Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-30-2021, 07:15 PM   #1
SSallday

Drives: ‘18 ZL1 / ‘22 ZLE
New Tires Leaking Air

I bought a new set of ZLE rims, tires and TPMS sensors. Had my detailer mount and balance them, but the tires keep losing air. The tires were very low when I got home so I filed them up to 34psi. After two hours, they already dropped down to 33psi. What could possibly be leaking if everything is new?
SSallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:37 PM   #2
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
It's possible that they installed them wrong. Mine were like that, the valve was installed weird and was leaking.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:41 PM   #3
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Spray them with a soapy/water mixture. It could be the valve cores not tightened/torqued, the TPMS stems missing a gasket/seal, or TPMS nut not completely tightened/torqued, the tire bead not sealing to the rim (unlikely being new wheels and tires), but being low profile the installer could of torn the tire(s) trying to mount them? Also there should not be any leakage coming from around any clip weights seeing it should of been balanced with tape-weights both inner and outer. Whip up some soapy spray and see what you find...
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:55 AM   #4
SSallday

I sprayed them with soapy water but didn’t see anything obvious. It’s definitely a slow leak because each tire dropped 2 psi overnight. Gonna see if the installer can fix the issue. I’ll let you guys know what the issue is
Old 05-01-2021, 11:59 AM   #5
i007spectre

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2008 HHR ECTO-2H
Last time I had tires put on I had the same issue. Turns out a bristle from the bush they use was stuck in the bead.
3000 - 9/30
3100 - 10/27
3300 - 10/28
3400 - 10/29 TPW 11/09
3800 - 11/10
4300 - 11/24
4B00 - 11/25
4200 - 12/5
5000 - 12/7
6000 - 12/11
i007spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 01:06 PM   #6
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Its entirely normal if you saw a 1lb drop after having driven it home and time for the tires to have cooled, 2 hrs, dropping pressure.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:00 PM   #7
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
I had an issue where the surface machining wasn't compatible with the TPMS sensors I bought. Had to get new sensors with a different seal design that fixed the issue. Mine were aftermarket forged wheels and OE sensors that didn't work. Had to get generic sensors that sealed properly.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:19 PM   #8
SSallday

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
Its entirely normal if you saw a 1lb drop after having driven it home and time for the tires to have cooled, 2 hrs, dropping pressure.
I could understand if the tire was warm but it lost pressure just sitting in the garage overnight. The tire was cold when I filled it. One of the tires lost 15psi from the time it was balanced to now, which was a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
I had an issue where the surface machining wasn't compatible with the TPMS sensors I bought. Had to get new sensors with a different seal design that fixed the issue. Mine were aftermarket forged wheels and OE sensors that didn't work. Had to get generic sensors that sealed properly.
This situation has me stumped. Everything is new and oem. My detailer pulled a wheel off and sprayed the entire thing with soap. We didn’t see any bubbles and they sprayed it multiple times. They filled the tires with nitrogen.........so far so good. Hopefully they hold
Old 05-01-2021, 05:33 PM   #9
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Ok you didnt say 15lbs in a week
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:12 PM   #10
SSallday

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
Ok you didnt say 15lbs in a week
I probably mentioned it in the other thread and forgot to on this one. My detailer filled the tires up to 32psi last week. When I took the car home a couple of days ago, it was driving weird. I checked the tire pressure about 5 hours after I got home. The tires in the rear were sitting at 15psi & 25psi. The fronts were 21psi & 30psi.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:59 PM   #11
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
I’m not a tire expert in any way, but if you have the same problem happening on multiple tires, then the tire itself isn’t like to be the cause, so keep that in mind as you’re going down the troubleshooting tree 🙂

Good luck!

Geoff
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:01 PM   #12
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
Re-reading first post, since everything is new then yeah maybe an incorrect install or an incompatible TPMS sensor, as has been suggested.

Geoff
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:17 PM   #13
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSallday View Post
filled the tires up to 32psi last week. When I took the car home a couple of days ago, it was driving weird. I checked the tire pressure about 5 hours after I got home. The tires in the rear were sitting at 15psi & 25psi. The fronts were 21psi & 30psi.
No question the 15 psi tire has a leak.
I would start by making sure you have an accurate tire gauge. Amazon has good digital ones for less than $10.
Fill all the tires to same pressure (32 sounds low to me, but probably ok).
You should not be losing more than 3 psi overnight on any tire unless there is a severe temperature drop.

If you have a suspect tire, I would remove it and overinflate to like 40 psi. Then hit it with the soapy water. I use dish soap mixed in spray bottle. More soap than you would need to clean dishes. Maybe a tablespoon per 8 ounces. When searching for a leak, you have to make sure the soap gets to the flat surfaces of the tire. It tends to roll off, and then it will not bubble. This is partially why a "thicker" soapy mixture is better. The mixture they use in a tire shop adds glycerine, which is the same stuff added to kids' bubble-making fluid. Bigger leaks can quickly pop bubbles made from a too thin mixture.

The bit about the car driving weird and the tire pressure dropping so much makes me think they did not seat the beads completely when mounting your tires.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:36 PM   #14
SSallday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jofu View Post
Re-reading first post, since everything is new then yeah maybe an incorrect install or an incompatible TPMS sensor, as has been suggested.

Geoff
The TPMS sensors should be fine. I got the oem sensors because the aftermarket sensors are not reliable. Maybe it didn’t seal properly
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
No question the 15 psi tire has a leak.
I would start by making sure you have an accurate tire gauge. Amazon has good digital ones for less than $10.
Fill all the tires to same pressure (32 sounds low to me, but probably ok).
You should not be losing more than 3 psi overnight on any tire unless there is a severe temperature drop.

If you have a suspect tire, I would remove it and overinflate to like 40 psi. Then hit it with the soapy water. I use dish soap mixed in spray bottle. More soap than you would need to clean dishes. Maybe a tablespoon per 8 ounces. When searching for a leak, you have to make sure the soap gets to the flat surfaces of the tire. It tends to roll off, and then it will not bubble. This is partially why a "thicker" soapy mixture is better. The mixture they use in a tire shop adds glycerine, which is the same stuff added to kids' bubble-making fluid. Bigger leaks can quickly pop bubbles made from a too thin mixture.

The bit about the car driving weird and the tire pressure dropping so much makes me think they did not seat the beads completely when mounting your tires
My detailer pulled off the 15 psi tire. He inflated the tire to 48psi and sprayed the entire wheel with a soapy solution. He placed the wheel on the ground so the soap wouldn’t drip off but we still couldn’t find any bubbles. We decided to fill the tires with Nitrogen (32psi) and so far they are holding the pressure. I have two gauges and both are reading between 31 and 32. Maybe the beads didn’t seal properly. I guess the gap is big enough for air to leak out but not Nitrogen