Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 07-14-2021, 11:08 AM   #1
miles12tw

Drives: 2019 LT Camaro
Check air filter light on after cai install?

Can anybody give me a reason why my air filter light comes on I have a cai on my 19 lt Camaro I got a cai muffler delete and x pipe exhaust seems to be flowing good besides the 3rd gear cruising in manual or automatic it makes this clanking noise like something is being twisted so I have to drive manual to shift out that gear and have been wondering why, but my main post is about my cai I had one since January it’s been running good parts of the hose and couplers broke so I bought extras from autozone that fit just fine and it’s been running smooth since but recently I had a light about it and wondering what to do thank you!
miles12tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:18 AM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
check engine light or air filter?
Old 07-14-2021, 11:20 AM   #3
miles12tw

Check engine air filter system
Old 07-14-2021, 11:27 AM   #4
miles12tw

Even so bro when I drive and cruise I like to stay between 1500 to 2500 rpm and sometimes the car shoots up to 3000 to 3500 rpm which is kinda scaring me because I didn’t smash my foot on the pedal
Old 07-14-2021, 11:37 AM   #5
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Did this start happening after you replaced the hose and couplers?
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:10 PM   #6
miles12tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
Did this start happening after you replaced the hose and couplers?
It was after but it happened just last week when I noticed the car was a little different. The check air filter signal came on today so maybe something on right I’m not sure though I do pop the hood and make sure everything is in place and bolted the way it needs to I’m no mechanic just using what I know and overall the car runs great its just has some hiccups and I’m trying be cool on how I drive
Old 07-14-2021, 12:49 PM   #7
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles12tw View Post
It was after but it happened just last week when I noticed the car was a little different. The check air filter signal came on today so maybe something on right I’m not sure though I do pop the hood and make sure everything is in place and bolted the way it needs to I’m no mechanic just using what I know and overall the car runs great its just has some hiccups and I’m trying be cool on how I drive
If it were me I'd go back through and make sure things are tight and right one more time, check MAF sensor, etc...You could also try disconnecting the battery for a bit as well. Also over oiling the filter (if you have this type) can cause issues. Just some thoughts. It's really hard to say without seeing something in person, but it's always best to eliminate easy/stupid things first and go from there
Old 07-14-2021, 02:16 PM   #8
miles12tw

Thanks man going to look into that!
Old 07-14-2021, 03:40 PM   #9
HCI2000SS

Hope you can figure it out. Let us know how it goes
Old 07-14-2021, 03:47 PM   #10
302Blue

Drives: 2017 Camaro V6 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by miles12tw View Post
Idk which CAI you installed, but as an fyi from installing my GM one - some can require a re-flash after install or else you get the light and the car runs real rough. GM even warns of this and includes a custom coupon tied to your VIN that you have to bring to the dealer for a free re-flash. It's not like an entire tune for the ECM, but the MAF & MAP air-flow system is remapped to account for a non-standard air intake system (like an aftermarket CAI).

Without that, and especially with other mods like the exhaust and deletes, you could be running into tuning issues. The same random revving that you have is like what I had on the drive down to the dealership to get it flashed. It's not too healthy for the engine to drive constantly with that behavior & code because it's either running too lean or too rich, but it won't cause any major issues for awhile.

This could also be not that at all; the clunk you mentioned wouldn't be caused by anything I mentioned. At the very least you should just take it to an auto-parts store soon to any codes read so you have a better idea of what's going on. The things you're experiencing are a too bit generic to diagnose from a forum post, and either way you're going to need to get some info read off the ODBII port if you want to implement a fix to get it running right again.

Proof I'm a nerd and way too curious about things I don't fully understand (mute videos if you watch bc dumb music playing):
-Readings on drive over to the dealership
-Readings on drive back from the dealership

Short-Term Fuel Trim will fluctuate -10% to +10% in a normally running engine, but Long-Term Fuel Trim should be as close to 0% as possible (anything below 10% or so is alright). Although the Short-Term Fuel Trim levels are pretty similar, Long-Term Fuel Trim was stuck at 30%-40% before getting the engine flashed. The engine was running way too rich trying to account for air flow that, with the factory tuning, it thinks means something is broken. After the flash it immediately drops to the 10% and below level; light goes away and car runs normal ever since.

Last edited by 302Blue; 07-14-2021 at 07:25 PM.
302Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:41 PM   #11
Wipeyourself

Drives: 2019 2LT RS V6 A8
Start here
Attached Images

Wipeyourself is offline   Reply With Quote