Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Photos | Videos | Renderings

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-01-2021, 12:26 AM   #1
thamunkee

Drives: 2017 ZL1 BLK
New to me 2017 ZL1

Just picked this up on Monday 04/26/21 and I am so glad I did. Last year in May I wrecked my RGM 2020 2SS Camaro. It had been almost 11 months since the last time I drove a Camaro or any fast car. I am so happy it that has now came to an end.

A little back story here if you like to read.

I ended up using my truck (luckily I have an old 1996 K1500) to get around for about 4-5 months then it started having problems. Turns out the motor is seizing 255k miles and rear main is leaking badly (no wonder) needs to be replaced/rebuilt. Option 1 spend 3k or more on the replace/rebuild or option 2 find a cheap car for 3k-5k maybe less if something worth while is available. I didn't look very long at the cheap car option to many, what if's and unknowns. Also I couldn't really get more than about 1k together at that time so I financed an Altima. It was a V6 2017 had low miles and was in really good almost like new condition I thought I could grow up and drive an "adult" car. I quickly realized this was not the life for me. The boring and mundane reality of the day to day was just pushed in more and more every day. When TX froze over the darn thing couldn't drive in the snow any better than the Camaro ever did I was fed up. So the search continued in earnest to find a new Camaro and get my old truck fixed.

I thought the day had come about a month or so ago. I found a 2021 2SS RBM 1LE, I used to own a 2018 1SS SIM 1LE. So I went to the dealer and took a look. Started the paperwork without even driving the car. I know bad idea however it turned out that the banks that the dealer used didn't want to give me the loan without a significant down payment since I had a bunch of negative equity from the Altima. They did not want to budge on the price they would give me for my Altima, or the new Camaro to try and get the bank to approve the loan with only a 1k down payment.

I was shattered now I felt as though I had settled. I bought a car I was only loosing money on and not enjoying any moment in the car other than the soft plushy ride.

So now what do I do, everyday I would look at the Camaro's in the USA and dream about getting one of them whenever it is I could finally get a bank to give me a loan....Finally the idea came to me why haven't I talked to my own bank to get a loan, I have been there over 15 years surely that means something. Filed for an auto loan with the bank, low and behold I was approved for a decent loan at a much better rate than even my 2020 was. Now I had a bargaining chip, back to the hunt for a car. My only worry was how much more do I need down along with the negative from the Altima to still get something new so I looked used. That was a great idea I found this car a supercharged Camaro listed only $46k and about 35 miles away on Saturday the 24th and thought well it has some problems I am sure. However at that price how much does it matter 4 years old, 55k miles who knows what life it lived etc. I have only owned NA cars up to this point and a supercharged Camaro for less than the 2021 I just tried to buy I have to check this out.

I took the afternoon off on Monday 26th to go see it and maybe test drive it if the car looked as good in person as the pics. As we left the sales guy said he had to talk management into letting me test drive it since it was a "ZL1" said I had to baby it leaving the lot, "ok no problem". Not sure if he was blowing smoke or honest but either way I am glad I went for the test drive. We got up to the freeway and I only goosed it a little bit to merge onto the freeway and maybe once when we were coming back. Oh man I can not believe this car drives as well as it does with the amount of power it has. Of course I went back with the sales guy and figured out a deal with them to get this car. Ended up with a 3 year 36k mile warranty also and I am paying about as much as I was for my 2020.

I thought this car would be a beast and hard to drive. Found out it only is if you want it to be. Which is such a great thing Chevy has done, when adding this much power but still being able to put it down is crazy. The way this car can drive, even in the rain this last week has been amazing it was composed and drove on rails, unless you tried to ask for to much boost. I am really glad there are new NT55's on the car it makes for good traction wet and dry.

Now for the sad part, on Wednesday 28th there was a hail storm and well I do not have a garage (photos make it obvious). I have been looking to get a carport but 3k or more for a good one and the car has been here less than a week. Needless to say the car does not look quite as wonderful as it does in these photo's.

Sometimes that is just the way life gives and takes not sure I can say it any other way. Thanks for reading if you made it this far. I will post pics once I can get her cleaned to show all the hail dings from the storm.

Lets keep Camaro's going Chevrolet stopped production for now and I still don't see them starting it back soon, lets show them they are wrong to do so. Everyone go buy a Camaro for yourself or your loved one figure out a way to do it even if you don't think you can you will be glad you did.
Attached Images

thamunkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 12:41 AM   #2
Camaro fanboy

Drives: 2017 2SS Arctic blue fully loaded
Beautiful ZL1.
great story aswell enjoyed reading it.
i second that about folk buying camaro's imho they are the best you can get. looks, the way they drive, everything is nigh on perfect with our cars.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:10 AM   #3
Infamus

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Sexy lady...

Great read and congrats!
Infamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:30 AM   #4
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Gorgeous car, glad you were able to get back into one.

Too bad on the hail, I feel you there. I lost more than one car to hail when I lived in Alberta. It’s tough to take. Good luck with the repairs.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:27 AM   #5
iredlere

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT Coupe
It's a beauty!
iredlere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 05:41 PM   #6
thamunkee

Drives: 2017 ZL1 BLK
some updated photos

Here are some updated photos of the car and after the hail was fixed I think plus some ones I adjusted using the Prisma app.
Attached Images

thamunkee is offline   Reply With Quote