Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-13-2020, 03:26 PM   #15
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
Here in PA my first dyno tune was after LT Headers and cost $500. the tuner did about 5 pulls. The second dyno tune was after the S/C and cost $200.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:17 PM   #16
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Att3mpt View Post
Thank you for your reply, now I know what is possible.
The cost of the initial tune also has 2 dyno runs included. so the $1100 price maybe because of the 2 initial dyno runs?
My first tune which was for a bolt on car (long tube headers with high flow cats, cold air intake, ported throttle body, catback exhaust, upgraded spark plugs) was a little over $500. It was a dyno and street tune where there were 4 or 5 dyno pulls to dial the car in correctly. My tune was done by a very reputable tuner and not just some random guy either. I don't know what shop you're going to, but it really sounds like they just don't want to tune your car or are really ripping people off.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:09 PM   #17
SL33P3R

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Att3mpt View Post
Thank you for your reply, now I know what is possible.
The cost of the initial tune also has 2 dyno runs included. so the $1100 price maybe because of the 2 initial dyno runs?
The first run should be a baseline pull and the second will be to dial things in so you can see the increase. That should be standard with most tuners as they want to see where they are starting from. $1,100 is ridiculously high. And with the mods you listed a remote tune is plenty. Yea you might leave 4-5 HP on the table but if you are only doing a few bolt-ons I assume you're not worried about those few ponies.
SL33P3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:37 AM   #18
Camarokid1996
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2ss/rs TF edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Yes an initial tune costs more because you have to unlock your ECU in their system, but HELL NO $1,100 is not normal. I know things in California are inflated but that's insanity.

As for Camarokid1996's comment, a tune is absolutely worth it even without headers and since you're in California I doubt you'll be able to get headers. For a L99 car a properly tuned car is a night and day different animal compared to a stock car because of how they tune the transmission. In stock form the automatic trans is a bit lazy IMO. With a quality tune the car will wake up and you'll think you picked up 50+rwhp. You can even have your tuner tune a "wife mode" in like I had mine do. What that means is that when in "D" mode it shifts smoother like factory, better shift points and a little firmer, but still smooth. However, in "M" mode it has hard neck snapping shifts that really turn the car into a bit of an animal.

Good luck and stay away from that first tuner. That may be their "I don't actually want to tune your car but if you'll pay me a crazy price I'll do it" price.

From a dyno perspective, it is definitely not worth it for those mods. You'd have to retune for a fee with every mod if he continues his build. And since he doesn't seem to have headers, that's just a waste of time and money. Completely forgot about handheld tuners, but I'd say that route would be worth it for now.
Camarokid1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:09 AM   #19
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarokid1996 View Post
From a dyno perspective, it is definitely not worth it for those mods. You'd have to retune for a fee with every mod if he continues his build. And since he doesn't seem to have headers, that's just a waste of time and money. Completely forgot about handheld tuners, but I'd say that route would be worth it for now.
Sure it is worth it. I'm not sure if you have a manual or an automatic car, but automatics from the factory are lazy and sluggish. You click a paddle and begin your countdown before the shift happens. When you're in "D" mode and stand on the gas the car rolls off of the line instead of hammers off the line. The OP lives in CA where long tube headers are illegal to install so he might not be ever installing headers and if he installs shorty headers it's not that big of a deal. Besides, some tuners offer re-tunes for free. If the OP further mods he might not be out extra money for a retune depending on if he goes with anybody other than the initially quoted shop or not.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:22 AM   #20
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
For a bolt on only car, RDP is hard to beat. His tune is good and you get free tunes from there for future bolt ons. So you will have about $400 upfront. Know that if you decide to move past basic bolt ons, you will have to go another route for remote tuning. Ted J is a good one. I'm currently being remote tuner by Ryan@GPI and he is doing an awesome job. I couldnt be happier
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cost, dyno cost, question, tune, tuning