Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-04-2020, 11:03 AM   #29
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Agreed! There is nothing that comes close to the Camaro at that price.
There are certainly none that I can think off of the top of my head, especially at the price point. There are some that come close but not beat it... The Nissan 370z is the first that comes to mind. I've driven both and I would say that outperforms the Mustang Eco boost (though I believe it is slightly slower on paper).
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:09 AM   #30
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAI80 View Post
Good points. I had a ‘95 V6 for over 10 years. Drove it all year through Midwestern winters on all season tires. I’m doing the same thing with the 2016 version while filling it up on 87 octane. I don’t worry about what winter rock salt does to it anymore than if I drove a Camry. An SS that I turn into a hangar queen all winter wouldn’t be out of the question eventually. By then though I doubt the option to buy one will exist anymore. The shifting political winds sure won’t help.
I get ya.

My wife had an 86 V6. Not a bad car at the time as it was only 6yrs old.

I have other stuff to drive in the winter so there is no need to expose my Z to that environment, nor did I my SS. It paid off in terms of what I got for it.

I could hop in it today & take it for a spin, but it already has storage insurance on it until mid April which saves me quite a bit of money, enough for me to buy a few mods for it, so I will let it sit.

When I do take it back out.... Ever heard Eddy Murphy’s Stand-up? “That’s the best damn Cracker I ever had!”

It’s like that.

As to why I didn’t buy a vette: I’ve never really liked corvettes on the inside. The new ones look GORGEOUS, but I felt claustrophobic.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:34 AM   #31
IAI80

Drives: 2016 1LT V6 A8
Oh yeah I remember those Eddie Murphy lines! Eddie probably knows exactly what you are talking about too:

https://twitter.com/veryrarecars/sta...11773334118404
IAI80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:45 AM   #32
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
If you were sitting behind the V8, or the SC V8, perhaps you would have a different opinion. I don't agree with the V8 being "astronomically expensive" if the smaller motors didn't exist. We are still talking a Chevy Camaro here, there are other perimeters to stay within. If the price was much larger, the car would no longer be competitive (or considered) in it's own segment.

I understand that the smaller motors have their place, but I'm saying there should be a much more obvious (cosmetic) difference between the motor levels. I'm not degrading the motors, the cars, or the people that purchase them. I'm more than happy that all of us enjoy our cars, and that we are able to enjoy this forum. People purchase Mustangs/Camaros/Challenger/Chargers because they like the image and atmosphere that the original MUSCLE cars had created, which included BIG MOTORS.
Remember that non-V8 Camaro accounts for 60% of the total sales, so the sales would have been less than half of the way it is now without the non-V8 models. Without the economy of scales, it would make the car either expensive or GM may just discontinue it. It just doesn't make sense for GM to sell Corvettes and only V8 Camaros.

And there are cosmetic differences between LS/LT, SS and ZL1. If you can't tell them apart, that's your issue, especially if we are talking about post-facelift. The front fascia and badging should tell them apart pretty quickly.

I think a lot of the big stigma with V6 comes from the past when the V6 was legitimately pretty slow and was pretty much engineered by taking a V8 and chopping off 2 cylinders, but nowadays, the V6 Camaro can keep up with the Catfish Camaro SS and the V6 is completely different from the V8(DOHC vs. OHV) and so it's not really fair to use the same view as before.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:49 AM   #33
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkyleman View Post
I bought a used gen6 SS for the price of a new gen6 I4 at the dealer with 30Kish miles. I think I'll sleep fine tonight with the price per performance I have.

I just don't think it is practical to spend 25k-ish for just under 300 HP. That just isn't a fun sports car to me knowing Honda Civics can put up a good fight.
Not sure if you've managed to pick up on this during your time on this planet but, NOT EVERYONE LIKES THE SAME SHIT.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:53 AM   #34
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAI80 View Post
If the presence of fewer cylinder versions of your car is such a put off, why didn’t you buy a Corvette?
Because my 1SS was priced at $35k new before the $2k Mustang rebate I qualified for. I’d rather have a $33k new 1SS than a used Vette.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:55 AM   #35
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i have a buddy whos 5 feet tall,about 125 pounds.he tells all the women that look at his car"i have a V8".im 6 ft 2,220 and i just smile at him and say" i am the V8".the 6 cylinder is more than capable of getting me where i want to go.in most cases i dont have a problem keeping up with his SS either.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:15 PM   #36
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
I can only speak for myself, but here was my criteria for buying a new car a little over a year ago:

1) Must be a sports/performance car. RWD is #1 preference but could settle for AWD.

2) Must be new w/ full warranty. The car is going to be my daily, and I'm not dealing with the 'unknown' factor on used cars. I also want modern technology (i.e. Android Auto).

3) Must be priced below 30K

4) Must have great performance per dollar. Not just straight line performance, but something that's actually enjoyable on back roads and good at autocross (i.e. something that can handle the curves).

Guess what cars fit all that? I4/V6 pony cars, and WRX. Maybe a base model 370Z but frankly that's too impractical and the interior is hot garbage.

I'm not caught up in whether the I4/V6 is a true 'muscle car.' I don't care. I ask whether it's a true sports/performance car, and it absolutely is. Like the V8 versions, the I4/V6 cars punch way above their weight when it comes to price per performance. They are putting out numbers near equivalent to cars costing 10K more. For whatever reason, people don't want to acknowledge this simply because the car has a I4/V6 engine. They are too preoccupied with the engine. It's a unique problem to the pony cars.

Nobody goes to a WRX owner and says why didn't you get the STi?
Nobody goes to a Civic Si owner and says why didn't you get the Civic Type R?
Nobody goes to a Golf GTI owner and says why didn't you get the Golf Type R?
Nobody went to a Focus ST owner and said why didn't you get the Focus RS?

Those car communities don't have issues with the 'lesser' versions of their cars. Yes, their 'lesser' versions may all share an I4 engine as well, but so what? The pony cars have been built with non-V8 engines since the beginning. That ship has sailed. If you're going to argue that pony cars should only have V8s then you missed your opportunity in the 1960s.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:30 PM   #37
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
Without the sound of the V8 I would not be happy.
I agree!
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:45 PM   #38
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
Not sure if you've managed to pick up on this during your time on this planet but, NOT EVERYONE LIKES THE SAME SHIT.
, plus you might want to add AND THAT IS A GOOD THING.

No matter how unfruitful they invariably are, I enjoy even these V8 vs V6/I4, auto vs manual, 1LE vs non-1LE, ZL1 vs the rest etc. threads, I like hearing other viewpoints and learning from people. I've abandoned the "maximum efficiency, everyone must do the same and feel the same so we can optimize everything, dissenters be damned" mindset of my foolish youth.

On topic, I had a V6 2LT and it was a great car, nothing wrong with it, someone must now be happily enjoying the ride for a much lower price than what I originally paid. To me the V8 experience turned out absolutely unique (this is my first ever car with a V8), the power and the sound are intoxicating, there is something subliminally awesome about the noise eight cylinders make. Yet, I also understand how not-quite-as-nimble these heavier SS and ZL1 beasts are and how that matters more to some folks.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:50 PM   #39
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
I can only speak for myself, but here was my criteria for buying a new car a little over a year ago:

1) Must be a sports/performance car. RWD is #1 preference but could settle for AWD.

2) Must be new w/ full warranty. The car is going to be my daily, and I'm not dealing with the 'unknown' factor on used cars. I also want modern technology (i.e. Android Auto).

3) Must be priced below 30K

4) Must have great performance per dollar. Not just straight line performance, but something that's actually enjoyable on back roads and good at autocross (i.e. something that can handle the curves).

Guess what cars fit all that? I4/V6 pony cars, and WRX. Maybe a base model 370Z but frankly that's too impractical and the interior is hot garbage.

I'm not caught up in whether the I4/V6 is a true 'muscle car.' I don't care. I ask whether it's a true sports/performance car, and it absolutely is. Like the V8 versions, the I4/V6 cars punch way above their weight when it comes to price per performance. They are putting out numbers near equivalent to cars costing 10K more. For whatever reason, people don't want to acknowledge this simply because the car has a I4/V6 engine. They are too preoccupied with the engine. It's a unique problem to the pony cars.

Nobody goes to a WRX owner and says why didn't you get the STi?
Nobody goes to a Civic Si owner and says why didn't you get the Civic Type R?
Nobody goes to a Golf GTI owner and says why didn't you get the Golf Type R?
Nobody went to a Focus ST owner and said why didn't you get the Focus RS?

Those car communities don't have issues with the 'lesser' versions of their cars. Yes, their 'lesser' versions may all share an I4 engine as well, but so what? The pony cars have been built with non-V8 engines since the beginning. That ship has sailed. If you're going to argue that pony cars should only have V8s then you missed your opportunity in the 1960s.

If you took money (purchase price) totally out of the equation, how many people would choose the 4 or 6 cylinder model over the V8?

Say you're looking at a brand new Camaro and can buy either the smaller motor or an SS (or higher) for the exact same price. Disregard the expense difference for wider tires, higher fuel consumption, insurance differences, etc. I understand there are other reasons people prefer/choose the smaller motors, but I feel the good majority boils down to the dollar. If that is the case, many of the points that are brought up for the 4/6 cylinder vs 8 are irrelevant.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:59 PM   #40
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
If you took money (purchase price) totally out of the equation, how many people would choose the 4 or 6 cylinder model over the V8?

Say you're looking at a brand new Camaro and can buy either the smaller motor or an SS (or higher) for the exact same price. Disregard the expense difference for wider tires, higher fuel consumption, insurance differences, etc. I understand there are other reasons people prefer/choose the smaller motors, but I feel the good majority boils down to the dollar. If that is the case, many of the points that are brought up for the 4/6 cylinder vs 8 are irrelevant.
But if money is no object, I think a lot of people here would flock to Porsche or Corvette. I know I would.

Money is literally one of the most important factors when purchasing a car. If we are all dream shopping then we would all be buying Koenigsegg.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:07 PM   #41
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Quote:

Yeah it absolutely boils down to the dollar for me and most people. That's why I was talking about price per performance for the I4/V6. You just can't beat it in the 20K to 30K range.

It's the same for the V8 cars. You can't beat their performance in the 35K to 50K range.

If price wasn't a concern then I wouldn't even be shopping Camaros. I'd be looking at a BMW M car, Audi RS car, or Cadillac V car (whenever Blackwing comes out).

I'm not married to a particular manufacturer or model.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:12 PM   #42
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
But if money is no object, I think a lot of people here would flock to Porsche or Corvette. I know I would.

Money is literally one of the most important factors when purchasing a car. If we are all dream shopping then we would all be buying Koenigsegg.
Corvette . That wouldn't be in my vocabulary if money were no object.

True, true. Now, Koenigsegg... I think you're onto something!