Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 02-13-2021, 06:50 PM   #225
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
I hated not hearing a LSx/LTx startup after a few months.

A Pcar just can’t replace those noises for me.

Good Luck
Old 02-13-2021, 07:09 PM   #226
Eazy_Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
That's stupid. If money is no object, why would you have to choose?

They are different animals and they are both beautiful in their own ways.

Sent from toaster or something
Because money always an object. For example someone may have 100 000 dollars for a vehicle therfore would have to choose if zl1 and gt4 were both potential options. 100 000 can't buy you both of the vehicles.

-2020 Ducati Panigale V4R
-2019 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
-2020 Ferrari F8 Tributo
-2020 McLaren Senna
-2020 Nissan GT-R NISMO
-2019 Corvette Zr1
-2019 Porsche 911 RSR
-2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon
-2018 MINI John Cooper Works Buggy
-1992 Ferrari F40 Competizione
-1985 Audi Sport Quattro S1
-1974 Porsche 911 Turbo 3.0
-1970 Dodge Charger R/T
-1967 Mini Cooper S Rally
-1964 Aston Martin DB5
-1960 Ford Mustang GT
Eazy_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 08:06 PM   #227
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy_Z View Post
Because money always an object. For example someone may have 100 000 dollars for a vehicle therfore would have to choose if zl1 and gt4 were both potential options. 100 000 can't buy you both of the vehicles.
I was kidding, haha. Guess I interpretated your reply a bit differently.

Still, I wouldn't necessary pick GT4 over the ZL1. I kind of appreciate the extra torque the V8s have. Easy to drive daily.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:46 PM   #228
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post

Good Luck
I will be the opposite.

The LS/LT motors sounds great when timing isn't pulled, but here in CA, we only get 91 octane and unless you are mixing with 100 race fuel, the conservative timing parameters makes the exhaust sound like shit sometimes. These cars are tuned for 93 octane from the factory.

You can hear when it does it too. The exhaust note takes on a muffled sound and doesn't sound as clean and sharp. It is even more apparent when you have an exhaust system on like I do.

I had the same issues with my C5 and C6 Z06's as well. It really does suck.

I am not a fan of GM's conservative timing mapping.

The GT4 on the other hand, sounds amazing, especially past 4K even with the stock system. No, it is not as loud, but I love the tonality much more and it is consistent.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:22 PM   #229
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I will be the opposite.

The LS/LT motors sounds great when timing isn't pulled, but here in CA, we only get 91 octane and unless you are mixing with 100 race fuel, the conservative timing parameters makes the exhaust sound like shit sometimes. These cars are tuned for 93 octane from the factory.

You can hear when it does it too. The exhaust note takes on a muffled sound and doesn't sound as clean and sharp. It is even more apparent when you have an exhaust system on like I do.

The GT4 on the other hand, sounds amazing, especially past 4K even with the stock system. No, it is not as loud, but I love the tonality much more and it is consistent.
I know it's a bit controversial, but have you tried octane boosters mixed into 91? They do help with timing and knock elimination.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 11:33 PM   #230
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I know it's a bit controversial, but have you tried octane boosters mixed into 91? They do help with timing and knock elimination.
But then you would have to use it in every tank, and Cali gas price is already as high as they are.

It is more economically sensible to buy some 100 octane gas and mix it in every tank. Luckily I have 94 octane around my area, so I don't need to do that myself. I am wondering if some octane booster could help maintain the power on hotter days at a track, though.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:29 PM   #231
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I have just accepted it. It won't matter for much longer, my GT4 order will be going in soon. Hoping for a late summer delivery.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 02-15-2021, 05:42 PM   #232
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
I will be the opposite.

The GT4 is almost certainly tuned/optimized for 93 octane and will adjust spark timing for lower octane levels. Can’t say you will “hear” this happening, but likely some level of reduced performance vs 93 octane.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:12 AM   #233
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
I test drove the previous Cayman S (6 cylinders) with the PDK, and wasn't impressed at all.
Not enough power or engine/exhaust sound for me.
Probably a ME with 8 cylinders. That would be a better choice for me.
Same here on the older flat 6. The 4.0 even in my GTS 6 MT is a different animal altogether.

But, obviously the C8 Vette isn't bad and a cheaper option for the V8 route.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:14 AM   #234
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post

Good Luck
This can't be replaced and I do miss it to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I was kidding, haha. Guess I interpretated your reply a bit differently.

Still, I wouldn't necessary pick GT4 over the ZL1. I kind of appreciate the extra torque the V8s have. Easy to drive daily.

There is plenty of torque in these for DD, the much lower weight of the car helps make more use of it. Even in my often talked about "too long geared" 6MT, I have no complaints compared to my previous ZLE. The ZLE was obviously faster everywhere, but this has more then enough for DD duty.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:02 PM   #235
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
This can't be replaced and I do miss it to.

There is plenty of torque in these for DD, the much lower weight of the car helps make more use of it. Even in my often talked about "too long geared" 6MT, I have no complaints compared to my previous ZLE. The ZLE was obviously faster everywhere, but this has more then enough for DD duty.
I test drove the PDK version last week. The PDK combined with the light weight makes for a very quick car.

The GT4 has less drivetrain loss and is under rated from Porsche.

It it quicker than my SS 1LE, not hugely, but noticeable. The numbers do not tell the whole story. The PDK GT4 does NOT feel anemic in DD, it has plenty of TQ for its weight.

I am ready to place my order, just waiting for allocations.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 02-25-2021, 03:54 PM   #236
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
GT4 is a tremendous proposition for someone who wants a lightweight back road carver and track use. Apples and Oranges to a Camaro.

The GT4 is a hard pass for me personally (at this season of my life) as I have 2 young kids and love the idea of being able to cart them around in my ZLE occasionally. The ZLE spends more time on the road and works with my schedule. I also like the thought of not being precious with the car.

With a GT4 (or any other 2 seater) - your schedule/life has to work around the car unfortunately.

@ TRZ06 - You will immediately love the GT4. Weight is everything! Porsche quality is next level stuff.

I just wish you would go for the Manual. Based on the latest TST video - the PDK really doesn't lower the ratios enough to warrant it. That being said - to each his/her own.

As a former 2 time M3 owner - the ZLE is the finest M car BMW never makes anymore.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:19 PM   #237
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
GT4 is a tremendous proposition for someone who wants a lightweight back road carver and track use. Apples and Oranges to a Camaro.

The GT4 is a hard pass for me personally (at this season of my life) as I have 2 young kids and love the idea of being able to cart them around in my ZLE occasionally. The ZLE spends more time on the road and works with my schedule. I also like the thought of not being precious with the car.

With a GT4 (or any other 2 seater) - your schedule/life has to work around the car unfortunately.

@ TRZ06 - You will immediately love the GT4. Weight is everything! Porsche quality is next level stuff.

I just wish you would go for the Manual. Based on the latest TST video - the PDK really doesn't lower the ratios enough to warrant it. That being said - to each his/her own.

As a former 2 time M3 owner - the ZLE is the finest M car BMW never makes anymore.
I agree with you on the M3, that even applies to the SS 1LE, which is everything the M3 should have been, but wasn't.

In regards to the PDK, that is just my jam. I love the well engineered instantaneous up and down shifts that a dual clutch provides. It is the ONLY thing I miss about my M3.

I love me a good manual, however I am at a point in my life where I am over the antiquated motion of shifting myself. Besides, you can manually shift a PDK using the paddles or the gear selector, just without the 3rd pedal.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 05-08-2021, 05:48 PM   #238
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
Quote:
I agree with you on the M3, that even applies to the SS 1LE, which is everything the M3 should have been, but wasn't.

In regards to the PDK, that is just my jam. I love the well engineered instantaneous up and down shifts that a dual clutch provides. It is the ONLY thing I miss about my M3.

I love me a good manual, however I am at a point in my life where I am over the antiquated motion of shifting myself. Besides, you can manually shift a PDK using the paddles or the gear selector, just without the 3rd pedal.
reviving this thread because i used the *drumroll* feature! haha.

Did you put your GT4 order in yet? Can you post a link to your build code?

Now I'll just go on a long monologue about some of my random considerations and experiences and why i'm torn between keeping the SS1LE or getting a 718GT4, 992 GT3 or C8 Z06.

I've been through a number of cars and found that i really enjoy cars that offer some drama. F80 and 718S boxster were really good cars but lacked some drama, largely from softer steering/shifting inputs and exhaust notes. When motor trend came out with the Camaro vs M3 test i went and got an SS, then SS1LE, bounced around some (Audi S3, M6 gran coupe, 718S boxster) and then came back to an SS1LE because i just LOVE the exhaust bark and the playful nature. it's easy and predictable to kick the back end out when I want to have some fun but also very progressive at the limits while on track while being pretty darn quick -- even in my hands.

My dream has always been to get a GT3 or GT3RS. I got a call today about a 992 GT3 allocation. "Hey! How does $50k sound" as in $50k over MSRP. I respectfully declined and said my line in the sand was $10k over and call me back if they get there. The GT3 will be just too good for me to pass up. However ..... i've decided that i need to drive the 718 GT4 at PECATL to get a good feel for it. I'm HOPING the car feels lively and exciting enough to get me excited. I would LOVE to spend $100k less than a GT3 and still get the razor sharp handling they're known for. I'm just a little nervous that the perfect handling may come across as less playful and could cause me to lose interest. For that reason, the manual would be a must. It just keeps me more engaged. The PDK is better on track (no money shifts, perfect shifts every time, maximize performance, sweet sounding upshifts) but the manual to me is just a way to entertain me between track days. The complaints of the long gears on the GT4 don't really make much sense to me because the SS1LE also has pretty long gears (like 78mph ish in 2nd gear? pretty similar to the GT4 i believe, close enough to be a non-issue). Transmission choice is not much of a debate and i'm glad there are choices for different preferences.

I'm thinking long and hard about what i want to trade my SS1LE in for... or even if maybe i should keep it which would be hard due to space and convincing my wife that it's a good idea.

This brings me back to my main considerations right now are: 992 GT3 (cost of a GT4 and new M3 combind? hard to fathom it's worth quite that much), 718 GT4 which isn't perfect but a great handling car and very beautiful, or C8 Z06 which will be a performance monster but still has many unknowns.... all great options but again ... i still wonder if i'll miss the playfulness of the SS1LE. I think only time (and test drives) will tell.

look forward to seeing what your build looks like and what your impressions are... keep up posted and don't totally jump ship for rennlist!