Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-02-2020, 10:36 PM   #15
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum922 View Post
Exactly, my dealer said putting a catch can would void my warranty and I have a lifetime engine warranty. Dont want to void that.
Yep, I’m with you. I was told the same thing by more than one dealer in my area.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:52 PM   #16
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEGA2SS View Post
So since I have a vented oil cap (by Earls) do u think that piece can be deleted ? The valve covers will still be getting their fresh air and dirty oil won’t be drained back
I looked at the Earl's vented oil cap. It might be helpful for a forced induction engine like the LT4 but I doubt that it is doing anything for your naturally aspirated LT1. It might even cause problems if the vent allows the engine to draw fresh air into the valve covers.

The picture below shows air flow through the PCV system. The green arrows show clean air entering the engine. The red arrows show dirty air exiting the engine and being drawn into the intake manifold.

Fresh air is drawn from behind the MAF (lower hoses with green arrows) and is included in the ECM's calculations for airflow. Air is drawn through the OEM air/oil separator to the valve covers (upper hose with green arrow). This is the "clean side" and it will capture very little oil. It isn't going to be a problem letting it drain back into the engine.

Dirty air is drawn out of the engine by the PCV valve on the block. It is the lower hose with the red arrow. On my car this hose is routed to the inlet of the catch can. The outlet from the catch can is then routed back to the intake manifold through the upper hose with the red arrow.

The Earl's web site doesn't provide much detail about how their vented oil cap works. If it allows the engine to draw fresh air into the valve cover then the extra air could make your engine run lean. If it doesn't allow the engine to draw fresh air and it only vents out under pressure then maybe it won't hurt anything to keep it.
Attached Images

Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:36 AM   #17
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
Yep, I’m with you. I was told the same thing by more than one dealer in my area.
Not sure why that would void a warranty? Seems if a gnat farts the warranty is no good these days.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:44 AM   #18
robertd33

Drives: 2018 2ss redline
Quote:
Thx for replies btw
I was asking what that part is because I would like to know what it does and if it can be removed?
why do you want to remove it if you don't know what it is?
robertd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:47 PM   #19
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Quote:
Thx Geoff

Makes sense

So since I have a vented oil cap (by Earls) do u think that piece can be deleted ? The valve covers will still be getting their fresh air and dirty oil won’t be drained back
I'm with Mark114,
"If it allows the engine to draw fresh air into the valve cover then the extra air could make your engine run lean. If it doesn't allow the engine to draw fresh air and it only vents out under pressure then maybe it won't hurt anything to keep it."
Old 12-03-2020, 02:15 PM   #20
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLT1 View Post
Not sure why that would void a warranty? Seems if a gnat farts the warranty is no good these days.
Agreed that it seems petty. Some catch cans include a check valve. If the can or check valve is incorrectly installed backwards then it could disable the PCV functionality. That could cause the engine to pressurize and eventually blow out one of the engine seals. Or, as mentioned before, a person forgets to empty the can and eventually causes the intake to draw fluid instead of air from the can. Honest mistakes that could lead to problems. Some dealers just don’t want to deal with it.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:11 PM   #21
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
I attached a photo of the “box” on the left side of engine towards front

I got a catch can thinking that took care of the Pcv relating to the cleanliness of the air entering engine but there seems to
Be a second Pcv system ?

Thanks

2018 2SS

Attachment 1051845
Factory Catch Can.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:02 PM   #22
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
Same reason I won't install one. Im covered for 4 more years.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:56 AM   #23
K6.2B

Drives: 16’ Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
it is a factory catch AND DRAIN can. it works poorly, letting a lot of oil by and it drains what little it catches right back to the oil pan. its worthless.

be careful with those fittings. i had to replace that thing on my car, it was a huge pita to change a plastic part that really doesn't do anything.
Would you mind explaining or PMing how you did this? I broke a stem as well and have the part ready for install but no knowledge on doing it, mind giving some input? Thanks in advance
K6.2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:34 AM   #24
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by K6.2B View Post
Would you mind explaining or PMing how you did this? I broke a stem as well and have the part ready for install but no knowledge on doing it, mind giving some input? Thanks in advance
biggest thing is, you must remove the water pump. not difficult, but time consuming.