Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-18-2021, 12:16 PM   #127
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4iu View Post
Indiana Jones, right?
The Ark of the Covenant- you are correct sir!

BTW the Royal Purple gear oil shifts like butta.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:43 PM   #128
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
BTW - Tremec mentioned that they do not require the 8oz drain out procedure if you use their fluid. That is for the expansion properties of ATF.

The Tremec fluid is almost clear. And it doesn't smell horrible like ATF.
Tremec must have changed their tune regarding using their fluid in the TR-6060. When I emailed them a year or so back, they recommended the oem ATF over the Tremec fluid.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:26 PM   #129
Drizzt ss

Drives: 2017 NGM 1SS MRC NPP
Can anyone help me out here? Which is it? I took a pick of the black bottle a while ago, is it still the same recommendation from GM? I want to put what’s recommended while still under warranty. And thanks for all the info! I’m going to attempt this in my driveway on stands, that should be interesting haha
Attached Images

Last edited by Drizzt ss; 03-25-2021 at 03:36 PM.
Drizzt ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 01:18 PM   #130
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt ss View Post
Can anyone help me out here? Which is it? I took a pick of the black bottle a while ago, is it still the same recommendation from GM? I want to put what’s recommended while still under warranty. And thanks for all the info! I’m going to attempt this in my driveway on stands, that should be interesting haha
88861800 is what the 2016/2017 owners manual states and what the 2016/2017 service manual states as the correct OEM transmission fluid for the TR6060 manual transmission.

--KLG--
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:45 PM   #131
SHE'Z 18

Drives: 18 ZL1 - M6
Hey All,
I don't mean to beat this to death. But, can someone clarify / verify the required amount of fluid needed to do this flush and refill? The reason I ask is because the OP states in the (awesome) instructions that you'll need 3.65 qts. However, JCunningham (post 117) stated that it takes 5.2 Qts. I just want to make sure that I'm not missing something..

also, are you suppose to fill it, start / drive the car, then go back and check the fluid to see if any/some was consumed through the nooks/crannies?

Thanks everyone!!
SHE'Z 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:37 PM   #132
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHE'Z 18 View Post
Hey All,
I don't mean to beat this to death. But, can someone clarify / verify the required amount of fluid needed to do this flush and refill? The reason I ask is because the OP states in the (awesome) instructions that you'll need 3.65 qts. However, JCunningham (post 117) stated that it takes 5.2 Qts. I just want to make sure that I'm not missing something..

also, are you suppose to fill it, start / drive the car, then go back and check the fluid to see if any/some was consumed through the nooks/crannies?

Thanks everyone!!

If you want to drain and fill, that's ~4qts.

If you want to FLUSH (drain/fill/drain/fill) in order to get the most fluid exchanged (out of the cooler and lines), then you need more.

The fill and drive is for the diff. You don't use that technique for the Transmission.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:36 AM   #133
SHE'Z 18

Drives: 18 ZL1 - M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
If you want to drain and fill, that's ~4qts.

If you want to FLUSH (drain/fill/drain/fill) in order to get the most fluid exchanged (out of the cooler and lines), then you need more.

The fill and drive is for the diff. You don't use that technique for the Transmission.
Thanks Matthew!!! And to all the others for great instruction, tips and tricks.
I'm now looking forward to getting this completed.

SHE'Z 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 02:26 PM   #134
atx_traveler

Drives: blue velvet
Just did a transmission fluid change with Redline D4. Feels great again. I last changed it 10k miles ago, also with Redline D4. I'm curious if this will stay feeling good longer, as more of the original fluid is changed out.
atx_traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 10:00 PM   #135
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
pump into it until it leaks out, start car for 2 mins(?), suck 8 oz out, tighten plugs
or
pump into it until it leaks out, suck 8 oz out, tighten plugs

?
havelegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 10:28 AM   #136
PowerDemon

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Golf GTI
What does everyone use to pump their fluid into the trans? I found a gereric hand pump on Amazon for the diff fluid but it would not screw onto the ACDelco quart bottle. Does anyone have a link to one that will fit?

Also is this the correct ACDelco fluid for the trans in a ‘22 6MT ZL1? The only reason I’m confused is because of the “H” designation. My manual just states Dexron III.

Also how many of you drained the trans from the back drain vs the temp sensor? Thanks all.
Old 02-19-2024, 04:14 PM   #137
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
This is what I use, it’s a lifesaver:

https://a.co/d/bVf1xca
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 11:38 AM   #138
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
I'm having myM6 fluid changed today. What is the reason for the level to be 1/8 below rather than at the bottom of the fill hole?
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 10:48 PM   #139
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx9rmal View Post
I'm having myM6 fluid changed today. What is the reason for the level to be 1/8 below rather than at the bottom of the fill hole?
The fluid expands when hot and will get ejected via a vent at the top of the trans. In my experience this only happens with track use. Once enough fluid (a teaspoon here and there) is expelled it stops.

So if you fill to the fill hole, let it completely stop dripping before you put the fill plug back in. After that you *may* see some small puddling of trans fluid until it burps out the surplus, which is harmless. This only if you get the fluid really hot. Hot = 180-200F.

IMO the 1/8" below the fill hole is to prevent the dealer visit if some spirited driving is done and the owner happens to notice a small drip under the car.