Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-24-2017, 08:38 PM   #15
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCF View Post
Where did you find the info about the GM intake results from Ted? Don't see anything about that in the thread you linked...
Somebody asked him in another thread and Ted said he like both the GM and Rotofab.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=73
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:43 PM   #16
RCF

Drives: '17 2SS, NGM, MRC, DPP; '19 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Somebody asked him in another thread and Ted said he like both the GM and Rotofab.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=73
Thanks for the link!
RCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:28 PM   #17
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaMelt View Post
Not to sound rude but this has all the markings of a shill account post. You just joined. You've addressed the skepticism on this intake right out of the gate. Responding to everyone with incredible enthusiasm. It looks like you're trying to sell this thing. If I'm way off I apologize.
Fyi... There is a long thread in the V8 bolt on section of this forum from way back before this intake was released through now, and there are other happy and surprised customers there also, so his positive review is not new.

I'm not planning much at all for performance on my SS but I'm thinking a ported throttle body and this intake would be a sweet combo.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:40 PM   #18
KingLT1

The sweet combo is a ported Intake Manifold and TB if you want to pick up some good power and not have to worry about tuning or voiding your warranty. 500.00 gets you almost 20whp across the curve. Or you can spend the same on a CAI and gain 5-6whp.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #19
TunaMelt

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Fyi... There is a long thread in the V8 bolt on section of this forum from way back before this intake was released through now, and there are other happy and surprised customers there also, so his positive review is not new.

I'm not planning much at all for performance on my SS but I'm thinking a ported throttle body and this intake would be a sweet combo.
There's also a few dynos that show it actually loses power and several others that are not happy with it. The placebo effect will always make a difference. I'm sorry but a butt dyno on something this miniscule isn't worth anything.
TunaMelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:14 PM   #20
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
OP, is your car A8 or M6?
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:07 PM   #21
Mrpilotman321

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jix15 View Post
Does it change exhaust tune if you just have the normal NPP thinking of doing it too and wanna keep my warranty.
Heres the thing. I'm currently living in Daytona Beach, Florida. It was a steady 90 degrees up to the day I sent my car to the dealership for the intake and tune. Once I received it 2 days later, no joke, the temperature dropped 10-15 degrees. Now temperature varies from 65-80 throughout the week.

So yes, there is a difference in the exhaust sound, crackles, and pops but, I cannot say for sure if the tune and intake is what caused it. It's very likely that the drop in ambient temperature is what's causing the car to sound so much better than before. I highly recommend that you do it. I don't think you will be disappointed!
Mrpilotman321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:21 PM   #22
Mrpilotman321

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaMelt View Post
Not to sound rude but this has all the markings of a shill account post. You just joined. You've addressed the skepticism on this intake right out of the gate. Responding to everyone with incredible enthusiasm. It looks like you're trying to sell this thing. If I'm way off I apologize.
I don't work for GM -- nor do they sponsor me in anyway, shape, or, form. Your response made me feel the need to address that.

I'm just an average dude who is very excited to be apart of a Camaro loving community. I posted this for those who were contemplating whether they should buy this specific intake or not. I truly did not believe that I would notice any difference in performance after the install. But I did! -- and I just wanted to share
Old 10-25-2017, 11:27 PM   #23
Mrpilotman321

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
The sweet combo is a ported Intake Manifold and TB if you want to pick up some good power and not have to worry about tuning or voiding your warranty. 500.00 gets you almost 20whp across the curve. Or you can spend the same on a CAI and gain 5-6whp.
I always thought modifying the TB and intake manifold would void warranty

I wouldn't even know where to get it done! Maybe you can share some links?
Old 10-25-2017, 11:28 PM   #24
Mrpilotman321

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx9rmal View Post
OP, is your car A8 or M6?
The car is an M6. I wrote it in the beginning of the post but its really easy to miss. Sorry about that
Old 10-25-2017, 11:54 PM   #25
thundercrakcer

Drives: Summit White 2SS, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpilotman321 View Post
2SS M6 - I was VERY skeptical going into this. I bought the intake expecting that there wouldn't be any noticeable performance gains. Man, was I wrong. I noticed how responsive the car became. The car picks up quicker in the lower RPMs. The throttle inputs feels smoother, and, the bog that I usually felt at lower RPMs is gone. The car is simply breathing better if that makes any sense. It sounds great by the way.

I'm not sure if this particular set up is worth the money for some of you. There are cheaper alternatives that (possibly) create more hp and tq. But, keeping the car's warranty is important to me which is why I stuck to the GMPP intake. Mind you that I am "butt dyno-ing" so I don't have any solid evidence to share with you all. In all seriousness, there is a noticeable difference. That's for sure.

If anybody has dyno results or personal experiences, please feel free to share! Also, I read an article somewhere online that says the car gets something like 11 hp and 27 ft lbs of tq without a tune. Not sure how accurate that information is.
I got the GMPP intake as well. I confirmed before purchase and before I picked it up at the dealership that it does come with the "tune" which is actually just a re-calibration for the MAF.

I installed it myself, because it is really simple to do. Took about 30 mins with the basic tools.

As for the performance gains, 5-6whp is not noticeable. However, where it does become noticeable is the throttle response. Those of you that have experienced the throttle lag, this will not completely resolve it, but it will reduce it dramatically. That only counts when the nannies are on of course, once you go into competitive mode there is no lag that I have experienced yet.

For the sound difference, I cannot say much because I already had Flowmaster Outlaws and xpipe on, but it did make it a little deeper.

Now, when I installed the kit, I did it at the dealership, right in the parking lot. I wasn't able to get in to do the flash because it was a busy day and had no appointment made. When I drove home, I did feel like it was sluggish compared to the stock intake. Remember, the flash/tune wasn't done yet.

Once the flash was done, that is when the real difference was noticeable. The response was immediate, and there was a couple of times I could feel the tires breaking free under WOT, nannies on by the way.

So, is it worth it? absolutely, especially if you want to keep the warranty. Is 1 or 2whp gain over the GMPP worth a potential voided warranty, or a "better looking" cai worth it? absolutely not.

But to each there own, it is your car and do what you want with it. But I'm glad I waited and took the chance on the GMPP. I just wish it didn't cost as much as it does.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:44 AM   #26
KingLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpilotman321 View Post
I always thought modifying the TB and intake manifold would void warranty

I wouldn't even know where to get it done! Maybe you can share some links?
How would it void your warranty? It does not require a tune and you can not tell anything has been modified unless you were to remove the parts and examine them internally. Even then the intake would have a coating of oil in it by that point and 99.97% chance a GM techinician would not pay attention anyway.

Pro tip, click out of this section, go to the V8 bolt-on and mods section, and start reading. Search Pray performance.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:02 AM   #27
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
Glad to hear such positive Feedback on this CAI. I just ordered and picked mine up 2-weeks ago. Unfortunately the car is in Winter storage, so the install be done in the Spring.........
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:46 AM   #28
douglas2742

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS coupe
[QUOTE=Mrpilotman321;9950472]2SS M6 - I was VERY skeptical going into this. I bought the intake expecting that there wouldn't be any noticeable performance gains. Man, was I wrong. I noticed how responsive the car became. The car picks up quicker in the lower RPMs. The throttle inputs feels smoother, and, the bog that I usually felt at lower RPMs is gone. The car is simply breathing better if that makes any sense. It sounds great by the way.

I'm not sure if this particular set up is worth the money for some of you. There are cheaper alternatives that (possibly) create more hp and tq. But, keeping the car's warranty is important to me which is why I stuck to the GMPP intake. Mind you that I am "butt dyno-ing" so I don't have any solid evidence to share with you all. In all seriousness, there is a noticeable difference. That's for sure.

If anybody has dyno results or personal experiences, please feel free to share! Also, I read an article somewhere online that says the car gets something like 11 hp and 27 ft lbs of tq without a tune. Not sure how accurate that information is.[/QUOTE

I also read where that GMPP intake (identical to the aftermarket CAI sells) does not need a tune as the computer recognizes the better airflow and automatically adjusts the fuel/air mixture and timing. So the 11 hp/27 tq advertised by CAI is probably exactly what you're getting.
1SS, Recaro seats, A8 w/paddle shift extensions, NPP, Magnuson 2300 supercharger, Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust and x-pipe, factory handling kit, Phastek lowering springs, Alpine sound system w/JL sub, Lexani custom 21" wheels, Michelin Super Sport 4S tires, Bigwormgraphix striping, Chevy Performance Brembo big brake kit, darkened taillights and Remin carbon fiber dash kit.

douglas2742 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold air intake, gm tune, gmpp