#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-16-2022, 01:30 PM   #43
KindaOrange

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
UPDATE: The dealership replaced the entire tank and fuel pick up assembly, they had it all out so I could see it and I now I understand more about the gas tank and fuel pick up assembly;

The two sides of the tank are really divided/segregated and hence there is a fuel scavenger pump in the left hand side of the tank that pumps the fuel on that side back to the main pump on the right hand side, so if this scavenger pump was not working, no fuel would get back to the right hand side of the tank where the main pump is on hard long right hand corners.

Guess what???

The entire time this has been going on, the dealership never thought about replacing the scavenger pump!!! They had only replaced the main pump!!!

I can't believe their lack of logic and thought... If this doesn't fix the problem I'd be shocked.
Hey GMG, having the same issue on track days in my SS. Did the scavenger pump fix this problem? Just wanted a follow-up (even though this was posted awhile ago). Thanks!
KindaOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:27 PM   #44
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindaOrange View Post
Hey GMG, having the same issue on track days in my SS. Did the scavenger pump fix this problem? Just wanted a follow-up (even though this was posted awhile ago). Thanks!
Not sure if GMG still runs his Camaro, but regardless, this would be a good hint to offer to a dealer....
Best of luck with it! Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 03:31 PM   #45
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Hey, yeah first track day in over a year yesterday, so far it seems to have fixed the problem however since it has come back a few times I can’t say for sure yet.

Another guy in a Camaro ZL1 had the same problem as me in my town at the same track, and replacing the fuel tank and all pumps solved the problem for him
Old 06-19-2022, 10:07 AM   #46
TrackClub

Quote:
Hey, yeah first track day in over a year yesterday, so far it seems to have fixed the problem however since it has come back a few times I can’t say for sure yet.

Another guy in a Camaro ZL1 had the same problem as me in my town at the same track, and replacing the fuel tank and all pumps solved the problem for him
Hey GMG, great to hear you're up and running! Planning on taking my car too this year. Zero runs last season sucked!
All the best!
Old 06-20-2022, 10:30 AM   #47
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
It is possible if you are running the tank that low, if you are starving either pump in such a way that they run dry, they will burn up and lower the life.

My advise would be staying above 1/4 tank at all times when doing track days. Running a tank all the way to E on track is not worth the risk of running lean.

A forum member on here named Travis has a ton of data on LT4 low level fueling performance.
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 12:42 PM   #48
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
It is possible if you are running the tank that low, if you are starving either pump in such a way that they run dry, they will burn up and lower the life.

My advise would be staying above 1/4 tank at all times when doing track days. Running a tank all the way to E on track is not worth the risk of running lean.

A forum member on here named Travis has a ton of data on LT4 low level fueling performance.
Thanks yeah I always run 1/3 tank or above and usually don’t let it fall below 1/2 and while that helped, the problem still persisted until everything was replaced (fingers crossed)

I’ve talked with Tavis in the past, if I recall correctly we had a slightly different issue, but yeah he has lots of info!
Old 06-20-2022, 12:43 PM   #49
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Hey GMG, great to hear you're up and running! Planning on taking my car too this year. Zero runs last season sucked!
All the best!
Glad to hear you are back it it too TC!
Old 06-20-2022, 01:47 PM   #50
TrackClub

Quote:
Glad to hear you are back it it too TC!
Old 06-24-2022, 10:11 AM   #51
GunMetalGrey

I’m hijacking my own thread, is anyone surprised that my Kooks GESI green cats melted after just two 20 minute track sessions? I’m very disappointed that they failed so fast.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:10 AM   #52
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
I’m hijacking my own thread, is anyone surprised that my Kooks GESI green cats melted after just two 20 minute track sessions? I’m very disappointed that they failed so fast.
I was talking to Katech about a build and requested Green Cats. Katech told me above 500hp, it’s almost certain the green cats will collapse.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:36 AM   #53
TrackClub

Quote:
Just pretend yer from Alberta and run no cats 😀
Old 06-25-2022, 01:46 AM   #54
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
I was talking to Katech about a build and requested Green Cats. Katech told me above 500hp, it’s almost certain the green cats will collapse.
Did they recommend any cats that could hold up on the race track?

Kooks says they have high output GESI versions that are better than their standard GESI green cats but they would not say if they would hold up to track use.

G sport by GESI has some that are rated at 1200 hp per cat but again I don’t know if they would hold up on track. I will probably call them and find out.

https://gsportbygesi.com/high-perfor...tems-products/
Old 06-25-2022, 01:47 AM   #55
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Just pretend yer from Alberta and run no cats 😀
That’s what I’m doing in the short term until I can find the solution that is proven to work and last. I don’t want the gassy smell on the street and I would prefer not to have to change them out before and after every track session
Old 06-25-2022, 07:56 AM   #56
TrackClub

Quote:
That’s what I’m doing in the short term until I can find the solution that is proven to work and last. I don’t want the gassy smell on the street and I would prefer not to have to change them out before and after every track session
What happened with your stockers? Or did you want higher flow?

Tags
cornering, power loss, stumbling, surging, wot