Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-04-2021, 08:40 AM   #15
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
If you want a Dodge go get it is my advice. They are awesome cars especially the Challenger. ��
Don't say Dodge . I don't think I would mind a Charger, but I'm not a fan of Dodge in general... I try to overlook the fact of it being a "Dodge" Charger.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:42 AM   #16
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future1LEa10 View Post
I've owned two 17 challenger SCATs and a 17 Charger 392 Daytona. If you are looking for 90% the performance of the SS but with way more livable space inside, this is the right car.

The infotainment is 10x better in the challenger/charger. The ZF8 speed trans is crispier too. Much tighter shifts when in sport/track mode. They are fantastic cars out of the box.

Now with that being said, they are dead ends to mod. The ECM is encrypted and needs to be swapped with a hardware hacked one if you even want a tune. Tunes with the ECM are like $1500 for maybe 30hp. And all other mods are corvette level taxed/expensive.

On top of that, the engine internals are glass. You are very limited on boost/hp if you want to put on a blower. 600hp MAYBE - borrowed time.

So to put it nicely, these are great cars if all you want to do is drive them and have something quick. If you are a car guy and want to mod, then you will need deep pockets to get a 392 over that 600hp hump safely. Which begs the question that all scat owners who want more power ask. WHY DIDN'T I JUST GET A HELLCAT.

Think about that question good and hard. Especially when you can lease them for pennies on the dollar. Challengers especially and chargers almost as good. A hellcat lease would be the same money wise as a straight up buy for a 392.

My advice would be to lease (or buy if you can afford) a hellcat. But if you are ok with the stock power-level and do not plan to mod, then get the 392. Out of the box, dodge did them all correct with the chassis and powertrain they have. Great cars.

PS I wouldnt buy another one./

If the Hellcat was a reasonable choice, there would be no debate. I would probably swap into a Hellcat immediately vs keeping the SS. At one time, yes, the Hellcat's were able to be leased very well. That is not the case anymore. The money factor (lease interest rate) is horrible on Charger's in general.. you would have to get some SERIOUS money off to even begin to make sense of the deal. It is typically better to finance and sell after 2/3 years vs leasing, as they tend to hold they value well.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:43 AM   #17
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Well that’s the manufacturer name!
Old 05-04-2021, 08:47 AM   #18
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IneedAZ View Post
I have a 2018 Daytona 392 as my DD. I have had it 3 years now, but I have grown tired of it. It takes up a lot of room in the garage due to its length of 200". It weighs a lot and you can feel it. I will say it is comfortable and has a good sound system if you get the Harmon Kardon. Begining of March i decided to trade it in. I wanted a car that was at least a foot shorter, 4000lbs or less, AWD this time, and yet has same or better performance as the 392 and settled on my first BMW. I ordered a M340i with Xdrive. Wasn't my first choice of car, but wife insisted i get another 4dr car. I also looked at the Audi RS3 but didn't want to wait til 2022 to get one. Then looked at the Cadi Blackwing but no AWD, and looked at Tesla model 3p. Quickest of the bunch but dont like the body gaps on the Tesla. Avg person probably dont care but a car guy as i am it would bother me.
If I were to get one, I think my timeline would be 2-3 of ownership anyway. I just don't keep cars all that long, especially if it costs next to nothing to swap into something different. I do believe that the 2021 392 are faster and lighter than the previous years. I do get what you're saying though, the Charger is certainly ALOT of car.. especially compared to the Camaro.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:47 AM   #19
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Well that’s the manufacturer name!
Not if I put bowties on it!
Old 05-04-2021, 08:53 AM   #20
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
I have a small sedan that I drive to work/during the winter. That still doesn't eliminate the fact that money is being dumped in something that is parked (in the grand scheme of things).
Yep, I hear ya... For me.. that's why they are toys. Toys are not daily use things. My Camaro sees maybe 3k miles/year. My Harley sees maybe 2k miles a year. 4 wheeler and snowmobile up north rarely get used. they are all their when I want to use them though. That for me is just part of life. I work for a reason and if I was putting practical thoughts to all of them, I wouldn't own any of them. I have guns I haven't shot in 3+ years...
jamala00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:57 AM   #21
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
Yep, I hear ya... For me.. that's why they are toys. Toys are not daily use things. My Camaro sees maybe 3k miles/year. My Harley sees maybe 2k miles a year. 4 wheeler and snowmobile up north rarely get used. they are all their when I want to use them though. That for me is just part of life. I work for a reason and if I was putting practical thoughts to all of them, I wouldn't own any of them. I have guns I haven't shot in 3+ years...
That is very true, and actually an excellent point. I was just discussing last night that my SS would turn into "my second bike" once the baby arrives. .. in the sense that it would be as much of a garage ornament as a driver. That is also all the car has ever known, at the same time. I think it was originally delivered in late '16 (model year '17) and it just ran over 14k miles.

A part of me also says, maybe it is a "better" investment to have something that is not subject to the everyday wear & tear..
Old 05-04-2021, 09:01 AM   #22
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
That is very true, and actually an excellent point. I was just discussing last night that my SS would turn into "my second bike" once the baby arrives. .. in the sense that it would be as much of a garage ornament as a driver. That is also all the car has ever known, at the same time. I think it was originally delivered in late '16 (model year '17) and it just ran over 14k miles.

A part of me also says, maybe it is a "better" investment to have something that is not subject to the everyday wear & tear..
Yep, you are right on point... My Camaro and Harley... If I ever did sell them will be in excellent shape when that happens. The Harley forum rips people for owning a bike and not spending your life on it riding 25k miles/year. That stuff rolls off my back. Everyone's situation is different. Sometimes I just go out the the garage and sit and admire both the Camaro and my CVO Street Glide. I don't need to be driving/riding them constantly to enjoy them. I'm older, my kid is grown up and moved out and has his own family. My situation isn't the same as someone starting a family. I'm sure you will make the right choice for you. Hey, if you are going to sell the Camaro, you are doing it at the right time!

When I do have those "practical" thoughts... My wife puts me in my place very quickly and tells me I am NOT selling anything...
jamala00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:01 AM   #23
Future1LEa10
Banned

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
If the Hellcat was a reasonable choice, there would be no debate. I would probably swap into a Hellcat immediately vs keeping the SS. At one time, yes, the Hellcat's were able to be leased very well. That is not the case anymore. The money factor (lease interest rate) is horrible on Charger's in general.. you would have to get some SERIOUS money off to even begin to make sense of the deal. It is typically better to finance and sell after 2/3 years vs leasing, as they tend to hold they value well.
I dont know man. They are still very strong to lease. This is with no discount and $3k down.
Attached Images

Future1LEa10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:07 AM   #24
zaimer

Quote:
I dont know man. They are still very strong to lease. This is with no discount and $3k down.
Yeah, that is a base model cat which is nearly impossible to find unless it is ordered. That doesn't include taxes & fees.. also good luck finding a dealer that is willing to play ball without marking up the money factor, etc. I've looked into it several times previously.. but I will go another round.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:12 AM   #25
Future1LEa10
Banned

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Yeah, that is a base model cat which is nearly impossible to find unless it is ordered. That doesn't include taxes & fees.. also good luck finding a dealer that is willing to play ball without marking up the money factor, etc. I've looked into it several times previously.. but I will go another round.
There are no tax on that number and also no discount. So it cancels it out for the most part. Hey Im just saying, I have several years experience as a car guy owner of the 392s. Just letting you know that you will eventually get to the same conclusion as we all do. Dont mod them or trade out for a hellcat. Goodluck to you.
Future1LEa10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:12 AM   #26
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Some dealers are not honoring Affiliate pricing.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:25 AM   #27
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
Not if I put bowties on it!
Now that would be sacrilege!
Old 05-04-2021, 09:25 AM   #28
zaimer

Quote:
There are no tax on that number and also no discount. So it cancels it out for the most part. Hey Im just saying, I have several years experience as a car guy owner of the 392s. Just letting you know that you will eventually get to the same conclusion as we all do. Dont mod them or trade out for a hellcat. Goodluck to you.
No doubt, I would love a Hellcat. I'll have to see if I can make something work..