#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 11-30-2020, 10:35 AM   #15
Clam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTXracer View Post
Having come from many years of running STU in an STI (typically outrunning CAMS), I don't see the Camaro being competitive unless you can get the weight to 3400 or less and use all of the tire allowance. In that case, CAMC would be easier to do than the much more restrictive STU rules. Tire:weight being most important, but power:weight coming in somewhat closely behind. Big factor being weight. Adding tire width is a good step, but removing weight from the car in an STU legal manner will not be easy. Also, will 315's on 11"+ wheels really fit up front without modifying the fenders?
I agree that weight is the biggest factor in being competitive in STU. Also, rotis was able to fit 315’s on 18x11 up front on SS stock fenders with MCS shocks that provided more inboard clearance.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...10&postcount=2
Clam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:21 AM   #16
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clam View Post
I agree that weight is the biggest factor in being competitive in STU. Also, rotis was able to fit 315’s on 18x11 up front on SS stock fenders with MCS shocks that provided more inboard clearance.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...10&postcount=2
oh trust me we have been chatting. that said if its not stu competitive, camC is right there.
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:14 PM   #17
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
I think CAMC PAX is a bit soft, most likely because it is not a jacket class. If it was a Jacket class I'm sure there would be more involvement from the jacket hunters. Maybe I'll ask Tom Berry to drive my car this weekend and see how it does against our other top drivers in the region.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:57 PM   #18
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
The CAMC index is *very* soft if you consider what is possible in the CAM rules. It's less soft if you consider the typical CAM build, which is a few hundred pounds overweight and probably not running 315 square Yoks on 12" wheels.
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:43 PM   #19
apexit53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis View Post
The CAMC index is *very* soft if you consider what is possible in the CAM rules. It's less soft if you consider the typical CAM build, which is a few hundred pounds overweight and probably not running 315 square Yoks on 12" wheels.
weren't the yoke excluded from this class?
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 11-30-2020, 07:08 PM   #20
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
They aren't on the excluded list now. The Kumho V720 ACR still is. And the Cup tires listed are below 200tw anyways.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:40 AM   #21
apexit53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
They aren't on the excluded list now. The Kumho V720 ACR still is. And the Cup tires listed are below 200tw anyways.
ahh ok cause yeah I thought they were at one point.
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 12-16-2020, 03:19 AM   #22
tramontana

Drives: GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
It is. I've never understood it in regards to CAM-C. CAM-T? Sure, I get it. CAM-S has a PAX that I would say makes sense. CAM-C should really be somewhere around 0.830.
Interesting you think that about CAM-C. CAM-S minimum weight is 2900 lbs vs 3300 lbs for CAM-C. And CAM-S cars are two seaters, sports cars which have lower center of gravity plus better weight distribution. If CAM-C pax was 0.830, that would be not even 0.2 sec difference from CAM-S on 60 sec course.
I would agree on CAM-T that it is soft. With minimum weight of 3000 lbs, that should be closer to STU.
STU is probably just right IMO. They are lightweight, or AWD, or mid engine. If 315 tires are allowed, I bet 0.828 pax won’t last long...
BS makes sense for modern cars that are well designed and fast out of the box.
I would be curious to hear more opinions on subject of CAM-C vs STU pax if anyone cares to comment and provide some reasoning based on tires, weight, power and allowed suspension mods.
tramontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:19 PM   #23
Rhobz

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Hi Apexit,

I am doing my first ever autocross day this coming Sunday at PPIR in CO with RMSolo.org (SCCA). I have a 2018 1SS 1LE, virtually stock. I have a lot of learning to do but was wondering what drive mode you think I should run my first session in to start my learning curve baseline?

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks.
Rhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:57 PM   #24
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhobz View Post
Hi Apexit,

I am doing my first ever autocross day this coming Sunday at PPIR in CO with RMSolo.org (SCCA). I have a 2018 1SS 1LE, virtually stock. I have a lot of learning to do but was wondering what drive mode you think I should run my first session in to start my learning curve baseline?

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks.
IMO... Track mode with all nannies off / sus on sport.

I've considered doing some of the winter autoX events but our SC3 tires are horrible if it's <60F. With a high of 45 you'll need a few runs with minimal time in between to even have a hope of your car handling normally, and it'll never get close to it's full potential. To help compensate I'd try running a few psi less in rear vs front. Maybe try 35 psi front / 31-32 psi rear.

The car's handling is going to be REALLY off and totally sketchy at 45F on your 1st run, and if you go 1st it may be more like 35F, which is really below what the tires are designed for... the car is gonna plow like crazy... be careful and don't hit any walls!
Old 01-18-2021, 03:17 PM   #25
Rhobz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
IMO... Track mode with all nannies off / sus on sport.

I've considered doing some of the winter autoX events but our SC3 tires are horrible if it's <60F. With a high of 45 you'll need a few runs with minimal time in between to even have a hope of your car handling normally, and it'll never get close to it's full potential. To help compensate I'd try running a few psi less in rear vs front. Maybe try 35 psi front / 31-32 psi rear.

The car's handling is going to be REALLY off and totally sketchy at 45F on your 1st run, and if you go 1st it may be more like 35F, which is really below what the tires are designed for... the car is gonna plow like crazy... be careful and don't hit any walls!
I really appreciate the input Dave. I was originally just planning to go and spectate so I can learn how the event works since I have never been to an autocross event. Then I got convinced to register to drive instead since the winter series is mostly non-competitive and it would be a good time to learn.

I am honestly still contemplating whether I will drive or not for all of the reasons you mentioned.

Thanks again!
Old 01-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #26
apexit53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhobz View Post
Hi Apexit,

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks.
Personally i run sport throttle track suspension. My exhaust is always in track mode lol.

Reasons, track throttle is way too touchy for autocross. 80% throttle feels like 100% and that becomes an issue when braking. Sport mode is a lot more linier of a pedal feel.
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 01-18-2021, 03:41 PM   #27
Rhobz

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
Personally i run sport throttle track suspension. My exhaust is always in track mode lol.

Reasons, track throttle is way too touchy for autocross. 80% throttle feels like 100% and that becomes an issue when braking. Sport mode is a lot more linier of a pedal feel.
Thank you very much. Looks like I have some food for thought and will be testing different modes.

I appreciate the input.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:39 PM   #28
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post

I think you have that backward. Track throttle is much more linear, it's Sport and Tour that are touchy...

I also get better results with sport sus, track may bet better for smooth surfaces but for PPIR I think sport will work better.

I also leave my exhaust on track setting all the time, lol...