Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-17-2021, 09:40 AM   #57
Snakebt6

Drives: Rally Green 2020 ZL1 1LE A10
I agree. Looks black in my garage as well.

Lots of 1LEs here in Florida but we have the weather for it for sure.

Enjoy it!
Snakebt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:33 PM   #58
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
Hello d15b7,

Congrats on the purchase, looking very good! Funny thing, I was actually eyeing that very same car on AutoTrader for a few weeks That green is awesome and works very well with the whole Zl1 1LE package. Good to see it's gone to a good home, to someone who will be using it to the fullest of its intent!

Say, since you're instructing road racing, maybe you can answer a question of mine about the ZL1 1LE suspension. I know I know... How harsh its suspension is for regular roads and daily driving has been a highly debated topic, and I'm not looking at re-covering all arguments here, but I was hoping you could let me know how it compares specifically to a stock non-magnetic-ride C6 Z06 suspension, which I hope you've had many opportunities to drive. I used to have a 2009 Z06 myself, which I daily drove for about 5 years (and a C5 Z06 for 3 years before that).

If you can comment on that specifically, would you say it is way better, better, same, worse, or way worse than the C6 Z06 suspension?

Thank you, much appreciated!

Beyond that, I understand I may need to experience a ride in one in person, but I was hoping to at least find out about that first.

All the best,

Geoff
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:30 PM   #59
d15b7

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 1 LE
hi Geoff!

OK so I think I can help out; I've driven a C5 Z06, a C6 Z06, and a C7 Z06/Z07 all on tracks. plus a ZL1 1LE (not mine, it was a coaching client's).
by far, the stiffest from the factory is the ZLE. when they say that the suspension is calibrated and sprung and damped for racing, they mean it. it's stiff stiff stiff. a stock C6 Z06 is WAY more compliant and comfy on a Northeast road than the ZLE. when I drove mine back from NJ last saturday, I was trying my best to avoid all the potholes and frost heaves as best I could but couldn't miss them all, and it does make an impact when you hit one. train tracks are rough too (I had to cross a set) as are asphalt to concrete transitions (like on a smaller bridge on a secondary road, which we have where I live).

that being said - the suspension movements are very well controlled (the dampers are awesome and control the spring rates really well). this is a hard core car, and it is clearly aimed at racetrack use. If I were going to use it often for street driving, I think I'd have gotten the standard ZL1 with mag ride instead. but for the minimal street driving I'll be doing with it, I really wanted to go for the much more 'special' 1LE experience.

so, suspension-wise, I'd say for track use, it's 'way better' than a stock C6 Z06. for street use, I'd say it's 'worse' for driving on the street than a C6 Z06. I personally wouldn't daily this car especially not here in the northeast where our roads are shit compared to say the southern states.

hope that helps!
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jofu View Post
Hello d15b7,

Congrats on the purchase, looking very good! Funny thing, I was actually eyeing that very same car on AutoTrader for a few weeks That green is awesome and works very well with the whole Zl1 1LE package. Good to see it's gone to a good home, to someone who will be using it to the fullest of its intent!

Say, since you're instructing road racing, maybe you can answer a question of mine about the ZL1 1LE suspension. I know I know... How harsh its suspension is for regular roads and daily driving has been a highly debated topic, and I'm not looking at re-covering all arguments here, but I was hoping you could let me know how it compares specifically to a stock non-magnetic-ride C6 Z06 suspension, which I hope you've had many opportunities to drive. I used to have a 2009 Z06 myself, which I daily drove for about 5 years (and a C5 Z06 for 3 years before that).

If you can comment on that specifically, would you say it is way better, better, same, worse, or way worse than the C6 Z06 suspension?

Thank you, much appreciated!

Beyond that, I understand I may need to experience a ride in one in person, but I was hoping to at least find out about that first.

All the best,

Geoff
d15b7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:40 PM   #60
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by d15b7 View Post
hi Geoff!

OK so I think I can help out; I've driven a C5 Z06, a C6 Z06, and a C7 Z06/Z07 all on tracks. plus a ZL1 1LE (not mine, it was a coaching client's).
by far, the stiffest from the factory is the ZLE. when they say that the suspension is calibrated and sprung and damped for racing, they mean it. it's stiff stiff stiff. a stock C6 Z06 is WAY more compliant and comfy on a Northeast road than the ZLE. when I drove mine back from NJ last saturday, I was trying my best to avoid all the potholes and frost heaves as best I could but couldn't miss them all, and it does make an impact when you hit one. train tracks are rough too (I had to cross a set) as are asphalt to concrete transitions (like on a smaller bridge on a secondary road, which we have where I live).

that being said - the suspension movements are very well controlled (the dampers are awesome and control the spring rates really well). this is a hard core car, and it is clearly aimed at racetrack use. If I were going to use it often for street driving, I think I'd have gotten the standard ZL1 with mag ride instead. but for the minimal street driving I'll be doing with it, I really wanted to go for the much more 'special' 1LE experience.

so, suspension-wise, I'd say for track use, it's 'way better' than a stock C6 Z06. for street use, I'd say it's 'worse' for driving on the street than a C6 Z06. I personally wouldn't daily this car especially not here in the northeast where our roads are shit compared to say the southern states.

hope that helps!
Todd
Thank you much, Todd, I appreciate your realistic and informed take on it.

To me the C6 Z06 was totally fine stock, but given the 1LE is worse for street use, it's not likely to be the car for me hehehe. I am willing to give up some comfort, but not so much...

Still, I might try to get someone local to give me a ride in their car at some point, to get the complete feel. It's not one of those cars you can easily find around in dealerships, much less getting a test ride in (which I can understand), so that's not an option...

Anyway, thank you again, and enjoy the car in good health!

Geoff
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:10 PM   #61
ponyboy96

Drives: 2020 ZLE A10, 2018 F250 Diesel
Congrats on the ride. Don’t track it. I think you’ll be upset when you find out it’s faster than your race car completely stock.
ponyboy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:42 PM   #62
d15b7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy96 View Post
Congrats on the ride. Don’t track it. I think you’ll be upset when you find out it’s faster than your race car completely stock.
thanks PonyBoy (stay golden LOL). ya I think bone stock this car would be very close to my 'fast' racecar. (I have a vintage racecar that I race too; it's a Lotus Super Seven that I vintage race with VRG in the midbore group, and it's pretty fast but no where near the same galaxy of fast as this ZLE). my 'fast' racecar is something you guys will get a chuckle out of (it's the polar opposite of American Muscle)! I've had it since 1997, and have been racing it since 2000, gradually building it from a stock car up into what it is now. it's a '95 Honda Civic DX hatchback, with a LOT of mods. (K24 engine with a BW EFR7163 turbo, 6 sp manual trans, Hoosier 295-30-15 A7s up front (225-45-15 rear), homemade front splitter with diveplanes, complete flat bottom with rear diffuser and a sizable wing. on low boost it makes 450ish whp; high boost is close to 600 whp. weight with me in it is ~2400 lbs. she moves out pretty well; on low boost I did a 2:01.9 at VIR full course on a very hot day at the UTCC event 2019, and was having serious overheating / pulling timing so was probably 380-400ish whp level. on a decent day with the overheating solved this year I'm looking for a 1:58.x lap, which I'm pretty sure is doable. this car is a handful and you need to be on your game or it'll hurt you. (check out the lap below that's my 2:01.9 at the UTCC on saturday's Knock Out Race.).

I'm pretty sure I could break 2 mins with the ZLE bone stock at VIR, without all that much drama. I think, anyway..

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmUHWCpbUJmArDc6...sdnTN?e=4N790G
Old 03-19-2021, 11:25 AM   #63
kramard

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by d15b7 View Post
thanks PonyBoy (stay golden LOL). ya I think bone stock this car would be very close to my 'fast' racecar. (I have a vintage racecar that I race too; it's a Lotus Super Seven that I vintage race with VRG in the midbore group, and it's pretty fast but no where near the same galaxy of fast as this ZLE). my 'fast' racecar is something you guys will get a chuckle out of (it's the polar opposite of American Muscle)! I've had it since 1997, and have been racing it since 2000, gradually building it from a stock car up into what it is now. it's a '95 Honda Civic DX hatchback, with a LOT of mods. (K24 engine with a BW EFR7163 turbo, 6 sp manual trans, Hoosier 295-30-15 A7s up front (225-45-15 rear), homemade front splitter with diveplanes, complete flat bottom with rear diffuser and a sizable wing. on low boost it makes 450ish whp; high boost is close to 600 whp. weight with me in it is ~2400 lbs. she moves out pretty well; on low boost I did a 2:01.9 at VIR full course on a very hot day at the UTCC event 2019, and was having serious overheating / pulling timing so was probably 380-400ish whp level. on a decent day with the overheating solved this year I'm looking for a 1:58.x lap, which I'm pretty sure is doable. this car is a handful and you need to be on your game or it'll hurt you. (check out the lap below that's my 2:01.9 at the UTCC on saturday's Knock Out Race.).

I'm pretty sure I could break 2 mins with the ZLE bone stock at VIR, without all that much drama. I think, anyway..

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmUHWCpbUJmArDc6...sdnTN?e=4N790G
I went 1:57.8 100% stock (stock pads, tires etc.) Very capable. Here you go:

https://youtu.be/RDJwLDBfuu8?t=121

went 1:57.4 on A7s - never got a perfect lap (got warm and i got burned on my first flyer - data suggests on A7s I should be mid 1:56s). Car otherwise stock save for A7s and Apex Wheels.

kramard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:46 AM   #64
MikeEM1

Drives: Tracks: 18' ZL1 1LE
That green is so awesome!
AWE Track w/PLP
APR GTC300 wing / Singular Endplates
ASC Splitter / PA tunnels
MFR Engineering Custom Diffuser
Race Louvers Fender Vents
APEX SM10 & ARC8

For sale: 2018 OEM ZL1 1LE Wing

12' Nissan GT-R SOLD
MikeEM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:14 PM   #65
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
As someone who owned a C7 Z06 prior to my ZLE ownership, the ZLE was the best decision ever (for me). I actively hit back roads and track.

I am honest and deliberate about this car. The first thing I did prior to delivery was swap the stock GY3R tires to Michelin PS4S which substantially helped with on street driving. The GY3R tires are specifically for track use only. I have a separate set of Apex wheels for it.

The ZLE is for someone who intends on track days a few times a year. This isn’t some half baked muscle car that ‘may’ do track days.

I have taken the ZLE on 10 hour drives from MD to the Tail of the Dragon and surrounding areas and back. PS4S tires make it very possible.

The ZLE needs to be driven hard. Not one for posers.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:28 AM   #66
d15b7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramard View Post
I went 1:57.8 100% stock (stock pads, tires etc.) Very capable. Here you go:

https://youtu.be/RDJwLDBfuu8?t=121

went 1:57.4 on A7s - never got a perfect lap (got warm and i got burned on my first flyer - data suggests on A7s I should be mid 1:56s). Car otherwise stock save for A7s and Apex Wheels.

holy shit man that is FLYING at VIR full course in a totally stock car!!!! congrats on that drive! (that's the lap time I am looking to attain in my full race Civic). for you guys who aren't track nuts, at VIR full anything under 2 mins is freaking MOOOOVING!!! that a bone stock car (on the tires and brake pads that it came from the factory with!) can do a 1:57.x is insanely fast.

honestly going that fast in a car without a full cage is a little scary to me; I've been racing wheel to wheel a long time and have totaled several cars over the years (and took a life flight from Summit Point to Fairfax Trauma Center once after one of the wrecks) and the cage saved my life that time. barely LOL.

I think if/when I take my ZLE on track to exercise it, I'm likely to only push it to 90%, given that its stock uncaged.

man kudos to the 1:57 -- color me super impressed!!!!