Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics


Tom Henry Chevrolet


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
LiveWire195
 
LiveWire195's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 159
2017 Camaro 1SS - Audio Upgrade (Non-Bose System)

Hi All,

There are tons of threads out for upgrading the audio in the sixth generation Camaro. So I hope to achieve two things with this post, clarity so I can install mine with piece of mind, and hope with the information displayed it will help others easily commit the install worry free. This install the end result is to use the factory lines for the speakers, but add an after market amp to get better sound quality.

___________________________________

Hardware List

Front Speakers:
Focal ISU690 Component Speakers
https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/c...nt-kits/isu690

Rear Speakers
Focal 690AC
https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/c...al-kits/690-ac

Sixth Generation Camaro - Wire harness
******** Custom Harness
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Speaker Wire to RCA
AudioControl LC6i
https://www.audiocontrol.com/car-aud...-upgrade/lc6i/

Digital Converter / Equalizer (Factory Amp Removal)
AudioControl DQDX
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_161DQD...QDX-Black.html

After Market Amp
JBL GTR-104
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109GTR...04.html?tp=115


___________________________________

Installation

I have an idea of what I should be setting up, but I'm hoping that anyone that has done this before can provide some guidance on it.
  • (Diagram 1) First is to get my source input to be fed into to the LC6i (Diagram 3). I plan to only use the rear speaker inputs so the door chimes are not absurdly loud.
  • The RCA outputs will give my source for my after market amp.
  • The speaker wire outputs will be fed into the factory lines to provide the amplified sound using the factory audio lines.
  • (Diagram 2) Last is to remove the plug to the left of the green plug to remove exhaust sounds from being played through the speakers.

Diagram 1


Diagram 2


Diagram 3



___________________________________

Sources

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=459430
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452618
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510907
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489866
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536185

___________________________________


So with the above information, does that make sense of what I'm planning to do for everything to operate correctly?
Answer: This setup will work with the proposed setup. Confirmed with vendors/members

Also regarding the front speakers, there is only four wires only. Does the car have a built in crossover for the tweeters? I'm a little unsure how the car separated the highs vs mids/lows. Any ideas?
Answer: There is a crossover cable in the front of the car that separates the highs/mid-lows in front of the car.

Last edited by LiveWire195; 08-13-2018 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Edit: Updated Questions with Answers
LiveWire195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:48 PM   #2
LiveWire195
 
LiveWire195's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 159
Reserved for Solution
__________________
LiveWire195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:46 AM   #3
StPeteHyper2.0
 
StPeteHyper2.0's Avatar
 
Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 2.0
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: St Pete
Posts: 109
What is the plug to the left of the green plug? I didn't remove mine, I sometimes get the exhaust noise, but if I change the gain or the frequencies it makes it worse or better.. and I'm still working that out. I still utilized my stock amp for now. The settings in the radio control I have turned up the help the 6 original locations even tho I have better speakers capable of more watts. I equalize the added mids and subs thru the LC2i and the amps themselves. I basically have 3 amps and 4 equalizers and messing with the balance can be frustrating but I tweak it a little everyday til I feel it is dialed in. I don't really see any issues with yours as I see you have done pretty much the same research I did. What comes to mind tho is because the cab is small, the subs can get drowned out by the seats and if you don't have a little bass up front, it will be unbalanced. you will hear a lot of tweeter and mid range equally, but all of your bass will come from behind. It's the reason I didn't do components up front and went with a tweeter that has a small crossover attached and coaxials in the doors and rear panels. (again.. kept stock amp). The coaxials I got have some nice bass output and still maintains and good midrange. They help equalize the bass front to back. It's good you post this to have a few more different options available.
StPeteHyper2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:32 PM   #4
LiveWire195
 
LiveWire195's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPeteHyper2.0 View Post
What is the plug to the left of the green plug? I didn't remove mine, I sometimes get the exhaust noise, but if I change the gain or the frequencies it makes it worse or better..
The left plug of the green one is exhaust sounds through the speakers. I seen a few threads that indicate this. I also know it is not mission critical as well, as this post describes.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489866


Quote:
Originally Posted by StPeteHyper2.0 View Post
I equalize the added mids and subs thru the LC2i and the amps themselves. I basically have 3 amps and 4 equalizers and messing with the balance can be frustrating but I tweak it a little everyday til I feel it is dialed in. I don't really see any issues with yours as I see you have done pretty much the same research I did. What comes to mind tho is because the cab is small, the subs can get drowned out by the seats and if you don't have a little bass up front, it will be unbalanced
The sub is on the mind, but right now I want to get speakers to sound just right before introducing it. I think for my inputs I can potentially on Diagram 1 can use the wires on the right for inputs as the AudioControl will accept those as inputs and everything else should just work. Ultimately if I can remove the stock amp, and use just the AudioControl and the aftermarket Amp, that's my ideal situation.


Quote:
Originally Posted by StPeteHyper2.0 View Post
It's good you post this to have a few more different options available.
Yeah essentially my install I'm just looking to get a little more bang out of the system without changing the headunit. Many threads and comments all over the place. Be nice to have one thread to consolidate them all so that anyone can pick the setup they are planning for and just follow the steps and get what they want without going nuts to figure out the proper setup.
__________________
LiveWire195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
StPeteHyper2.0
 
StPeteHyper2.0's Avatar
 
Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 2.0
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: St Pete
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveWire195 View Post
The left plug of the green one is exhaust sounds through the speakers. I seen a few threads that indicate this. I also know it is not mission critical as well, as this post describes.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489866


The sub is on the mind, but right now I want to get speakers to sound just right before introducing it. I think for my inputs I can potentially on Diagram 1 can use the wires on the right for inputs as the AudioControl will accept those as inputs and everything else should just work. Ultimately if I can remove the stock amp, and use just the AudioControl and the aftermarket Amp, that's my ideal situation.




Yeah essentially my install I'm just looking to get a little more bang out of the system without changing the headunit. Many threads and comments all over the place. Be nice to have one thread to consolidate them all so that anyone can pick the setup they are planning for and just follow the steps and get what they want without going nuts to figure out the proper setup.
I'll pull that plug and see what difference it makes with my setup. thanks
It's easy to pull the rca cable from the amp to cut the speak off to be able to dial in the other speakers, then plug it back in to check how it all sounds together. my opinion, best to get it all in then play with it later
StPeteHyper2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:46 PM   #6
LiveWire195
 
LiveWire195's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPeteHyper2.0 View Post
It's the reason I didn't do components up front and went with a tweeter that has a small crossover attached and coaxials in the doors and rear panels.
So this answers my second question, that basically if I just install the tweeters they will have the crossover installed already, so its officially plug and play when I put the new ones in.

So essentially my install should be straight forward then, and I just need to lock in an amp at this point...
__________________
LiveWire195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #7
StPeteHyper2.0
 
StPeteHyper2.0's Avatar
 
Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 2.0
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: St Pete
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveWire195 View Post
So this answers my second question, that basically if I just install the tweeters they will have the crossover installed already, so its officially plug and play when I put the new ones in.

So essentially my install should be straight forward then, and I just need to lock in an amp at this point...
Nice pair of tweeters for straight forward swaps comes with a crossover plugin. They can be used or left aside. If you're doing a component kit, you typically get the crossover for both as what you have. For me, I just swapped the dash speaker for a tweeter. Those are just small speakers, they really are not tweeters and it's where you get a lot of bass distortion when you turn it up. Since I pulled that for an actual tweeter, the crossover is necessary to keep the highs coming thru an no loss or mids.

Set I got looks like this..
.
Attached Images
 
StPeteHyper2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #8
LiveWire195
 
LiveWire195's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPeteHyper2.0 View Post
Nice pair of tweeters for straight forward swaps comes with a crossover plugin. They can be used or left aside. If you're doing a component kit, you typically get the crossover for both as what you have. For me, I just swapped the dash speaker for a tweeter. Those are just small speakers, they really are not tweeters and it's where you get a lot of bass distortion when you turn it up. Since I pulled that for an actual tweeter, the crossover is necessary to keep the highs coming thru an no loss or mids.

Set I got looks like this..
.
So I understand correctly, the crossover cable goes before the tweeters so the mids/highs are cutoff?
__________________
LiveWire195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:25 PM   #9
LiveWire195
 
LiveWire195's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 159
Just updated my hardware list.

I'm going to update the setup and diagrams tonight. I realized with the stock head unit, and new amp. I'm really not able to control everything as I used to be with a aftermarket head unit regarding the sound to be perfect to my liking.

The new setup will involve removing the factory amp, and converting the digital signal to analogue, which will go into the aftermarket amp.
__________________
LiveWire195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:38 PM   #10
LiveWire195
 
LiveWire195's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 159
I'm happy to report that I was able to remove the factory amp, and install everything as I intended from the start.

System working short clip here:
https://youtu.be/lX69HM0nZR0

Excuse the wiring mess, shouldn't have started this after work. I'll be posting a full write up on the original post once I clean it up and can get a few good diagrams written up.
Attached Images
 
__________________
LiveWire195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM   #11
StPeteHyper2.0
 
StPeteHyper2.0's Avatar
 
Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 2.0
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: St Pete
Posts: 109
Nice!!
StPeteHyper2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM   #12
LiveWire195
 
LiveWire195's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 159
I'll update the main post over the weekend with nice diagrams so anyone can read this and run with it. The install is finally done for the amp, and LC6i RCA converter. I opted to not use the EQ as the amp has nice tuning controls.

Cleaned up the wires, and secured everything. My end result
Attached Images
   
__________________
LiveWire195 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Tags
2017 chevy camaro, audio upgrade, non bose

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.