Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 10-01-2020, 09:10 PM   #1
Sidecardog1

Drives: 2015 2SS, 1LE, Dual Mode, Black
Rear View Mirror Viewability Issue

OK, my 1LE is now 6 years old and the mirror glass in the shaded area which is approx. 1/4" in from the outer edge has become almost unusable. I am assuming that the entire assembly needs to be replaced. Has anyone else experienced this issue ? This is the first car I have owned through the years that had a rearview mirror go bad. I don't have a Service Manual to guide me for removal. Can anyone shed some light on how the mirror assembly can be removed and replaced ? Thanks ! I assume that having a dealer replace this will be quite costly, so if it is something that I could do myself that would be the preferred solution. Everything else on the mirror works fine, On-star button etc., this is strictly a mechanical issue with the mirror glass backing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sidecardog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:37 AM   #2
byrds8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS, L99
My 2013 looks like its de-laminating. Has black spots all over it. Like you, this is the only car I have ever owned that had a mirror "go bad". I will be soon to replace this. If I am not mistaken, there is a allen screw that holds the mirror in place. So it would be just remove that and unplug. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

If you mirror is the bezel less one with light sensitivity, its going to cost around $160ish if you get it online vs the $260 the dealer wants. Not sure if the 2015 is the same as the 2013 though.
2013 Camaro SS/RS, Stainless Power long tube headers with HF's, Air Raid CAI, Solo Mach XL cat back, BC Racing coil overs, Elite Engineering catch can, Ferrada Forge 8 Wheels, Windows tinted at 20%, Tuned by Dyno Steve.
byrds8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:03 AM   #3
Sidecardog1

Thanks for the feedback. I will take a closer look to see about the allen screw.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:28 PM   #4
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
best of luck - please post again when you get it done and tell us how difficult or easy it was. thank you!

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #5
Sidecardog1

Thanks, I will do that for sure !
Old 10-02-2020, 09:16 PM   #6
Sidecardog1

Rear View Mirror Viewability Issue

I resolved the rearview mirror issue, thanks to everyone's help. On my 2015 1LE, the swivel base screw is a T-15 Torx. There are two plastic pieces to remove, one is a cable type snap on clamp and the other is a plastic cover which hides the 7-pin electrical connector underneath. The only tool you need is a T-15 torx screwdriver as the plastic covers just snap off by hand. The cable with the 7 wires is held under the cover by pushing into a path built into part of the swivel base arm assembly with the mirror. The connector slides on to the swivel base so once you get that off, the mirror is only held to the car by the electrical connector, so support the weight of the mirror assembly with one hand and don't let it hang by the cable. While I had it off, I called the dealer Part's Dep't and the mirror assembly I ordered was GM P/N 233189285 based upon my VIN. From the Dealer $260.13, from GM Parts Direct $169.35.

So while I wait for my new mirror, I cut a piece of plastic mirror for temporary use that I picked up from AutoZone, cut to shape of the tinted area that is messed up as you can see in the photos attached. In the one photo of the mirror that I am holding in my hand, note the reflection of a ceiling exhaust grate part of which is reflected in the damaged zone and one corner is reflected in the clear mirror. That is really poor rear view visibility !! The temporary plastic overlay will do until the new mirror assembly arrives, but you don't want to use that long term. The disassembled parts shown in the one photo is the mirror assembly with female connector pigtail and swivel base. The other 3 items are the T-15 screw, to the left of that the cable clamp that snaps onto the mirrors arm and to the left of that the longer plastic cover that snaps onto the swivel base and covers the electrical connectors.

Update note: The original posting indicated that the torx screw involved was a T-20, this was incorrect the actual correct size is T-15. The replacement mirror was received from GM on 12October2020 and that was when I realized the error as the new mirror assembly was delivered completely ready to install with a new screw already in, the connector half and cable clamp already affixed to the mirror. The entire install took less than 5 minutes. I just wanted to set the record straight. So please disregard the file name on the picture below, the true size of the screw is a T-15.

Thanks again for the assistance
Attached Images
File Type: pdf MirrorAssemblyCoverClampT20screw.pdf (223.5 KB, 150 views)
File Type: pdf MirrorShowingDamagedArea.pdf (417.4 KB, 154 views)
File Type: pdf MirrorShowingOpticalLossDamage.pdf (266.3 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by Sidecardog1; 10-12-2020 at 05:13 PM. Reason: To correct Torx screw size in original posting & update
Old 10-02-2020, 09:27 PM   #7
byrds8

Looks like your mirror is much worse than mine is. I am still soon to order myself a new one also. Hate looking in it and seeing all the black spots.
2013 Camaro SS/RS, Stainless Power long tube headers with HF's, Air Raid CAI, Solo Mach XL cat back, BC Racing coil overs, Elite Engineering catch can, Ferrada Forge 8 Wheels, Windows tinted at 20%, Tuned by Dyno Steve.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:16 PM   #8
Sidecardog1

I updated the original results today after installing the replacement mirror assembly from GM to correct the screw size from T-20 to T-15. I can see what I left behind me again !
Old 10-12-2020, 08:34 PM   #9
Falfan

Drives: 14 SS
You all can make use out of the rearview mirror? I have mine angled all the way up and still have to duck down to see out of it...wondered why they even put one in.
Falfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:52 PM   #10
byrds8

Mirror arrived today and now replaced. Total after tax and shipping $187. At least now it doesn't have black dots all over the place. After I got it out and looked at it, the surface of the glass was flawless. Whatever was going on with it was on the inside of the mirror
Old 10-16-2020, 08:59 PM   #11
CCMADONNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrds8 View Post
Mirror arrived today and now replaced. Total after tax and shipping $187. At least now it doesn't have black dots all over the place. After I got it out and looked at it, the surface of the glass was flawless. Whatever was going on with it was on the inside of the mirror
can you provide a link for where you got your mirror, please?
thank you!

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:08 PM   #12
byrds8

Below is the link for the light sensitive, frame-less mirror. Took all of 5 min to install.

https://www.gmpartsoutlet.net/oem-pa...nside-23189285
Old 10-17-2020, 08:29 AM   #13
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
^Not very reassuring when the parts house can't even bother to post actual photos of what they are selling. Thanks for being the guinea pig.
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:58 PM   #14
CCMADONNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrds8 View Post
Below is the link for the light sensitive, frame-less mirror. Took all of 5 min to install.

https://www.gmpartsoutlet.net/oem-pa...nside-23189285
THANK YOU!!!!

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT