Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-29-2016, 11:17 AM   #15
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Lack of clear on one wheel?
Im not so sure I see a lot of baked on brake dust in these pics. Look at where the spokes meet the outer rim, you can see it baked on there. They will either clean up with ironx, sonex wheel cleaner, and or clay bar if there is any clear left.

http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-wheel-cleaner.html

Other wise the clear may damaged by an over agressive product, incorrect product, or brake dust left on the surface too long.

If you try to warranty those, your going to have to clean them up to include the entire painted surface of the rim, ie the inside area.

Sonal full effect, and.... this will help.

http://www.autogeek.net/ezdebrfca.html

In any case I doubt they will warranty it, brake dust is very caustic, that will be their out. You can have a wheel repair shop repair them.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:27 PM   #16
codiehinch

Drives: 2015 1LE
Thanks for all the help guys!
codiehinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:58 PM   #17
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by codiehinch View Post
Thanks for all the help guys!
Try this product first. It is one of the best for removing brake dust. Contamination will change from green to purple.

http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-wheel-cleaner.html

Once clean if they are still dull you can try this product. Seals them and add gloss. Easy application. Also makes the waaaayyyyy easier to clean.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/polis...l#.V0uB8MtlDqA
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:03 PM   #18
68rssscamaro
Camaro: A Legend Reborn!!

Drives: SOLD: 12 2SS/RS LS3 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by codiehinch View Post
I'm going to take it to the dealership, i have no idea what could have done it?
Just be careful what you tell them what you have used to clean the wheel, they may blame it on the product. If you used anything. Not sure what the manual says to use for product but I would stick to that.

68rssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:04 AM   #19
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
I'll throw a weird one out there; perhaps you should check that brake for hanging up. I did a huge burnout with my street machine years ago and the heat generated sucked all the shine out of my convo pro wheels. They were polished aluminum. I had to re-polish them. If you have a brake hanging up the heat may be killing that wheel.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:30 AM   #20
Woodley99

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I wouldn't use spray tire shine directly on tires as it gets on paint on the car and rims. What I do is use a microfiber wax applicator and soak it with tire shine and one wheel at a time wipe it in tires. Gives it a nice even look with no mess!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
ARH LT headers, TSP Stage 3 231/236 3 bolt cam, .660 dual springs titanium retainers, TSP rocker trunion upgrade, 3" exhaust no cats with flowmaster mufflers. Vmax TB, MTI plug wires, 160 stat, tr55 plugs, Vararam CAI. Eiabech 1" lowering springs. Elite catch can. ZL1 style spoiler. Street Scene front splitter. LED afterburners. HPT tuned by Geoff at Next Level Performance 470 rwhp 434 rwtq
Woodley99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:11 AM   #21
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Not sure anyone said it but, there are two kinds of wheel cleaners - one formulated for clear coat PAINT and one for bare metal, like aluminum. The bare metal product will etch the clear coat over time. (I didn't read the links)
Old 05-30-2016, 10:56 AM   #22
codiehinch

All I've ever used is just regular car wash mix on the wheels, I'm going to try some of your ideas and I will update on the results.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:29 AM   #23
Airway Monkey

Drives: 2015 2SS/1LE
What tire shine are you using??
Airway Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:50 AM   #24
chef-beavis

Guys, I think the OP knows how to clean them or he would have 4 dull wheels. This is obviously one that was mis-manufactured, repaired incorrectly, or something else. I'd start with the dealer for a warranty attempt. I'd ask them to explain why 1 out of 4 is doing it, if they try going down the "What do you clean them with?" path. I really don't think this is the OP's fault. If they ask what you use, the answer is, "The same thing I use on the other 3." End of story.

The bottom line is the car has a defect; whether it is the finish on the wheel or a hung up brake, or whatever. It should be covered if the dealer is worth a snit.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #25
codiehinch

got the cleaner recommended in the mail today, will update tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:20 PM   #26
codiehinch

Ok so I tried the sonex wheel cleaner, the first time I applied it the stuff turned from green to red, I used a detailing wheel brush to agitate, washed it down and dried said wheel. Still a dull finish. I repeated the process but this time the stuff stayed green and still a dull finish. No point in posing more pictures as everything looks the same just a bit cleaner than last time. It was worth a try I guess. Guna take it to the dealership and see what happens next week.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:30 PM   #27
chef-beavis

Good luck, OP. As I stated above, do not let the dealer give you enough rope to hang yourself. When they ask what you cleaned the wheel with, the reply needs to be, "The same thing I cleaned the other three with." The wheel's finish is defective. Plain and simple.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:23 PM   #28
Sidecardog1

Drives: 2015 2SS, 1LE, Dual Mode, Black
Did you have any work done on that wheel, like a flat fix or tire change ? I had mine into the dealer for a screw in the tread area, they scratched the rim taking off a balance weight(s) and when re-mounting the repaired tire. The dealer then "repainted" the wheel and it looked OK at first, but when I washed it a few days later, the sponge was grabby on the wheel and the new paint started coming off. Went back and complained and they replaced the wheel. I bring this up because your wheel looks like it has a missing balance weight. If that isn't your cause, then stick with the line Chef-Beavis gave you, that is good advice.
Sidecardog1 is offline   Reply With Quote