Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 02-02-2018, 05:13 PM   #15
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
The issue at hand here is not even weather or not one intake is better then another its that a year later GM dealerships still don't have a clue about a product that is sold. When I bought mine it took me 8 dealers to find one that was even willing to flash it or take the time to figure it out and they said they wouldnt flash it unless they installed it.. so I was kind stuck at that point already purchased the intake no one knew about the flashing process at that time and GM also didnt include anything about who was to pay for the flash now in the document it states not to charge customer for flash.

They still dont have their heads outta their ass on this basic item and I agree its rediculous..

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #16
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
(Bold) It doesn't. It is simply a tune that goes hand in hand with the intake that will also maintain your warranty. "Required" is subjective at best. The Chevrolet Performance link that lists both the SS and V6 GM intakes doesn't even mention a tune, just as one wasn't sold with the Z/28 intake for the SS before. Looking at the thread here for the intake, it says it comes with a calibration code that a GM dealer needs to flash your car with, but it doesn't say that the tune is needed. If I had to guess, it would be for emissions reasons more than anything else.
And...The GM intake is still not CARB legal. The OEM makes a performance intake that is not available to all of its customers ?

Wish GM would have waited until CARB certification was done for this CAI before having it available to the public.
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:17 PM   #17
Kairles

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Andrew View Post
So all other intakes should be fine then, but what is it that the GM one does so much than the others in order to bring in that much air REQUIRING a tune? That’s good to know though.
Looking at the pics, seems the GM intake uses a bigger tube. When you put a MAF in a bigger tube it skews the reading, thus requiring a tune. Thats why people are getting CEL for running lean. Im sure the "tune" is to fix the MAF scaling.
Kairles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:37 PM   #18
Red Devil's Rebel

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS V6/A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongos2U View Post
And...The GM intake is still not CARB legal. The OEM makes a performance intake that is not available to all of its customers ?

Wish GM would have waited until CARB certification was done for this CAI before having it available to the public.
^^^ This! ^^^
...so frustrating :(
Old 02-02-2018, 09:28 PM   #19
HartfordRacingCaptain

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, 2023 Colorado Z71
Uh, I could be wrong, but I have the CAI and it has the CARB sticker included with it, and also includes instructions for how the dealer should flash it and how to get paid (not by the customer). I dont get where you guys got the idea that its not CARB legal... because it is... The CARB issued Executive Order D-126-43 to certify it.

HartfordRacingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:38 PM   #20
Kairles

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
I haven't seen anything about the V6 intake being CARB legal yet. The V8 intake is CARB legal.

Notice the 2016-12018 V6 Camaro is not listed.
https://arb.parts/Executive-Order/D-126-43
Kairles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:42 PM   #21
HartfordRacingCaptain

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, 2023 Colorado Z71
Ahhhh. My bad! I didnt even notice this was in the V6 section. I agree now lol.

HartfordRacingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:43 PM   #22
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by HartfordRacingCaptain View Post
Ahhhh!! My bad! I didnt even notice this was in the V6 section. I agree now lol.
I did the exact same thing as you.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:38 PM   #23
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairles View Post
Looking at the pics, seems the GM intake uses a bigger tube. When you put a MAF in a bigger tube it skews the reading, thus requiring a tune. Thats why people are getting CEL for running lean. Im sure the "tune" is to fix the MAF scaling.
Ah. If that's the case then yeah. I wouldn't think GM would release an intake like that for the V6, cause that would make it quantifiably better than any other aftermarket option...very odd to me. Always seems like the V6 is just an afterthought.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:15 AM   #24
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Ah. If that's the case then yeah. I wouldn't think GM would release an intake like that for the V6, cause that would make it quantifiably better than any other aftermarket option...very odd to me. Always seems like the V6 is just an afterthought.
I wouldn't say that. They specified an 1LE package for the V6 LT, and included it in the track prep instructions. Stinks about the intake - but don't let that color your perception of the V6 Camaro.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:52 AM   #25
FrostySS

Drives: 2018 Redline Edition 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairles View Post
Thats why people are getting CEL for running lean. Im sure the "tune" is to fix the MAF scaling.
It is, at least on the V8 version...can't see the V6 version being any different. It's not a full tune one would expect, it's strictly for the MAF.

As far as the OP goes, good luck on your boycott of GM because of a CAI issue. No technician is going to call you back, they're not paid to talk to customers(thank God). Sucks that you're having an issue with area dealerships, keep in mind that parts guys can't stay on top of every single thing but a simple bit of research on their end would give them the info. I understand you're wanting to stay with a GM product but you're overreacting with this whole CAI and warranty thing, just go with another company, slap it on and call it a day. You're not going to void your warranty and if some reason you have to bring the car into the dealership for something and you're that paranoid then put the factory intake back on while it's there.
2018 Redline Edition 2SS- A8, NPP, MRC, Recaro seats, ECS Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, cat deletes, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts Drake Muscle Car wicker bill, Adams Polishes Ceramic Coating

2010 Infiniti G37x Sedan for the DD.
FrostySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:47 PM   #26
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
GM DOES want you to buy their intake, just like any other intake company.

an intake is probably the most basic mod any one can do on a car these days. maybe its me, but I'm not seeing why all these posts are so "crisis" like as of late for intakes and other basic mods.

If anyone wants to buy the GM intake, here is what you do.

1st: Go buy the intake. REASON: the intake comes with directions for any gm tech at a dealership to FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS to install and or tune the intake. It doesn't matter if they know about it, or have done it before. it has STEP BY STEP directions for them to install it. as well as the process to get the reflash done.

No one here at 2 of the 3 AutoNation chevy locations knew about it, or knew about the tune being free. Granted i agree it sucks they haven't been informed on it yet.... its not impossible to get it done.

THIS IS WHY I BOUGHT THE INTAKE FIRST AND THEN TOOK THE DIRECTIONS IN WITH YOU TO SHOW THE SERVICE DEPT. or simply take the pics of the screen caps and take with you to the dealer. If you have any automotive gumption as a consumer, you can install the intake yourself and simply go in and have the tune done.

Its not rocket science, and they wont need a bag of hammers to nail the solution. JUST HAVE THEM FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS.

2nd: Once you have the directions, TAKE THEM TO THE DEALERSHIP THAT YOU WANT TO DO THE SERVICE

REASON:
they will look at it and show them to the person who will prob do the process. they may verify the part number as well through the parts counter manager as mine did. but if they simply follow the directions, the whole process is less than 40 minutes start to finish to get the reflash done.

If any tech who does reflashes for TSB's or anyone for that matter, can be taught how to scratch their own man parts step by step.

1) raise hand.
2) put hand on man parts
3) extend and contract fingers
4) repeat until itch is gone or feeling is good.

then any dealership can do the reflash for the intake after install. Below is a screen cap of the code and instructions for the dealer, but they will need to see THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT COME WITH THE INTAKE.

Next is a pic I sent into the the service schedule guy I made the appointment with. it gives the numbers for the GM Tech, Service Dept Manager, or whoever to call in, give them the codes on the ORANGE sticker, so they can get the authorization to do the reflash FOLLOWING THE DIRECTIONS IN YELLOW.

-The Service place has to call the TSCS: TECHLINE CUSTOMER SUPPORT CENTER

-To which they will be given a VCI "VEHICLE CONFIGURATION INDEX"

-Once they call there and then get the VCI, they can now then and only then reflash your car.

*NOTE* IF THEY DONT HAVE THE NUMBERS LISTED ON THE ORANGE STICKER TO CALL INTO THE TSCS TO GET THE VCI.... THEY ARENT GONNA BE ABLE TO HELP YOU. YOU NEED THE SERIAL NUMBER AND AUTHORIZATION CODE. EACH INTAKE HAS A DIFFERENT ONE!!! ***THIS IS WHY ITS SUGGESTED TO GET THE INTAKE FIRST, AND THEN TAKE THE DIRECTIONS TO THEM***

Notice, most of all of this involves the service dept. you take your car to, to HAVE THEM FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS.

Even ThatGMPartsGuy has posted this: http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=236

Many more have been posted on what to do. and truthfully, don't get mad, I am not being a dick by posting this, but a lot of what to do, or what to tell the dealer about this intake has been posted. so there's no need to be pissed or go on a rant saying "don't buy it" or "don't buy that". I get it, sometimes we get lazy. but when you really want something, that's when you do a bit extra. work a lil overtime, do a bit more reading to understand, etc... Its the same advice I was given about looking for things on the forum when i first got to Camaros, and some days I have time, other days i don't, but taking a lil time to find the info you need will save you headaches in the future.

all anyone has to do is use the function at the top of the forum to find em. That's ALL I did

I had to find 3 of em My own, ThatGMPartsGuy with their post on the tune being included, which is linked above, plus my old posts on the fuel trims. its not exactly Facebook where its instant to find things cause everyone is reposting the same thing, so sometimes you may have to do a lil diggin if you REALLY want to get the info on this. its supremely easy.

That's why even if they haven't heard of it, or even if that haven't done it before....any dealership can do it. given you are in a state that DOESNT have California based emissions laws to which it would be illegal, which is why some haven't pulled the trigger.

3rd: When you get your car back, drive and enjoy. mine was about 10k miles ago... haven't had a single issue.

Now there's been some confusion i've read through, that is a bit off...

From My own experience with BOTH INTAKES:

-Yes, the intake DOES require the reflash. Reason, the car WILL run lean. As said its been documented here often. I also had the issue as well before the tune was installed. you can run without the reflash, but you will throw a lean code. or you can get custom tuning. your choice.

The stock intake tube has two walls that surround the MAF sensor. some MAF housings of various makes and models have it, and some don't. the "air straightener" as its called by many companies, direct the air flow and clean it up when in between the two walls.

Quote:
The airflow straightener improves MAF readings by forcing incoming airflow into a uniform profile. Smooth and predictable airflow is the key to good, consistent MAF sensor readings for reliable horsepower gains.
Some MAF air straighteners also come in the form of a screen or a honeycomb over an end of the tube:

I called and talked to AFE about the LACK of one on their intake, and when I called it they said its due to their design of the intake tube, it allows for more CFM to flow, but its sizing difference is the key of pushing the limits, WITHOUT triggering too lean of a code. To note, I never had any codes thrown from the intake as most here have stated. so its a solid choice. sold mine when I went to the GM intake. To note....the GM Performance Intake ALSO has the same open tube setup. same as the AFE.

a few people had issues with the AFE when it first came out. from what I remember, and Pat, a local friend in the Camaro group (we bought em at the same time and I installed his) he has a manual. and there may be a different mapping in the engine tune. but his was running lean and throwing code P0170 or P0171. and yes we recleaned the MAF and made sure there were no leaks. AFE offered to him, to replace the tube with an upgraded version.

The GM Aftermarket intake has an open MAF sensor housing. The cars are calibrated to read the MAF reading inside the "air straighteners" that come in the STOCK INTAKE TUBE HOUSING. so when going to the open tube of the GM Performance intake, YES there is a need to recalibrate the MAF sensor to be able to properly read the new area of air flowing through. This is VERY common on fords, mazdas, subarus and various other makes where an intake DOES require a recalibration.

This isn't truly a " full tune" like what most think of HP Tuners, or Diablosport, etc... where you are maxing out advancing timing, and adding fuel, increasing transmission line pressure, and sometimes, upping the rpms a slightly. this is basically a recalibration of the MAF sensor to read the air accurately.

With the AFE intake, which is a good choice as well. This will run the car a bit lean. when I had the intake on, I did some data logs, and also had ETMX183 from the Camaro 5 forums, reset my long term and short term fuel trims with HP Tuners Pro Suite. Then re-logged the trims over a few weeks time. the main thing i noticed in difference from the GM Performance intake is my LT fuel trims were between 0-2.3 on both banks at idle. on the road driving easy or aggressive, they fluctuated up into the teens and into the negatives as needed.

with the AFE intake the fuel trims were up in the 11's to 18's on the positive side. only at speed and lifting off throttle would it dip past and into the negatives. with the fuel trims that high up in percentage even just at idle, that's how the AFE intake works with adding fuel to get more power along with the extra air flow.

If you were to tune the car, with the AFE intake, you would just increase the fuel being delivered in the mapping, and then the LT fuel trims wouldn't be as high (being they adjust from various readings), since you'd be directly adding fuel via the injectors rather than having the car sense a leaner condition and adjust the fuel trims to the injectors pulsed wider/longer.

Hopefully this clears up some of the "panic" of saying "GM doesn't want you to buy their intake". I think most can agree that when a company spends money to make something its meant to be sold. when they DONT want you to buy it, they mark it as discontinued, and the part number is pulled. most of us have seen this on parts that are found faulty, phased out, and/or superseded in the catalogs.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant

Last edited by PolynesianPowerhouse; 02-03-2018 at 03:07 PM.
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:33 PM   #27
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Great post poly, no need to be helpless, just go get it done. Who cares if they don’t know about it, teach them! Part of the problem is this operation Of getting this done involves more than one department of the dealership, and all the departments in a dealership are rather vertical ;parts doesn’t really talk to service, service doesn’t really talk to sales etc. etc. so when parts receives something that involves a labor operation like this accessory, they don’t even look at it ....in a smaller dealership, I don’t imagine they see more than one or two of these a year. Grab that install paper, go see the service manager in person, and put it on his desk.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:45 PM   #28
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Great post poly, no need to be helpless, just go get it done. Who cares if they don’t know about it, teach them! Part of the problem is this operation Of getting this done involves more than one department of the dealership, and all the departments in a dealership are rather vertical ;parts doesn’t really talk to service, service doesn’t really talk to sales etc. etc. so when parts receives something that involves a labor operation like this accessory, they don’t even look at it ....in a smaller dealership, I don’t imagine they see more than one or two of these a year.
that's exactly what I experienced.

I went in and talked to the one dealer, and at the same time I got the part numbers for the FEA and FE4 suspension and asked about it there while I was getting the transmission flushes done. they had no clue. it was like a came to a car dealer and asked em how to make Samoan food like panipopo or palusami.

then I started seeing the code posted here and in the gm intake post near the bottom of page 1. so I got more comfy with the idea of just getting it. and when I did, I'm glad I did, cause the second dealer, which is where I bought the car from, I thought he was getting hot with me on the phone. but I figured to just drive there and Stuart got it ALL taken care of.

they mentioned they haven't even sold one yet, v6 or v8, so their parts dept mgr was in the dark. so they took my screen caps, and a photocopy of my actual instructions, and called me back the next day. said they were swamped and no time, but the day after I could be flashed first thing. did it before work, no hassle, and so easy....and free (price included in the intake)

way I saw it... if you buy it and have the instructions, you can get it done. somewhere.

if they refuse to do it there, and you go through all GM places, and even the gm help line... keep the receipt and get your money back if all goes to poops!

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold air intake