Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-21-2017, 12:26 PM   #99
ShizzySupra

Drives: 16' Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackersFan26 View Post
Wonder if Hellion would be able to shed some light here
Couple reasons: they have filters on them. That will quiet down the "spool". Second: They are running on LOW boost IE not very much air running through them thus the "noise" or "spool" is low because the engine is physically not ingesting the air needed to make the noise.

This is a very, very basic non-science way to explain it.
ShizzySupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:32 PM   #100
PackersFan26

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
I have the same turbos and no cats. You can hear them just a little above idle especially when there are buildings near by. Can't hear them at all at wot.
thanks for the clarity. The 5th gen hellion kit is crazy loud. was hoping this new kit would be similar. i wonder if there will be options for different turbos. seems crazy but im all about the sound of turbos
Old 09-21-2017, 06:15 PM   #101
HELLION TURBO

Drives: Twin Turbo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackersFan26 View Post
thanks for the clarity. The 5th gen hellion kit is crazy loud. was hoping this new kit would be similar. i wonder if there will be options for different turbos. seems crazy but im all about the sound of turbos
We were waiting to release this, but it seems relevant to post here and now

This is our HLX compressor upgrade, aka " The Screamer".

We will be offering this modification as a compressor cover upgrade that intensifies the "perfect turbo sound" while instilling fear and jealousy in anyone within earshot.

More details will be released soon.

Team Hellion
Attached Images

HELLION TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:19 PM   #102
PackersFan26

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
Oh man! I can't wait to hear those babies! Sound clips?
Old 09-21-2017, 11:39 PM   #103
solobaric

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLION TURBO View Post
We were waiting to release this, but it seems relevant to post here and now

This is our HLX compressor upgrade, aka " The Screamer".

We will be offering this modification as a compressor cover upgrade that intensifies the "perfect turbo sound" while instilling fear and jealousy in anyone within earshot.

More details will be released soon.

Team Hellion
You had me at "the Screamer"!!
Old 09-22-2017, 12:16 AM   #104
HB1SS

Drives: 17 1SS
That's funny.
HB1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:30 AM   #105
Ecchi667

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 6spd M
If the intake pipes are made of rubber or plastic, you'll also get a louder turbo sound by switching to metal, especially when running at higher boost - instead of just relying on the turbine noise you'll also get the "whoosh" as the air goes through the pipes.
Ecchi667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:21 AM   #106
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
I've been following this post for a little while and thought I would chip in with my 2 cents. I have the AGP twin turbo kit on my car and it has smaller turbos than this Hellion Kit comes with so what I'm saying will most definitely apply to this kit. I happen to live in an area with a lot of open space and frequently commute 100+ miles to either Dallas or Oklahoma City. My commutes frequently include some very high speed driving. If the road is clear I let it run.

First, any twin turbo kit will have the potential to make more power than the stock motor can handle. Now maybe if you drive around town at posted speed limits and just give your engine a little throttle to pass every now and then, maybe take it to 140 and local 1/4 mile strip every once in a while... it may handle 700+ horsepower and hold together fine. But if you get out and go wide open for 50+ miles at a time the LT1 is going to break. If you want to drive it for what it will give you and you want the stock engine to survive I would not put in the LT4 pump or injectors. My twin turbo car made about 630 with only a low side fuel pump upgrade and I think if I were to do it again I would dial it back a little from there and leave it alone. Once I added the LT4 pump and injectors we were able to go over 730 whp. I dialed it back to about 650 and drove it for about 4000 miles before I broke a piston. I'm building a forged motor now.

My small turbos realistically probably will be good for about 800 whp maybe 850. when the forged motor is in it I'll find out. So if you guys are thinking about going turbos for the extra power available via turbos you better plan on replacing the pistons or plan on driving it gingerly to save the motor.

Regarding the sound. Just putting a turbo into the exhaust stream is like putting another muffler in the exhaust. The car will be quieter with a turbo system. My car is really quiet and personally I like it. When I leave town I spend at least 30 minutes in the car and do not like to think about how loud the exhaust is the entire time I'm driving. When I watch car shows it seems everyone loves loud exhaust, it gets a little tiring for me, but to each his own. I honestly think you could completely remove the mufflers with a turbo system and it would sound similar to the stock car with NPP in sport mode. It may even be a little quieter. If you want to sound fast put on a supercharger and headers, if you want to be fast put on the turbos.

This looks like a nice kit. It has the potential to make a lot more power than a stock LT1 can handle.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:03 AM   #107
Eyefixstuff

Drives: 16’ 2SS A8 HBM Procharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I've been following this post for a little while and thought I would chip in with my 2 cents. I have the AGP twin turbo kit on my car and it has smaller turbos than this Hellion Kit comes with so what I'm saying will most definitely apply to this kit. I happen to live in an area with a lot of open space and frequently commute 100+ miles to either Dallas or Oklahoma City. My commutes frequently include some very high speed driving. If the road is clear I let it run.

First, any twin turbo kit will have the potential to make more power than the stock motor can handle. Now maybe if you drive around town at posted speed limits and just give your engine a little throttle to pass every now and then, maybe take it to 140 and local 1/4 mile strip every once in a while... it may handle 700+ horsepower and hold together fine. But if you get out and go wide open for 50+ miles at a time the LT1 is going to break. If you want to drive it for what it will give you and you want the stock engine to survive I would not put in the LT4 pump or injectors. My twin turbo car made about 630 with only a low side fuel pump upgrade and I think if I were to do it again I would dial it back a little from there and leave it alone. Once I added the LT4 pump and injectors we were able to go over 730 whp. I dialed it back to about 650 and drove it for about 4000 miles before I broke a piston. I'm building a forged motor now.

My small turbos realistically probably will be good for about 800 whp maybe 850. when the forged motor is in it I'll find out. So if you guys are thinking about going turbos for the extra power available via turbos you better plan on replacing the pistons or plan on driving it gingerly to save the motor.

Regarding the sound. Just putting a turbo into the exhaust stream is like putting another muffler in the exhaust. The car will be quieter with a turbo system. My car is really quiet and personally I like it. When I leave town I spend at least 30 minutes in the car and do not like to think about how loud the exhaust is the entire time I'm driving. When I watch car shows it seems everyone loves loud exhaust, it gets a little tiring for me, but to each his own. I honestly think you could completely remove the mufflers with a turbo system and it would sound similar to the stock car with NPP in sport mode. It may even be a little quieter. If you want to sound fast put on a supercharger and headers, if you want to be fast put on the turbos.

This looks like a nice kit. It has the potential to make a lot more power than a stock LT1 can handle.
This is why I was asking the benefits of this kit over your typical centrifugal supercharger setup for someone that does not have plans going forged.

I think this kit is the balls. And it looks sweet. But don’t think it’s worth it unless you have an LT4 or are planning to drop some coin on internal upgrades. Unless of course you just want turbos. I don’t think the real world differences are going to be as noticeable as it’s being marketed to be. Would love to see some 1/4 mile results.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:38 AM   #108
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
With all the 5th gen disaster kits sold I hope this isn't a repeat.. I won't go into listing all the problems.. Hopefully the kit works as well as it looks.. That top mounted stuff seems to really catch the younger crowds eye over what actually works better (lower mount kits).

I'd be interested to see how much more power you can make on a stock fuel system over a PD setup with no mods..

I feel safe saying that with no fuels mods (lift or high side pump) a PD is good for about 580 to the wheels in hot climate..

If I was going off of what we saw with the 5th gen.. I would say 630 to wheels?

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:56 PM   #109
hitmix300
2016 loaded 2SS

Drives: Maverick X3 Turbo R
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
With all the 5th gen disaster kits sold I hope this isn't a repeat.. I won't go into listing all the problems.. Hopefully the kit works as well as it looks.. That top mounted stuff seems to really catch the younger crowds eye over what actually works better (lower mount kits).

I'd be interested to see how much more power you can make on a stock fuel system over a PD setup with no mods..

I feel safe saying that with no fuels mods (lift or high side pump) a PD is good for about 580 to the wheels in hot climate..

If I was going off of what we saw with the 5th gen.. I would say 630 to wheels?
Every turbo system manufacture has their ups & downs man. I would rather have a gravity oil drain system rather than a scavenger pump that could possibly fail or the wiring may get damaged and stop giving your engine it's oil back...

last time i checked, top mount kits work just fine.

hitmix300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:04 AM   #110
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Oil issue would make smoke not damage any thing I'm talking about cracked manifolds and plug wires you had to change every time you went out. The 5th gen owners now it be true!

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
Old 10-02-2017, 08:43 AM   #111
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
We have installed several Hellion Kits and not experienced any problems related to the system design.

I believe most problems are installer induced.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:52 AM   #112
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
We have installed several Hellion Kits and not experienced any problems related to the system design.

I believe most problems are installer induced.
Well that's good enough for me..

Another note talking w Fireball they have reached out to Helion w same concerns as to they might be offering kits on the fireball.. I mentioned to them while inquiry on a fireball they new of the same problems from the 5th gen..and didn't want a repeat..

So it looks like the problems are fixed.. but people only remember bad things..