Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 06-29-2023, 09:54 AM   #1
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Question Lifting one side of car with floor jack?

Picked up a 2023 SS 1LE a few weeks ago and just did a 500 mile oil change and plan to do the rear diff today or tomorrow. After doing a lot of reading on this site I purchased a set of ZL1 Addons lift pads and their lift puck also. Worked great for lifting the car and placing the front on jack stands.

But I do have a concern/worry. I had to lift the front about a 13'' off the ground to get my jack stands underneath. I noticed the rear tire lifted also. I know these 6th Gen Camaros are super stiff, but is it really ok to lift the entire side of the car like this? I was honestly worried about tweaking or bending something as I was doing it. It must put a lot of stress on the body lifting the entire side from one point, no? Anybody ever have a problem lifting the car like this?
MT-SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 10:43 AM   #2
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Yes it's fine. When I use jack stands ill use the front jack point to get the entire side up, slide jacks underneath then go to the other side and do the same.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 12:06 PM   #3
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Car is designed to lift one entire side on the jack point, it is absolutely ok! Miatas do the same thing
Attached Images

Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 12:44 PM   #4
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I agree, it's fine following the jack pads and/or pucks.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 01:43 PM   #5
MT-SS1LE

Thanks guys, I appreciate the reassurance!

I actually have two low profile jacks and could lift both sides simultaneously if their was any possibility of damage using only one. But it would be more work, glad to hear it's not necessary.
Old 06-29-2023, 02:05 PM   #6
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
I do the same all the time - use front rearward most jack point to lift front and rear tire clear off the ground, makes for quick tire change.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 11:09 AM   #7
Shock and Steel

Drives: 2023 Camaro Convertible 2LT
That "middle" lift point (closer to the center of the car) is non-existent on the convertibles, because it is used for the extra cross-brace (added to convertibles for rigidity I believe). I have a 4-ton jack with plenty of stands, and I'm still looking for a way to use the jack and stands to quickly get one side of the car up. Not having that 3rd middle lift point makes it seem more tricky to me.

ZL-Addons recommends using 2 jacks, but I don't want to buy a second jack.

Anyone have advice of where to lift first, where to add a stand, and where to lift second to pull up the whole side? I have the ZL-Addons lift pads (for convertible) installed.
Shock and Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 01:13 AM   #8
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Let me add one cautionary note…

Do not combine ZL1 Jack pads and hockey pucks. Adding additional items between the car and jack increases the possibility of sliding off. This is especially true the higher you raise the car. Be careful and only lift as high as you need.
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 03:10 AM   #9
Uk2019
UK2019

Drives: Camaro 2017 2ss/eu spec convertible
Convertible lifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock and Steel View Post
That "middle" lift point (closer to the center of the car) is non-existent on the convertibles, because it is used for the extra cross-brace (added to convertibles for rigidity I believe). I have a 4-ton jack with plenty of stands, and I'm still looking for a way to use the jack and stands to quickly get one side of the car up. Not having that 3rd middle lift point makes it seem more tricky to me.

ZL-Addons recommends using 2 jacks, but I don't want to buy a second jack.

Anyone have advice of where to lift first, where to add a stand, and where to lift second to pull up the whole side? I have the ZL-Addons lift pads (for convertible) installed.

You can lift the car using the extra bracing. The black painted tubular bracing where it's bolted to the pinch weld is more than strong enough for this. I lift my convertible at this point and then put stands under the front and rear most points where I have the bolt on lift pads. Have been doing this for a few years now and no deformation or any other change to the chassis brace
Uk2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 06:59 AM   #10
Shock and Steel

Drives: 2023 Camaro Convertible 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk2019 View Post
You can lift the car using the extra bracing. The black painted tubular bracing where it's bolted to the pinch weld is more than strong enough for this. I lift my convertible at this point and then put stands under the front and rear most points where I have the bolt on lift pads. Have been doing this for a few years now and no deformation or any other change to the chassis brace

I understand exactly what you're describing... but I think I should get different stands if I want to use them with my ZL-Addon Lift points. I could either use those hard rubber flat-top adapters that sit on the top of traditional jack stand contact points, or just get new stands that have flat tops. What stands do you use?
Shock and Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 08:36 AM   #11
Uk2019
UK2019

Drives: Camaro 2017 2ss/eu spec convertible
Quote:
I understand exactly what you're describing... but I think I should get different stands if I want to use them with my ZL-Addon Lift points. I could either use those hard rubber flat-top adapters that sit on the top of traditional jack stand contact points, or just get new stands that have flat tops. What stands do you use?
I have a couple of types but for the camaro with the bolt on metal lift pads I use those with a "vee" top as they're the most secure to stop the pads slipping sideways off the top of the stands. Even if the pads don't make full contact with the jack stand top (i.e just the metal corners of the billet jack pads) I've found this to be the most stable setup.
Uk2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 10:16 AM   #12
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Quote:
These flat-top stands have worked great with the ZL1Addons lift blocks:

https://esco.net/product/3-ton-perfo...ck-stand-pair/
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 10:55 AM   #13
MT-SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
These flat-top stands have worked great with the ZL1Addons lift blocks:

https://esco.net/product/3-ton-perfo...ck-stand-pair/

I ordered a set of these exact jack stands a few days ago. I have the normal height Esco jack stands, and even on their lowest setting they are higher than needed for an oil change, brake work, etc. I'll feel better about not having to raise the car as high, even if it doesn't hurt anything.
Old 07-02-2023, 09:24 AM   #14
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
I have two jacks, one on each side.

alternately pump each jack until desired height

EZ and safe
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote