#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 11-20-2020, 11:20 AM   #15
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
So that means you cant get anyof the ptm stuff either, right?

Would that be better than a proper clutch lsd diff?

I had dabbled with track days before my 1LE, but have gone to a LOT more track events since I got it.

My other cars had the 'vectoring systems' that have an open diff+braking to simulate a real diff. They kinda worked, but mostly ate brake pads at a horrendous rate.

Personally, and probably because I started as a semi-novice now solidly in Intermediate, I think the eLSD (PTM) is magic.

The one turn I can point to and say "That's amazing!" is turn 16 at Sebring. I can enter the turn and then just mash the pedal to the floor and hold on. I feel like I get shot out of that corner. I regularly overtake GT350/Porsche guys there because they had to wait for corner exit to get back on the power.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #16
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Yeah, like Dave mentioned electrically integrating it would be a nightmare. Not only is it a new harness needing to be built, but quite a few modules would need to be flashed with either custom software that aftermarket doesn't have, a GM dealer that you're close with and knows well enough which software and modules you need, or a GM employee that doesn't care about keeping their job.

And adding to Tim and Krops you can't add eLSD, factory PDR, or PTM. You can get pretty close in terms of performance with aftermarket parts, but from my searching it came out nearly the same as the $7k 1LE option from GM so I just opted to go the route that had everything ready to go off the lot, at least assuming that's still what the option costs.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:30 AM   #17
D K

Drives: C5
Pretty much exactly what I was afraid of....
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 02:36 PM   #18
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
In short, if you want to have a car that is good at the track, 1LE. If you want to build a track car, SS, maybe with a couple of choice options.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:32 PM   #19
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
You want a streetable track car? SS 1LE.

You want an all out, pure track car, essentially something you can road race? 1SS.

The one thing to keep in mind with the SS 1LE eLSD vs the SS clutch LSD, other than its operation/capability, is long-termed reliability: the SS 1LE LSD can be serviced and the SS clutch LSD is very limited. You can service the differential and clutch fluid, the clutches and the bearings in the eLSD - the ring gear is bolted to the differential carrier (but no aftermarket gears are available). You can only service the differential fluid and some bearings in the SS LSD - there are not service clutches and the ring gear is welded to the differential carrier.

I will add that some people end up not liking the electronic working of the eLSD in certain circumstances and prefer the mechanical, more-"predictable" response of the clutch differential.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:05 PM   #20
D K

If I got the regular SS, I would probably swP out the lsd anyway, to something like an os giken, or any of the other clutch type options.

I can usually tune a mechanical diff pretty good with friction modifier and having the right preload set, but it will be for one particular grip level, not like the elsd magic that the 1le seems to be all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
You want a streetable track car? SS 1LE.

You want an all out, pure track car, essentially something you can road race? 1SS.

The one thing to keep in mind with the SS 1LE eLSD vs the SS clutch LSD, other than its operation/capability, is long-termed reliability: the SS 1LE LSD can be serviced and the SS clutch LSD is very limited. You can service the differential and clutch fluid, the clutches and the bearings in the eLSD - the ring gear is bolted to the differential carrier (but no aftermarket gears are available). You can only service the differential fluid and some bearings in the SS LSD - there are not service clutches and the ring gear is welded to the differential carrier.

I will add that some people end up not liking the electronic working of the eLSD in certain circumstances and prefer the mechanical, more-"predictable" response of the clutch differential.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:08 PM   #21
m3bs

Drives: '19 ZLE, S54 E36M3
Doesn’t the 1LE also add cooling for oil, trans and diff?
m3bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:14 PM   #22
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
Both have coolers, 1le are larger though
Old 11-21-2020, 10:44 AM   #23
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
Im interested to know if the LE has any specific parts that wouldnt get swapped out by aftermarket anyway?
1LE is a track car. With a 5 yr warranty. With no need to "build" anything, other than stickier tires if you want more pace. Period, full stop.

To build out an SS into a similar performance envelope will likley cost you the same, if not more than getting a 1LE.

If you want a "race car" pick a lighter platform, like a C5 and go nuts from there. Money much better spent imo.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:06 AM   #24
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Buy a SS 1LE, DSC Sport Controller, do Heads/Cam/Intake, put on Hoosiers or 3R tires......be faster than 90% of the cars.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:56 AM   #25
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
Buy a SS 1LE, DSC Sport Controller, do Heads/Cam/Intake, put on Hoosiers or 3R tires......be faster than 90% of the cars.
I think you are being ultra conservative with 90% considering this package

Having thought of the OP a bit longer, i am not sure what he means by a "track car". Clearly any SS 1LE, ZL1 etc is an uber track car right out of the box except for simple fluids. From the OP i get a sense that perhaps there is an expectation that a Camaro NEEDS to be modded to be a track capable package. As we know, this is NOT the case. So perhaps a bit more clarity is needed to answer his question properly?

Not knowing what he is after exactly id say this:

Stock SS: very capable, but has its limitations over the next choice: smaller brakes, no ELSD, no PTM, no MRC, average seats, etc.
Stock SS 1LE: a true track car, superbly bamanced and fast out of the box (yet very DD friendly at the same time)
Stock SS 1LE plus a set of 19 rims and G3Rs: immediate and substantial gain in pace still with full warranty.
That plus any power mods: even more pace but no warranty. A better choice might be heading straight for a ZL1 or ZL1 1LE. Imo.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:35 PM   #26
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
No the SS adds those over the LT1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy_tim View Post
Both have coolers, 1le are larger though
WRONG they have EXACTLY the same coolers. So do the ZL1 and ZLE except for the added supercharger heat exchanger, intercoolers, and the drivers side aux rad is an aux supercharger heat exchanger on the ZL1s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
1LE is a track car. With a 5 yr warranty. With no need to "build" anything, other than stickier tires if you want more pace. Period, full stop.

To build out an SS into a similar performance envelope will likley cost you the same, if not more than getting a 1LE.

If you want a "race car" pick a lighter platform, like a C5 and go nuts from there. Money much better spent imo.
YES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
YES

Quote:
I think you are being ultra conservative with 90% considering this package

Having thought of the OP a bit longer, i am not sure what he means by a "track car". Clearly any SS 1LE, ZL1 etc is an uber track car right out of the box except for simple fluids. From the OP i get a sense that perhaps there is an expectation that a Camaro NEEDS to be modded to be a track capable package. As we know, this is NOT the case. So perhaps a bit more clarity is needed to answer his question properly?

Not knowing what he is after exactly id say this:

Stock SS: very capable, but has its limitations over the next choice: smaller brakes, no ELSD, no PTM, no MRC, average seats, etc.
Stock SS 1LE: a true track car, superbly bamanced and fast out of the box (yet very DD friendly at the same time)
Stock SS 1LE plus a set of 19 rims and G3Rs: immediate and substantial gain in pace still with full warranty.
That plus any power mods: even more pace but no warranty. A better choice might be heading straight for a ZL1 or ZL1 1LE. Imo.
YES
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:41 PM   #27
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
No the SS adds those over the LT1.

WRONG they have EXACTLY the same coolers. So do the ZL1 and ZLE except for the added supercharger heat exchanger, intercoolers, and the drivers side aux rad is an aux supercharger heat exchanger on the ZL1s.
Thanks for the correction. For some reason I thought the 1le had X% better cooling over the standard SS.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:41 AM   #28
D K

I can see how my post can be ambiguous...

Basically, Im looking for a car that is comparable to the street class in Global Time Attack.
Ideally a 4 seater car.
My las car can be found on the gta home page here: https://globaltimeattack.com/news/
It was an frs and we did reasonably well, but not a car I would want to build again.

Im looking for a car that has the potential to do a 2:20 at Cota on R comps and 2:15 on slicks.
Car needs to be fast enough to make things interesting.
I also have a C5 that im building for Spec Corvette, for cheap wheel to wheel racing, so this car would be strictly for time trials, maybe some driver coaching etc.

Im considering the C7 also, but the cost of entry is really high and even looking at the 6gen Mustang also.

Quote:

Having thought of the OP a bit longer, i am not sure what he means by a "track car".

So perhaps a bit more clarity is needed to answer his question properly?