Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-05-2023, 10:38 AM   #15
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Durant View Post
As you say its not that bad and a lot better than the stock system. I have had a few Harmon and Bose Systems in various cars, my sons Mazda 3 has an amazing system in it from Bose as well. I will say I am not sure how you do plus 4 on the bass though, that must be some big boom, or did you mean minus 4 ? All in all for the money it can be adusted to sound enjoyable overall.

plus 4 on bass, plus 3 on mids and plus 6 on treb. Then move the sound stage backwards two clicks.

This allows you to not turn the radio up as loud to hear anything and some of that boominess gets reduced and pushed backwards. I'm speaking about the Bose Premium system in the coupe though, not the convertible system.

Even with my settings above, you can jsut turn the bass down to +1 and it will still sound good. The issue with turning anything into the negatives in this car is that it actually detracts from the sounds you want to hear. My method makes the sound stage more full, while turning up the "gain" so to say, at the same time. So you actually use a lower volume setting for louder sound. But the sound is more full if that makes sense.

There is a company that makes OEM replacement speakers for our cars that match the ohms and similar watt sensitivity so you could plug and play. The speaker material is of higher quality which should result in a better sound than the factory paper speakers. I plan to do this swap down the road at some point. They make 6x9's but I'm still not sure about the mids yet. Still searching for options there.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 10:57 AM   #16
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
plus 4 on bass, plus 3 on mids and plus 6 on treb. Then move the sound stage backwards two clicks.

This allows you to not turn the radio up as loud to hear anything and some of that boominess gets reduced and pushed backwards. I'm speaking about the Bose Premium system in the coupe though, not the convertible system.

Even with my settings above, you can jsut turn the bass down to +1 and it will still sound good. The issue with turning anything into the negatives in this car is that it actually detracts from the sounds you want to hear. My method makes the sound stage more full, while turning up the "gain" so to say, at the same time. So you actually use a lower volume setting for louder sound. But the sound is more full if that makes sense.

There is a company that makes OEM replacement speakers for our cars that match the ohms and similar watt sensitivity so you could plug and play. The speaker material is of higher quality which should result in a better sound than the factory paper speakers. I plan to do this swap down the road at some point. They make 6x9's but I'm still not sure about the mids yet. Still searching for options there.

As you acknowledged… you don’t have a convertible….definitely can’t compare systems, given the lack of rear deck speakers and modulated source signal(s) top up and down.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 12:31 PM   #17
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
I would like to know what the "buzzy bass" comments are referring to.

Is this panels buzzing (which is what I expect)? Panels can be quieted down pretty easily and you can test this by pressing/holding panels and listening for the buzz to go away.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 12:53 PM   #18
Anjilslaire

Drives: 2021 3LT RS A10
Quote:

This is exactly what I'm looking for! Will try, thanks!
Anjilslaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 01:46 PM   #19
FH-ZL1

Drives: 2021 ZL1
I would be interested in hearing what other 'vert owners have found to be decent settings. I know it is subjective but I am curious as to what others have been happy with.
FH-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 04:25 PM   #20
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FH-ZL1 View Post
I would be interested in hearing what other 'vert owners have found to be decent settings. I know it is subjective but I am curious as to what others have been happy with.
I don’t own a vert now, but did own two of them. Honestly, the settings are totally dependent on your source input and the type of music. Both the Bose and the base system easily get overwhelmed if pushed a bit. The “best” happy medium, was +2 bass, -1 midrange, +1 treble. The rear panel speakers are pretty much useless (fill only), so fading more to the back isn’t really discernible (especially with the top down). Balance +1 to the right. I still found myself modifying the above settings to fit the genre I was listening to. Listening to something like Metallica, was painful (unless the top was up and the volume was very low).
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 04:55 PM   #21
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Hmm I have the premium Bose system and with a little tweaking it sounds pretty good.

I move the sound towards the back 2 clicks, then I think I have the EQ set to +4 +3 +6. It's not the greatest by any means, but its far better than standard settings. If you're setting the EQ in the negatives, I'm sure it sounds like crap.
I don't know about "Pretty good", but shifting the fader to the rear a couple clicks helped a lot with the boominess. I agree with the OP, though, it is crazy how boomy the bass is. I went from a 2016 to my current 2023 and it is a 180 switch - the 2016 had zero bass, and hardly any volume. I was expecting the same thing, and it wasn't.

My goal is still to add a subwoofer and try to put a passive filter on the 6x9's to pull some bass. I know it will screw up my noise cancellation, but I am willing to risk it!

-Geoff

Last edited by SomeGeoffGuy; 09-05-2023 at 09:33 PM.
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 05:35 PM   #22
FH-ZL1

Drives: 2021 ZL1
Thanks Chutzpah, I get it that there are a lot of other variables to take into consideration. Some of my playlists have a wide variety of music from many different sources so there is not going to be any "one size fits all" solution. But after suffering from some paralysis from analysis playing with the settings, I was just curious what other people had settled on (if they even had) as as a sort of "best of the worst" for some sort of more universal settings. If I was back in my younger years (the mid 70's) I would throw a ton of money at the problem but I'm not going to do that anymore, I just want to make the most of what we are given.
FH-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 07:27 AM   #23
mjm

Drives: 2023 Camaro LT1
😂 Love this thread. I've been playing with speaker split and equalizer on every drive. It's best to just turn it off and listen to the exhaust! That said I think the angle of the limited space in this great car makes great stereo sound difficult. So I'm focusing on learning how to do great burnouts instead. I'm guessing I'm not the only one did NOT buy a 2023 LT1 for the stereo! Enjoy the ride!
mjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 07:39 AM   #24
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Durant View Post
my son's Mazda 3 has an amazing system in it from Bose as well.
My daughter has a 2019 Mazda 3 with the Bose. It has a subwoofer with dedicated amp. The unit sits over the spare tire. That's a decent way to do it.
Bose in the Camaro coupe is adequate. The rear 6x9's and rear 4's are barely used, but do add something. I can understand the same system in the vert (minus the rear deck 6x9's) being a letdown.
There are some nice vert upgrades here. But upgrading is pretty costly.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 05:53 PM   #25
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock and Steel View Post
Oh you want to dive down into the stereo modification rabbit hole! If you find any simple adjustments or mods (replacements, additions, settings) that make the stereo sound better, please post here in your thread. I gave up on that and just accepted that this car interior doesn't have a great space for entertaining audio. Years down the road when I have a new vehicle, I'll probably look back and say "I love that Camaro, but the stereo stunk like poo!"
LOL to your post Shock!

I don’t think it’s the interior per se - I was able to get a great sound… after about $6K invested.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561714

All it takes is money, Honey!
Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 03:11 PM   #26
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by FH-ZL1 View Post
2016 2SS Vert with Bose here. Here are my settings.

Bass: anywhere from +3 to +9, depending on song/source
Mid: +3
Treb: Max

I've had budget aftermarket systems in two of my previous cars. Both had a pair of 8" subs, amps and EQ. I'm no audiophile, but I think I can distinguish between crap sound, good sound, and, to a certain extent, high quality sound. With the above settings, the Bose system sounds decent to me. I usually don't have any problem hearing the system on the highway with the top and windows down and volume at 50%.
1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 05:04 PM   #27
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANNAXMAN View Post
2016 2SS Vert with Bose here. Here are my settings.

Bass: anywhere from +3 to +9, depending on song/source
Mid: +3
Treb: Max

I've had budget aftermarket systems in two of my previous cars. Both had a pair of 8" subs, amps and EQ. I'm no audiophile, but I think I can distinguish between crap sound, good sound, and, to a certain extent, high quality sound. With the above settings, the Bose system sounds decent to me. I usually don't have any problem hearing the system on the highway with the top and windows down and volume at 50%.
My 2016 was almost the same. At some point they must have re-calibrated it and now it has the opposite problem on the latest cars - bass is too boomy. They used to use a MOST signal, so my guess is that whenever they switched to the latest LAN based revision (I think 2019) the "sound" of the stereo changed.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 03:07 PM   #28
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
My 2016 was almost the same. At some point they must have re-calibrated it and now it has the opposite problem on the latest cars - bass is too boomy. They used to use a MOST signal, so my guess is that whenever they switched to the latest LAN based revision (I think 2019) the "sound" of the stereo changed.

-Geoff
I had a feeling the lower sound quality might be attributed to the newer platform, that's why I made sure to point out I have a 2016. I also did notice FH-ZL1 has the Bose GM-LAN system, but his question seemed open to all vert owners. In addition, Chutzpah pointed out that Megahurtz's settings may not be relevant to this thread because he has a coupe.
1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote