Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-14-2019, 09:44 PM   #1
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
So freaking happy !!

I just took delivery of my new 2018 hyper blue 2ss 1le, even though it was dark I still took the wife out for a ride in it. I’m a little rusty driving a stick, so I gotta get smoother , that clutch is gonna be my challenge for the next few weeks.
Bur, what a car !! I will post pictures tomorrow and will take advice on getting smoother shifting from a standstill and in general

Thank you and happy to have joined the 1le club!!
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:13 PM   #2
Dmac2018

Drives: 2018 camaro 2SS 1LE
Congratulations on your new ride. This car is amazing. I have had mine now for 7 months and I still have issues with that clutch once in awhile. You just need some seat time. Enjoy and be safe out there.
Dmac2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:33 AM   #3
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
The clutch was driving me crazy also, after 4K miles I was still having occasional inconsistent starts and wearing boots was out of the question. On a recommendation, I installed a ported throttle body and its been a pleasure to drive since regardless of footwear. I used this one although I'm sure others would work, I can't speak for any additional horsepower but it sure has increased the drivability of the car. https://www.mamomotorsports.com/gall...LT1-p123710963
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:57 AM   #4
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
around 4k miles mine definitely got easier to drive. i think it’s the drive by wire bs more so than the clutch. in track mode i had no issues taking off. it is one of the easiest cars to drive that i’ve ever owned. rowing gears sounds amazing and is so easy. no more t56 and or junk gm hydraulic issues.
s346k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #5
madscotsman

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Congrats. It's gonna probably take a little while to get over the stupid skip shift feature as well. Initially I was ready to snap the stick off in anger. Had a few moments pulling out to the middle of a divided highway in traffic where it almost killed me because I couldn't get it to let me into 2nd and 3rd wouldn't have allowed me the acceleration I needed to get ahead of the oncoming traffic. Just gotta ride the gears out a little longer than I was used to.
madscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:10 AM   #6
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
I think my issue with the clutch is the small engagement window of the twin disc. I've found I have to slip the clutch more than I'm normally use to in a single disc. My clutch engagement muscle memory has me letting the pedal out a little too quick causing the car to stall once in a while.
If I'm slower on clutch release, letting it slip just a little bit everything it fine.

First week or so I felt like a total noob, revving the engine while letting the clutch out trying to find that engagement point.

On the first test drive I just got out of my C6 M6 from a two hour drive to the dealer and stalled the 1LE.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:37 AM   #7
Reddy1LE

Drives: 1SS 1LE
I stalled this car 3 times. I had stick cars since I started driving... Clutch gets some getting use to. Once you do get use to it though its butter.
What this car really needs is a notification eliminator. There's a wi-fi notification. Bluetooth notification. Parking brake disabled notification. Always some annoying notification popping up. - Navigator post
Reddy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #8
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior102 View Post
The clutch was driving me crazy also, after 4K miles I was still having occasional inconsistent starts and wearing boots was out of the question. On a recommendation, I installed a ported throttle body and its been a pleasure to drive since regardless of footwear. I used this one although I'm sure others would work, I can't speak for any additional horsepower but it sure has increased the drivability of the car. https://www.mamomotorsports.com/gall...LT1-p123710963
Do you notice the improvement with the TB installed in all driving modes?
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:07 AM   #9
Jimbeau11

Drives: '18 Black SS 1LE; '01 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post

First week or so I felt like a total noob, revving the engine while letting the clutch out trying to find that engagement point.

On the first test drive I just got out of my C6 M6 from a two hour drive to the dealer and stalled the 1LE.
This is funny! I thought it was just me.

I've been driving a manual trans since I was 14 and currently have a Jeep, Porsche, Corvette and the 1LE with manuals.

I haven't completely stalled it yet, but I have multiple close calls every time I drive it. Once it's rolling everything else about the clutch is perfect.

So for the OP, sounds like you're in good company! Congrats on the new car, you'll love it!
Jimbeau11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:40 AM   #10
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28pat View Post
I just took delivery of my new 2018 hyper blue 2ss 1le, even though it was dark I still took the wife out for a ride in it. I’m a little rusty driving a stick, so I gotta get smoother , that clutch is gonna be my challenge for the next few weeks.
Bur, what a car !! I will post pictures tomorrow and will take advice on getting smoother shifting from a standstill and in general

Thank you and happy to have joined the 1le club!!
In 16 years of driving, I have never owned a single automatic car. My advice to you is to work on feeling the engagement point so it becomes intuitive to find on any car you drive. I recommend sitting in the car, 1st gear in, and gradually letting out the clutch until it starts pulling forward. From there, keep releasing gradually until the pedal is completely out and the car is moving forward on idle. Focus on feeling when the engagement happens. Do that a few times without stalling, and then integrate the gas pedal slowly. After doing this a lot, I've gotten to the point where I can get into any car with a manual trans and have zero issues.
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:45 AM   #11
thrashergrant

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
I think my issue with the clutch is the small engagement window of the twin disc. I've found I have to slip the clutch more than I'm normally use to in a single disc. My clutch engagement muscle memory has me letting the pedal out a little too quick causing the car to stall once in a while.
If I'm slower on clutch release, letting it slip just a little bit everything it fine.

Same here. Definitely scratched my head for a while trying to figure this one out. I found the same results as you, though: Letting the clutch slip more than "usual"(more than I was used to on other cars) leads to smoother starting.
thrashergrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:50 AM   #12
Boost Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbeau11 View Post
This is funny! I thought it was just me.

I've been driving a manual trans since I was 14 and currently have a Jeep, Porsche, Corvette and the 1LE with manuals.

I haven't completely stalled it yet, but I have multiple close calls every time I drive it. Once it's rolling everything else about the clutch is perfect.

So for the OP, sounds like you're in good company! Congrats on the new car, you'll love it!
lol
Yeah, forty years of driving a manual trans and I've stalled the 1LE more than any other car.
It's second nature now but for the first few drives I was relearning clutch release.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:55 AM   #13
Boost Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashergrant View Post
Same here. Definitely scratched my head for a while trying to figure this one out. I found the same results as you, though: Letting the clutch slip more than "usual"(more than I was used to on other cars) leads to smoother starting.
I think with a single disc there a little natural slip as everything tries to come up to speed, but with a twin disc any slip is gone so when you release the clutch it engages with authority.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:21 PM   #14
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
Thank you all for the input , had a brain fart this morning at the light where I juat revved it in neutral instead of pulling away in first and this a$$hole behind me just laid on the horn ! What a tool , I felt like a 16 year old driving my first manual car, mind you I’m 43 so I just laughed and waved.
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote