Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-07-2018, 01:24 PM   #29
Tyl3r

Drives: Camaro 2LT
And this:

“THE CAR IS SHIPPED WITH "TAKE OFFS" THAT GET SENT BACK TO FACTORY WHEN THE SPECIAL WHEELS ARE INSTALLED. THERE NOT FOR SALE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PRICE OF CAR. IT'S FOR SHIPPING PURPOSES. AND SO THE WHEELS DON’T GET DAMAGED.”
Tyl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:00 PM   #30
Tyl3r

When I challenged the above:

“TYLER. THEY ARE STEEL WHEELS LIKE HUBCAPS. THEY GO BACK TO THE FACTORY. THEY ARE FOR TRANSPORT PURPOSES.”
Old 09-07-2018, 03:35 PM   #31
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyl3r View Post
I was very professional in my email to the dealer. See the response I received below:
“THE SEND FACTORY TAKE OFFS THAT GO BACK TO FACOTORY. NOT 20 INCH WHEELS. ”

Can anybody confirm with 100% certainanty that they do not send factory takeoffs back?
I have never heard - nor experienced - anything other than what you have reported here.

Only if the dealer decides to change the stock alloy wheels after the car is delivered and replaces them with accessory wheels - not as part of a dealer-installed accessory listed on the original sticker - would you have anything to talk to him about. If he swaps them after receiving the car and notes the price difference on an accessory sticker, he is entitled to keep the original ones that came with the car because he already paid for them when he paid for the car (and before it was sold to a customer). He also can resell them as used or "new-car takeoffs," but he cannot sell them to someone as new.

I don't know what your mission is here, but I'd suggest you move on if the mission is a set of free wheels. In either case, you have no claim to either the temporary factory shipping wheels or the original alloys because you purchased the car with the redlines. Again, a copy of the build sheet, which you could have had by now, would tell you for sure how the car was built.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:16 PM   #32
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
in my 3 years of being here I have never heard, nor seen, a set of “factory transport wheels” ......any pics of these bigfoot/nessie type wheels?
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:31 PM   #33
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyl3r View Post
And this:

“THE CAR IS SHIPPED WITH "TAKE OFFS" THAT GET SENT BACK TO FACTORY WHEN THE SPECIAL WHEELS ARE INSTALLED. THERE NOT FOR SALE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PRICE OF CAR. IT'S FOR SHIPPING PURPOSES. AND SO THE WHEELS DON’T GET DAMAGED.”

The dealer is flat out lying to you. Only the GM trucks come with shipping wheels when the owner opts for the optional 22" wheels/tires. Then when the truck gets to the dealer they remove the shipping wheels and install the 22" optional wheels and send the shipping wheels back to the plant.

Anyone who said the dealer keeps the wheels is flat out wrong when it comes to LPO wheels on the 6th gen Camaro. If the car came with the standard wheel and the optional full wheel package was ordered as well then the owner gets both sets of wheels.

1st Example - Car came with silver painted 5 spoke wheels and customer ordered the black painted 5 spoke wheels for $500 more and the wheel is changed at the plant. In this case you only get 1 set of wheels as you are only paying for the color change on the wheel.

2nd example - Car came with the standard 18"/20" silver wheel, customer opts for the factory forged black 20" wheels and tires for $3k or more. In this case the customer gets the original wheels and the optional LPO wheels.

Same goes for those who wanted the optional red front 6 piston ZL1/1LE brakes and rotors. The customer pays $3k extra for those brakes, the dealer removes the standard 4 piston front Brembo caliper/rotors and installs the 6 piston caliper/rotors. The customer also gets the original 4 piston caliper/rotor parts as well.

Personally if it was me I would go down to the dealership in person, have the owner/GM/Sales manager in a meeting and let them know they are wrong as the 6th Camaro does not ship with shipping wheels and that you are owed a second set of wheels/tires/TPMS sensors. If they buck open the case with GM right there in front of them and then also call your state consumer affairs division and get them involved.

I can bet you that with in 2 weeks the dealer will be calling you to say they have your exact stock set of wheels/tires/TPMS on hand and ready for you to pick up.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD

Last edited by TJay74; 09-07-2018 at 06:16 PM.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:32 PM   #34
BRMike

Drives: 2017 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
in my 3 years of being here I have never heard, nor seen, a set of “factory transport wheels” ......any pics of these bigfoot/nessie type wheels?
I have only seen these on some Silverado's and Tahoe's. Never on a Camaro.
2018 Kenetic Blue Metallic Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab (8A)
BRMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:36 PM   #35
Tyl3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
The dealer is flat out lying to you. Only the GM trucks come with shipping wheels when the owner opts for the optional 22" wheels/tires. Then when the truck get to the dealer they remove the shipping wheels and install the 22" optional wheels and send the shipping wheels back to the plant.

Anyone who said the deal keeps the wheels is flat out wrong when it comes to LPO wheels on the 6th gen Camaro. If the car came with the standard wheel and the optional full wheel package was ordered as well then the owner gets both sets of wheels.

1st Example - car came with silver painted 5 spoke wheels and customer ordered the black painted 5 spoke wheels for $500 more. In this case you only get 1 set of wheels are you are only paying for the color change on the wheel.

2nd example - Car is to come with the 18"/20" silver wheel, customer opts for the factory forged black 20" wheels and tires for $3k or more. In this case the customer gets the original wheels and the optional LPO wheels.

Same goes for those who wanted the optional red front 6 piston ZL1/1LE brakes and rotors. The customer pays $3k extra for those brakes, the dealer removes the standard 4 piston front Brembo caliper/rotors and installs the 6 piston caliper/rotors. The customer also get the original 4 piston caliper/rotor parts as well.

Personally if it was me I would go down to the dealership in person, have the owner/GM/Sales manager in a meeting and let them know they are wrong as the 6th Camaro does not ship with shipping wheels and that you are owed a second set of wheels/tires/TPMS sensors. If they buck open the case with GM right there in front of them and then also call your state consumer affairs division and get them involved.

I can bet you that with in 2 weeks the dealer will be calling you to say they have your exact stock set of wheels/tires/TPMS on hand and ready for you to pick up.
I want to thank you for providing actual insight. I like the idea of contacting consumer affairs. The dealer incriminated himself with these emails, further helping my case. I greatly appreciate you taking time out of your day to help me.

And to the people saying I should drop it, why? I can use those wheels for a winter setup, etc. Also, the dealer received FULL MSRP for the car after rebates.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #36
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
I think TJay74 is correct and that's exactly what I recalled, but it would be good to have indisputable documentation from GM on exactly what the rules are with the optional wheels. If you meet the dealer to discuss this further, bringing up a forum post as evidence might not help even if it is correct.

Also, for what it's worth, I took a plant tour of the Lansing Grand River plant where the 6th gen Camaro and Cadillac ATS are made, and I do recall seeing an ATS that had "red spray painted" wheels on it. I asked about this and was told that those were temporary wheels for shipping and that the optional wheels for that car would be installed at the dealer. Not sure that ever applies to Camaro's, but it appears that at least on the ATS some cars are getting shipped with these temporary wheels that are to come back to the plant. I just wanted to point out that it's not only trucks where this happens.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:18 PM   #37
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
It wouldnt be hard to email Al with the Camaro engineering team and ask him. I would bet he is 100% knowledgeable of how the 6th gen Camaro is manufactured and leaves the plant since they tour the plant frequently.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:49 PM   #38
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
they do this all the time the dealer might not have yours but they may have another set they can give you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
It wouldnt be hard to email Al with the Camaro engineering team and ask him. I would bet he is 100% knowledgeable of how the 6th gen Camaro is manufactured and leaves the plant since they tour the plant frequently.
I would start with a PM to Becky not Al.

She got me my take-off tires on a Trail Boss Colorado since the off-road tires were dealer installed. The dealer told me the same thing that they had to go back to the factory but that was total BS.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:29 AM   #39
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
I'm still wanting to see the actual window sticker. If it's on the build sticker it was added at the factory and should have been shipped on the 20's. If it's on the window sticker it should confirm that.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:50 AM   #40
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I've read the entire post ,and it's been very interesting. I do know the trucks come with temporary steel wheels when a wheel upgrade is ordered. My buddy just ordered a new Chevy that came with them on it. He wanted to take the truck home the night it came in but it needed the wheels switched over from the temporary ones. I've never seen a Camaro come with those on though. This has been going on since the Gen5 car with dealers trying to rip people off by keeping wheels they already paid for.

OP, did you order this car or buy it off the lot? I missed that part. That would make a difference to me when we are talking after the fact at this point.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:54 AM   #41
Tyl3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
I'm still wanting to see the actual window sticker. If it's on the build sticker it was added at the factory and should have been shipped on the 20's. If it's on the window sticker it should confirm that.
I never received that, although I was told they would order one for me at the time of purchase. Any advice on how to quickly access this?
Old 09-08-2018, 10:58 AM   #42
Tyl3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
OP, did you order this car or buy it off the lot? I missed that part. That would make a difference to me when we are talking after the fact at this point.
Agree with this comment. I purchased the car off the lot. However, I doubt GM would be happy with a dealer using questionable rebates to collect full MSRP on a 2017 vehicle in 2018 just to further make more by keeping the original wheels.

Tags
dealer, installed, rims, tires, wheels