Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-05-2023, 11:55 AM   #1
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Anyone fit an 8" mid woofer in the doors?

I was looking at this 8" mid-woofer from Stereo Integrity. I think it might fit in the front doors of our car with the proper spacer. Has anyone tried ot make a speaker like this fit? https://stereointegrity.com/product/tm8/

I know the question is WHY? But the answer is just BECAUSE. Seemed like it might be fun to try. It has been getting some great reviews and it isn't a bank account killer. Going to pair it with some Audiofrogs in the dash spots for now.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 07:53 PM   #2
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
$420 for the pair of 8¨ woofers…. That’s not cheap… If the goal is more and better bass, I think a subwoofer can be had for similar money and guaranteed much better result. I have a JL 10¨ box in the trunk that is portable with a handle and click-lock detachable input cable.

There are other threads about how to add a sub only to an existing system. Are you Bose or non-Bose?

I’ll put a link to my build just FYI.

ZL1 vert stereo upgrade
Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 09:50 PM   #3
SomeGeoffGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasar View Post
$420 for the pair of 8¨ woofers…. That’s not cheap… If the goal is more and better bass, I think a subwoofer can be had for similar money and guaranteed much better result. I have a JL 10¨ box in the trunk that is portable with a handle and click-lock detachable input cable.

There are other threads about how to add a sub only to an existing system. Are you Bose or non-Bose?

I’ll put a link to my build just FYI.

ZL1 vert stereo upgrade
Who said I wasn't going to also do a subwoofer? I am working on a trunk corner box that nobody in the aftermarket has bothered to make yet, and probably never will.

-Geoff
Old 06-06-2023, 11:36 PM   #4
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
https://www.jlaudio.com/products/sb-...ealthbox-94632
Attached Images

Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 08:15 AM   #5
SomeGeoffGuy

That box also turns my convertible into a coupe. I am making something similar, but it doesn't reach that far forward.

-Geoff
Old 06-08-2023, 04:25 AM   #6
SWRocket

Drives: 2021 2SS
Those SI 8s look amazing. I'll be following this thread. If you figure out how to mount them please share here.
2021 2SS A10 - Summit White - NPP - MRC - Adrenaline Red Interior Pkg - Black Appearance Pkg - Ground Effect Pkg - Suede Steering Wheel and shifter - Red Calipers - Carbon Flash Wheels w black lug nuts - DD Tinted Side Markers - Hero Tinted Rear Reflectors - Redline Fender Badges - 20% Tint
Audio System Build Log
-----------------------------------------------------------
2014 Z/28 Summit White - sold 2020
2010 2SS/RS Summit White - sold 2014
SWRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:51 AM   #7
SomeGeoffGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWRocket View Post
Those SI 8s look amazing. I'll be following this thread. If you figure out how to mount them please share here.
I am glad to see that someone on here gets it! Thank you! They do look amazing. Most people don't think about the bass between 100 and 1000 kHz, but I think these will sound incredible there. I think it really needs a 3-way front stage to sound best, though, and I am only going to have a 2-way for now with Audiofrog GS25's. Maybe I will add a high end tweeter later.

I think the key is going to be finding the right spacer. Some of the guys are actually 3D printing them. I figure the woofer needs to sit about 20 mm off the door surface to fit properly to the sheet metal - similar to how the factory 6x9 sits. I ordered some super cheap Audiopipe 8.5" OD spacers, but I think they might be a little too big. They are flimsy plastic round channels but I figure a tube of RTV or something similar will stiffen them up.

It should be a fun project regardless! I just need my new car to get built - TPW was Monday. Not going to tear the door panel off the car I am trading in...

-Geoff
Old 06-08-2023, 01:35 PM   #8
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
I think it really needs a 3-way front stage to sound best, though, and I am only going to have a 2-way for now with Audiofrog GS25's. Maybe I will add a high end tweeter later.
I have the GS25 in the sotck dash locations and their GS69 in the doors. They now offer a GS8ND for under-seat and door locations that looks pretty similar in intent to the SI units you linked. FWIW, Andy Wehmeyer - the honcho at Audiofrog - says that the GS25 and GS8ND is a great pairing. If the 8s had been available when I started my installation, maybe I'd have tried them instead.

The GS25 is really intended to cover the entire range of tweeter and mid in a dash location where it's bouncing off the glass. I think it would not be ideal to add/pair a true tweeter in the pillar with it. Audiofrog makes a GB25 that is intended more for a three-way setup, mounted in a pillar along with a GB10 tweeter. But for the minimal cost and easy installation of the GS25, it really delivers surprisingly well: much more detailed and natural mids and treble and even delivers a bit of a soundstage with proper DSP.
Old 06-08-2023, 03:04 PM   #9
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
That box also turns my convertible into a coupe. I am making something similar, but it doesn't reach that far forward.

-Geoff
Is your box going to be similar to the enclosure CaliMBF had made? Custom Subwoofer and Speaker Replacement on 2SS Vert

DrFeelgood's looks like it protrudes a bit more than CaliMBF's.
1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:00 PM   #10
SomeGeoffGuy

Mine will be in that spot, but probably not near as nice! Going to go for a single 8". I have about 0.7 ft^2 in a diamond shaped box.

-Geoff
Old 07-05-2023, 07:03 PM   #11
drewleague

Drives: Subaru WRX
Will be following this, I have the SI TMIV 6.5s and the GB15 audiofrog that I was planning on installing into my new SS1LE but if those 8s fit that purchase might need to happen along with the 2.5s from SI
drewleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 11:28 PM   #12
SomeGeoffGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewleague View Post
Will be following this, I have the SI TMIV 6.5s and the GB15 audiofrog that I was planning on installing into my new SS1LE but if those 8s fit that purchase might need to happen along with the 2.5s from SI
I found a guy who has modeled the SI 8's and 3D prints spacers for them. I am going to get with him and see if he can add the attachment features for the Bose speaker with the integrated bracket. Otherwise, I will just try to get the round spacers in there. That speaker definitely need a good spacer to get them to fit right. There is over an inch between the door panel and sheet metal, so the speaker needs to come up a bit to fit in there.

Of course, Since I am still waiting for my car delivery, I haven't had a chance to really dig into the project...

-Geoff
Old 07-06-2023, 02:11 PM   #13
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
The doors can produce a lot of useful midbass, but the panels need a decent amount of treatment to keep them quiet. Even the stock woofers can induce door panel rattles.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 05:47 AM   #14
drewleague

Drives: Subaru WRX
Quote:
I found a guy who has modeled the SI 8's and 3D prints spacers for them. I am going to get with him and see if he can add the attachment features for the Bose speaker with the integrated bracket. Otherwise, I will just try to get the round spacers in there. That speaker definitely need a good spacer to get them to fit right. There is over an inch between the door panel and sheet metal, so the speaker needs to come up a bit to fit in there.

Of course, Since I am still waiting for my car delivery, I haven't had a chance to really dig into the project...

-Geoff
Would you be able to provide their details? I’m willing to try it out.
drewleague is offline   Reply With Quote