performance CAI at all?

** If it matters I will not be getting an aftermarket tune so I can keep my warranty. I can swap the stock intake back on if necessary but I am not doing aftermarket tunes, if that makes a difference. **

Nick.CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:29 PM   #2
STReddy1999

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I would assume the calibration would be beneficial for all intake systems with increased airflow.
2014 Camaro RS - Sold
STReddy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:04 PM   #3
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
The adjustment for the GM CAI is minimal, no need to do anything different for a rotofab.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:07 AM   #4
appleman22

Drives: 2017 1ss 1le
cancel the factory cai. The intake makes literally no power over stock, in some cases less then the stock airbox. It's a waste of time.
appleman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:20 AM   #5
Nick.CK

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS 1LE (Summit White)
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleman22 View Post
cancel the factory cai. The intake makes literally no power over stock, in some cases less then the stock airbox. It's a waste of time.
I've heard a few cases of it making less power but only 1 or 2 of them was valid. 90% of people say it just doesn't affect power output.
Nick.CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:38 AM   #6
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
I'd cancel the factory CAI and throw on a Rotofab right from the start. The RF doesn't require a tune and probably makes a little more power. It's a <5 minute job to swap the oem unit back on for visits to the dealer
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cai, cold air inductions, intake, rotofab, tune