#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-29-2020, 05:58 PM   #71
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
I would consider a catch can, but there has already been at least one ZL1 owner who had his warranty denied by GM on a failed motor due to a catch can, so that's a deal breaker for me.
Remove if major service is needed, not a big deal and no way anyone can tell. I do not want blowby getting recycled to my engine - bad on multiple fronts

Quote:
The problem with straight 50 is there is no low weight oil blended in for cold start, so you're starting with pure 50 wt and that's pretty thick even at 80 F--when I add 15w50 in my engine on a warm day it flows slowly from the container.
Right, and 15W-50 is too thick for a street engine.

Honda's 2.0T sees higher load (20 psi boost) and Honda calls for 0W-20. I think that's crazy, but it shows that some manufacturers have no problem specifying very thin oils to reduce pumping losses, and the motors seem to be holding up (on the street)

Chevy calls for 0W-40 in this engine as of 2019, I trust their judgment
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:43 AM   #72
Biscuit.fr

Drives: Red hot ZL1 A10 2017
Do you know if the color of the label dexos 2 has a meaning ?

Some dude said to me that:
Blue is for diesel first
Green for unleaded first

Any remarks on that detail ?
Or is it BS?
Biscuit.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:41 AM   #73
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit.fr View Post

Blue is for diesel first
Green for unleaded first

Or is it BS?
As far as I am aware, DEXOS 2 label is blue, while DEXOS 1 Gen 2 label is green. They are two different standards.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:08 AM   #74
Fredtp

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10 Black Mosaic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
^ That is why it makes no sense that a 5W-40 Dexos isn't suitable for track or street or both according to GM. 0W has nothing to do with track useage as I understand oil weights. It even frickin says you can run a 15W-50 at the track (no Dexos cert!)!
Kong Ported SC, 2.3 Grip Tec, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, NW103 TB, Mighty Mouse CC, ADM Expansion Tank, ARH 1 7/8 Headers, Catless 3" X-Pipe, Corsa Extreme, Eibach Springs, BMR Cradle Lockout, BMR Trailing/Control arms.
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:26 AM   #75
Ponyeatr16ss
retired badass

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Ponyeatr16ss Send a message via Yahoo to Ponyeatr16ss
put Amsoil in it, I mean Amsoil is the leader in synthetics has been since the mid 1970's.
all others just get their ideas from Amsoil. Been a dealer since 2006.
Ponyeatr16ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:20 AM   #76
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
For anyone looking, the GM part number for the Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 is 19353135. I called a dealer and was told $7.76 a quart. I work for a dealer, so he was helping me out, our GM dealer quoted me like $9 a quart!
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:39 AM   #77
Flowtie1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
For anyone looking, the GM part number for the Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 is 19353135. I called a dealer and was told $7.76 a quart. I work for a dealer, so he was helping me out, our GM dealer quoted me like $9 a quart!
Thank you RedlineZ. I paid $13.85 a guart from Walmart online for it. Tasco chevy has it for $7.76 a quart
Flowtie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #78
ZX-10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyeatr16ss View Post
put Amsoil in it, I mean Amsoil is the leader in synthetics has been since the mid 1970's.
all others just get their ideas from Amsoil. Been a dealer since 2006.
It's good stuff but it's almost double the price of Castrol Edge 0W-40 I can get from Amazon for $21/5 qt. I don't see a clear advantage anymore. All these newer "extended performance" synthetics with additive packs are very good. Used oil analysis and various wear tests show relatively minor differences, especially for oil change intervals 5k or less. Conventional M1 is probably near the bottom of the pile.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:11 PM   #79
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit.fr View Post

Blue is for diesel first
Green for unleaded first

Or is it BS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
As far as I am aware, DEXOS 2 label is blue, while DEXOS 1 Gen 2 label is green. They are two different standards.
This! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:19 PM   #80
Redlinez
Shifts under load

And Ammsoil is not Dexos to those who want to follow the letter of GM law. Can't beat Speedway with their $10 coupon for first order and an oil filter here https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mobil...xoC7J4QAvD_BwE
Old 05-30-2020, 02:41 PM   #81
ZX-10R

If anyone can explain to me why dexos is little more than sales and marketing bullshit, I might consider using it - but I don't think anyone can, they will just keep paying DOUBLE THE PRICE for similar or worse oil!

Please don't tell me it will void the warranty to use non dexos, that's insane.

http://synlubepros.com/blog/posts/ti...-oil-all-about

Quote:
Dexos 1 has performance features that exceed those requirements of API SN/ ILSAC GF-5 in some areas and are less strict in others.

Dexos 1 requires performance to be enhanced over what API SN/ ILSAC GF-5 requires in the following areas; engine sludge protection, volatility, piston cleanliness, turbo charger protection, resistance to oxidative thickening, wear protection, seal compatibility, and corrosion protection.

Dexos 1 requirements for emissions systems durability, fuel economy and E-85 emulsion retention (use with gasoline containing alcohol) are somewhat less than what API SN/ ILSAC GF-5 require.

The Dexos 1 licensing program requires motor oil manufactures to pay a licensing fee to General Motors to use the Dexos1 approved logo; essentially making the sale and use of Dexos 1 motor oils a profit center for GM and increasing the cost of the oil.

Early on the concept GM had for the Dexos 1 licensing program required motor oil manufactures and end-sellers alike to pay a per-quart fee to GM for every bottle of GM Dexos approved oil sold.

In actual implementation though I believe this has changed to a flat fee per year for manufacturers and end-sellers. Since I’m not privy to GM’s decisions and because the Dexos 1 licensing program is still evolving and has changed more than once since its inception only GM and the manufacturers/ end-sellers who have entered the program know the actual fee’s that add to the retail price of Dexos 1 motor oil.

While a quite a few motor oil manufactures have started making oil that meets the Dexos 1 specification, at the time of this writing any number of motor oil manufacturers including Valvoline and Amsoil have balked at paying this fee saying it does nothing for the consumer but drive up the cost of the oil and are refusing to join GM’s program.

The reality for the consumer is that as long as the motor oil you choose says that it is formulated for the Dexos 1 spec you are covered even if the manufacturer has not purchased the right to use the Dexos 1 approved symbol (paid GM’s licensing fee)

Dan Peterson, Amsoil Inc Vice President of Technical Development stated in a recent interview that while each of the specifications outperforms the other in some certain areas that Amsoil has formulated its full synthetic motor oils to exceed the requirements of API SN, ILSAC GF-5 and GM Dexos 1 in all areas.

Currently Amsoil OE and XL, 5W/30 full synthetic motor oils meet and exceed Dexos 1 requirements and Amsoil has plans for other such products
Old 05-30-2020, 02:54 PM   #82
Redlinez
Shifts under load

I hear you on that, but while under warranty, you do take that chance. I hear horror stories all the time of Chevy dealers voiding warranty for just about anything they can. Not sure I would take that chance not using Dexos oil while under warranty. I'm a service advisor myself, but not at a Chevy or Ford dealer. Luckily, I'm friends with the Chevy dealer service manager where I go. The manufacturer reserves the right to deny coverage if you don't follow their requirements, after all, they are paying for the repair.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:26 PM   #83
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
I hear you on that, but while under warranty, you do take that chance. I hear horror stories all the time of Chevy dealers voiding warranty for just about anything they can. Not sure I would take that chance not using Dexos oil while under warranty. I'm a service advisor myself, but not at a Chevy or Ford dealer. Luckily, I'm friends with the Chevy dealer service manager where I go. The manufacturer reserves the right to deny coverage if you don't follow their requirements, after all, they are paying for the repair.
Agree, and while paying North of 60K for a car some over 70K I can't see wanting to save 15.00 or even 50.00 makes any sense.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:43 PM   #84
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
Agree, and while paying North of 60K for a car some over 70K I can't see wanting to save 15.00 or even 50.00 makes any sense.
This is what baffles me, we spend all this money on these high performance cars and a bunch of people are worried about saving $30-$40 per oil change... Really???

If the oil change hurts your pocketbook that much then you very likely can't afford the car in the first place...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote