RyanR3KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #2
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
GuitarmageddonZL1 airbag deploy video.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #3
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
It's happened to a couple of camaro6 members. It's ridiculous. Theres videos out there of other 6th gens, 5th gens, even a Cadillac doing this
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #4
RyanR3KC
"1/LE Rebel Alliance"

Drives: 18 Black 1SS 1LE “Siouxsie
I saw the Guitarmeggedon vid.

Isn’t this a very very slim chance of this happening though?
Old 01-19-2019, 05:25 PM   #5
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR3KC View Post
I saw the Guitarmeggedon vid.

Isn’t this a very very slim chance of this happening though?
The problem is that there doesn't seem to be a specific reason they go off. Guitarmaggedon's went off just from a loud exhaust, this guy's went because he was spinning when he hit a little dip in the pavement, two others have gone off when going over rumble strips on track, and I've also seen other Chevy vehicles having theirs go off just hitting a bad pot hole.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:53 PM   #6
RyanR3KC
"1/LE Rebel Alliance"

Drives: 18 Black 1SS 1LE “Siouxsie
I had a friend try to compare the airbags deploying with the engine issues the GT350 has, then sent that Jalopnik article as proof as a significant problem.

My reaction was “these aren’t even comparable”
Old 01-19-2019, 08:45 PM   #7
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
I’ve seen it happen to a 5th gen. Few years ago when we were setting up the camarocross course at camarofest in BG. In a low speed turn popped the air bags. Not sure why they went off car didn’t slide or hit anything.

Ryan B.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:35 PM   #8
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
I’m sorry, but that event at autox doesn’t surprise me much. Aggressive throttle+spin into sideways+ car dips up and down while impacting cones. The car is jostled decently.

Maybe a touch over sensitive cal, but not surprised given the event combo.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:27 AM   #9
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Far too sensitive. Autocrosses are typically very dynamic for forces - an air bag deployment should not happen...makes me think a nano second about not tracking the car...

A good run will put a car in all sorts of odd situations...including slides (only hit cones!).
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:45 AM   #10
Gen_Nick3.8

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE
The airbags didn't deploy making a run to the grocery store. He spun out and at the same time & hit a pretty aggressive pothole (should be a lawsuit whoever hosting the event) People act as if the system has ages to calculate what happened. AB deployments are milliseconds and is either Y/N no in between. I think the system performed exactly how it was intended. I've literally went airbone in my 1LE and slammed my frame coming down getting a slight head injury (6'2) & my airbags didn't deploy.
Gen_Nick3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:40 AM   #11
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
You can see the crack/pothole between and just beyond two pointer cones.

Spin initiated around 60mph.

Car goes into an aggresive (near 1.25g) backwards/sideways spin at 30mph+. Driver does not clutch in (RPM), holds firm brake (brake travel indicator) and does minor coutersteering while this slide is happening and when the car hits the crack/pothole...
Attached Images

Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:26 AM   #12
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
I wouldn't be happy, but watching the PDR footage it's reasonable to expect the side bags to deploy during that event.
Like posted, the car is traveling at +50mph when it goes into a spin and loses speed quickly when contacting the pothole.
The airbag system works off inertia switches, when more than one sensor signals an event it will deploy the appropriate bags.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:08 PM   #13
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
A great thing about this is that you can see how humans work with their perceptive bias. Owners of the car are less likely to say hey maybe GM should change the rollover algorithm on an advertised track car. Owners that never autocross or track freak out over 1.2g’s like it’s hard to hit. Owners of other makes are sharing similar stories where their airbags didn’t go off.

At the end of the day, I’m not a good track driver (it’s why I took the car to an autocross - to learn)and definitely made a mistake that cost me here. Right or wrong on warranty coverage or not, GM had an opportunity to build goodwill and declined despite the amount of money I’ve spent with them (add a loaded Fifty up with a loaded ZL1 in two years). So at the end of the day, is this likely or common? Maybe not...but does the company care about making it right? Not really in my opinion.

It should also help show you how far GM is willing to go to make things right on an advertised track car. Stock engine blows? Sure.... airbags deploy? You’re on your own, just like other members on this forum that have had these curtain airbags deploy on them. Everyone is very quick to justify it happening...let’s hope it doesn’t happen to you, you may perceive things a little differently.

I’m not a good track driver but have done far worse in other makes without this happening. Could be luck or with the history that’s developing with these deployments...there could be more to it. You decide next time you strap on your helmet.

Last edited by F1FTY; 01-27-2019 at 07:25 AM.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:02 PM   #14
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
And considering autocross is about the safest auto competitive event (and possibly the most intense IMO)...majority of the sites I've run on are not billiard board smooth. Old runways are the standard or aged parking lots that haven't been maintained in years (since the store/facility closed down allowing the use of that parking lot).

Even well maintained tarmac for aircraft and hovercraft contain expansion joints. In autocross instruction we push the students (especially new drivers) to try to spin the car (generally folks are timid) as there is nearly no danger involved.

Worrying about an airbag deploy is one item I didn't think I would have at the back of my head. Hmm...drifting the car and lose vision with a side curtain obstruction is not appealing.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote