Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-12-2018, 12:27 PM   #15
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Nice system, but overkill. Good for SEMA but that is about it. I listen to the ZL1 when I am driving.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:48 PM   #16
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
Nice system, but overkill. Good for SEMA but that is about it. I listen to the ZL1 when I am driving.
That is music, isn't it?
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:21 PM   #17
unavailablezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
That is music, isn't it?
It sure is. When I want music or loud movie I listen to my home stereo, which no car stereo can touch. Mine sounds better then going to the movies.

Past Rides
Old 03-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #18
JB'sZL1

Quote:
It sure is. When I want music or loud movie I listen to my home stereo, which no car stereo can touch. Mine sounds better then going to the movies.
I was going to state that. I have had a theater for 15 years. And have had serious subs, amps and speakers (home type, not car) for longer than that.

Kudos to those that outfit their cars with uber sound, but it will in no way compare with a good home system. When I'm in my Z I want to drive.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #19
LODuncan

Drives: BMW M3
Love the wrap on the car!
LODuncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:30 PM   #20
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
I was going to state that. I have had a theater for 15 years. And have had serious subs, amps and speakers (home type, not car) for longer than that.

Kudos to those that outfit their cars with uber sound, but it will in no way compare with a good home system. When I'm in my Z I want to drive.
Even with perfect sound deadening (like the OP) no car will ever sound as good as a good home theatre system. But living in LA, the traffic is so bad, it helps having a good SQ setup in the cars as well. My CTS-V has an active 3 way front stage with competition grade drivers, amps and processors, DVD audio, DVD player, carputer (BitplayHD) full digital setup with Dolby 5.1 Surround...

My ZL1 has a nice setup also, (not as nice as the V) with an active 3-way front stage which helps when the top is down. But you're right, both pale in comparison to my home theatre setup.
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:08 AM   #21
JB'sZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
Even with perfect sound deadening (like the OP) no car will ever sound as good as a good home theatre system. But living in LA, the traffic is so bad, it helps having a good SQ setup in the cars as well. My CTS-V has an active 3 way front stage with competition grade drivers, amps and processors, DVD audio, DVD player, carputer (BitplayHD) full digital setup with Dolby 5.1 Surround...

My ZL1 has a nice setup also, (not as nice as the V) with an active 3-way front stage which helps when the top is down. But you're right, both pale in comparison to my home theatre setup.
I feel your pain living in LA.

I've deadened my doors, and will be doing my trunk...then I'm done. Sound (better music sound quality and less road/traffic noise) is already better with just the doors.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:38 AM   #22
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Wow! Love the detail in the build and the thread. I bet it sounds amazing. I love the A-pillar speaker design. Looks great! I would hate to see the coin that took to build.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:12 AM   #23
JB'sZL1

I am more of a purist, except when it comes to my SACD system. I believe less is often more. A well designed 4.1 system can be very pure, particularly when well placed and coupled with ample deadening. Extraneous pillar, center and other speakers are simply redundant, and, can actually be confounding (because one gets the best sound from the main speakers). More surround speakers does not necessarily mean better sound, or more accurate sound. This is a complex thing in a theater. In a tiny auto it is exponentially tougher.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:16 AM   #24
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
I am more of a purist, except when it comes to my SACD system. I believe less is often more. A well designed 4.1 system can be very pure, particularly when well placed and coupled with ample deadening. Extraneous pillar, center and other speakers are simply redundant, and, can actually be confounding (because one gets the best sound from the main speakers). More surround speakers does not necessarily mean better sound, or more accurate sound. This is a complex thing in a theater. In a tiny auto it is exponentially tougher.
I do agree. Some of my best sounding systems were very basic with good speaker placement and good cabin acoustics.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:06 AM   #25
drfeelgood

Quote:
IMO, a 3 way front stage is ideal, at least for me. I like my sound stage a little higher, and it’s hard to get that in a 2 way setup when your mid-bass/mid-range is in the doors. A good midrange/tweeter combo in the A pillar sounds great. I fired my midrange off glass, and created a pillars with on axis tweeters.

I removed the center channel, and it sounds better this way. The V is setup for movies, so the Dolby 5.1 comes in handy for that. But I have four separate settings in the bitone and I don’t run the center channel when listening to music
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

Old 03-14-2018, 07:37 AM   #26
unavailablezl1

You can't get a great division of sound in a car. The right speaker is bouncing off of the left side of the car and visa versa. When you set to the side in the driver's seat, to get really good left and right you have to offset the balance compared to setting in true center between speakers. I have been a high end audiophile most of my life and after a certain amount of speakers and money, you won't tell any difference between spending $8k and $15k on a stereo in a car. Having a DVD in the car is ridiculous, who is watching a movie in a ZL1? No one. If they are, they bought the wrong car.

Past Rides
Old 03-14-2018, 09:35 AM   #27
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
He needed the 750hp upgrade to make the car move after all the weight that was added to the car
Old 03-14-2018, 10:03 AM   #28
drfeelgood

Quote:
You can't get a great division of sound in a car. The right speaker is bouncing off of the left side of the car and visa versa. When you set to the side in the driver's seat, to get really good left and right you have to offset the balance compared to setting in true center between speakers. I have been a high end audiophile most of my life and after a certain amount of speakers and money, you won't tell any difference between spending $8k and $15k on a stereo in a car. Having a DVD in the car is ridiculous, who is watching a movie in a ZL1? No one. If they are, they bought the wrong car.
I once knew someone who claimed to be an audiophile. When I asked him where he purchased his FLAC files to play in his car, he looked at me lost and said he never heard of FLAC, that was the end of the conversation

The ZL1 doesn’t even have a CD player, let alone a DVD player so not sure where you deciphered that. I mentioned that in the CTSV build

The estimated cost for the OP’s system that we mentioned was the customer cost, because most of the cost for a customer will be labor. However, Audiophile/competition grade equipment in a vehicle can still run pretty high (>$15k for equipment alone , especially in a competition vehicle... see any of Scott Bewulda’s builds). If you have to ask, Scott Bewulda holds the highest combination score of any vehicle of any IASCA competition in history. The equipment for that vehicle was over $40k alone

As for sound in a vehicle, as many of us have mentioned, you can only get so much SQ in a vehicle , even with the proper sound deadening. The acoustics in a vehicle are horrible. Even when using a DSP with DTA to center your sound stage on the driver (which I do) it will never be perfect. Most of us try to maximize the possibilities and minimize the imperfections

Tags
audio, matt schaeffer, musaic, system, upgrade