Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-14-2018, 03:12 PM   #1
Kaludar

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Considering trading my WRX for a 6th Gen.

Hi guys,

First post here, as the title says im considering upgrading from a 2016 WRX to a 6th gen Camaro. My biggest question is in regards to going 1LE vs an SS model, how worth it is that extra $$? I've been dreaming about getting a Camaro almost since the first week I rolled off the lot in my WRX and realized I had made a mistake and what I really wanted was a V8 sports car and not a boosted 4 cyl. So im leaning towards going all the way and going 1LE, but im not sure if its something thats really worth the extra money. I definitely would like to track the car, so maybe its worth it for the better brakes alone?

Second question is about handling, one of the things I really love about my WRX is the handling, the car is not fast by any means, but it is one of the best handling cars I've driven. Infact that is what has pretty much sold me on Camaro over Mustang is that ive been reading that the Camaro is leaps and bounds ahead of the Mustang in this department. Is it comparable to a lighter AWD car like the WRX? Anyone that has driven both, I would love input from you on this please.

Thanks
Kaludar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:24 PM   #2
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
The 1LE is a world-class sports car. You won't be able to mod a regular SS to do the same thing for anywhere near how little extra the 1LE costs. You can find used ones in the low 30K range. Bang for the buck - just can't be beat!
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:44 PM   #3
Godfatha

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic Black Convertible
Go with the 1LE, especially if you're going to track it. It's one of the best handling cars out there, especially for the price. It weighs a lot when compared to the WRX, but handles that way unbelievably well.
Godfatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:11 PM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have a 16 ss and got it before the 1le came out and wish i would have waited lol i have tons of upgrades but just the suspension brakes and seats are worth the extra $$
Old 08-14-2018, 04:14 PM   #5
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
If you are hitting the track, go with the 1le. They can be had in the low 30s now, absolute bargain.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:23 PM   #6
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
We've ran them all. Bang for the $ SS/1LE, no questions asked! One of the best handling and performing cars on the market. The SS/1LE will keep up with and beat cars twice it's price. I don't see you missing your Scooby Doo, ....... well, maybe just in the snow.

Best Regards,
Robert @ JDP Sales
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:30 PM   #7
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
I sold a '15WRX 6M Limited and bought the '16 2SS with MRC and dual mode exhaust. The WRX is a fun and practical car. Real seating for 4 and a real trunk. The fall on its face @4800RPMs standard tune, along with rev hang take a bit of the joy out of the vehicle. If you need to haul people, have need for a bit more foul weather traction or value economy the WRX is a solid value.

The SS is world class sports car. The SS 1LE dials up the track focus. However, the SS has plenty of chops to be tracked regularly. I surely tracked mine fairly often (7-8 times a year).

The WRX is cheaper to own. Better gas mileage, less expensive tires and a marginally better record for dependability. My insurance went down when I switched to the SS (I can't explain that either, it just did).

The LT1 is a great engine. The Alpha platform is truly world class. Add MRC and you have a real bargain (SS or SS 1LE) that will embarrass many cars costing 2-3 times as much.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:43 PM   #8
FL2018-1SS

Drives: 2018 1SS
I'd go 1LE only if tracking the car. Otherwise the SS has more than enough for the street.
FL2018-1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:52 PM   #9
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
If you're planning on tracking it, no question 1LE
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:23 PM   #10
squish72

Drives: 2016 2SS 8AT
I actually have experience in this situation. I traded my 17 wrx for a 16 2SS. I went for a used 2SS over a 1LE because some of the creature comforts (heated wheel/seats, blindspot sensors, Mag ride) I was able to get it for $6000 more then my wrx was worth and the camaro is worth way more to me then that price difference.

As far as handling goes to me the wrx was a little funner in the twistys to me, but hear me out. I feel I was able to push the wrx really hard, where the camaro takes less effort to go the same speed and when you start to push it hard its easy to run out of talent. The camaro is way more car and its easy to go faster then you think you are going.

Also remember you dont have to have the 1LE to have a fun track day.
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:38 PM   #11
Kaludar

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish72 View Post
I actually have experience in this situation. I traded my 17 wrx for a 16 2SS. I went for a used 2SS over a 1LE because some of the creature comforts (heated wheel/seats, blindspot sensors, Mag ride) I was able to get it for $6000 more then my wrx was worth and the camaro is worth way more to me then that price difference.

As far as handling goes to me the wrx was a little funner in the twistys to me, but hear me out. I feel I was able to push the wrx really hard, where the camaro takes less effort to go the same speed and when you start to push it hard its easy to run out of talent. The camaro is way more car and its easy to go faster then you think you are going.

Also remember you dont have to have the 1LE to have a fun track day.

How much were you able to get for your WRX if you don’t mind me asking? I have a ‘16 Premium trim with 15k miles. I’m hoping o can get a good bit for it due to low mileage.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:38 PM   #12
jeep_junkie

Drives: 2000 Trans Am M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
The WRX is cheaper to own. Better gas mileage, less expensive tires and a marginally better record for dependability.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the WRX STi rated for 24mpg highway? I also remember reading something about major reliability woes with these cars. I was seriously considering one until I read about the engine issues they have.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:41 PM   #13
Kaludar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_junkie View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the WRX STi rated for 24mpg highway? I also remember reading something about major reliability woes with these cars. I was seriously considering one until I read about the engine issues they have.
This is true of the Sti, the new WRX has a newer engine the FA20 that has been proven to be pretty reliable. My gas mileage is high teens a lot of times though cause I’m in boost often.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:28 PM   #14
Apex_Missing_Ape

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
I sold my 2016 Focus RS for an SS 1LE. The RS would handle its ass off, but the 1LE is just better it every dimension except maybe straightline speed. My RS was tuned and had a few bolt on that made it about as fast as my new SS 1LE, but I don't care. I bought this car to do tracks days, not drag races.
Apex_Missing_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote