Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-24-2019, 12:32 PM   #183
2SSRedline

Drives: '18 Camaro SS Redline, '20 Bolt EV
I received and installed my new TB (2018 SS M6) on Saturday and did the relearn Sunday morning.
Both installation and relearn were very easy. The driveability improvement is fantastic, so much more consistent and fluid. Being in stop and go traffic is no longer aggravating.
Why can't they build them this way?

Thanks to Mike and his crew.
John
2SSRedline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:42 PM   #184
lgarrison34

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE HBM, 2010 SS FBO/Cam
Installed mine yesterday. Drives like a dream and relearned the mapping quickly after having the battery disconnected overnight. I have a Pray ported OEM IM sitting in the box ready to install next.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #185
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
My biggest concern would be how the ecm will adjust over time. I hope that it doesn’t “dumb down” the initial affect of disconnecting the battery and a fresh TB install. Soler can you comment on how the ecm adjusts over time?
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:00 PM   #186
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
My biggest concern would be how the ecm will adjust over time. I hope that it doesn’t “dumb down” the initial affect of disconnecting the battery and a fresh TB install. Soler can you comment on how the ecm adjusts over time?
I’ve read a few comments about how that happens eventually.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:15 PM   #187
Spanky1

Drives: 2017 2SS Summit White Camaro M6
Does anyone have a pic or the correct steps to remove the connector without losing or breaking it?
Spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #188
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRedline View Post
I received and installed my new TB (2018 SS M6) on Saturday and did the relearn Sunday morning.
Both installation and relearn were very easy. The driveability improvement is fantastic, so much more consistent and fluid. Being in stop and go traffic is no longer aggravating.
Why can't they build them this way?

Thanks to Mike and his crew.
John
Can you (or anyone) tell us what the relearn procedure is?

thank you
Old 06-24-2019, 01:40 PM   #189
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Drives: 2015 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
My biggest concern would be how the ecm will adjust over time. I hope that it doesn’t “dumb down” the initial effect of disconnecting the battery and a fresh TB install. Soler can you comment on how the ecm adjusts over time?
To the contrary, it gets better with driving cycles until it is fully learned. There is no long term data, these have been out for no longer than 6 months. It is not reasonable to think that it will change any further in any direction after that unless it gets clogged by dirt.

The pedal map is static, for X pedal you get Y throttle, and for Y throttle you get Z airflow, Y to Z is fixed too by the TB geometry. So, everything is fixed from X to Z.

Now you get that extra Z air and the oxygen sensor will adjust fuel trims so it burns stoichiometric (unless enrichment is purposely requested). No problems with fuel either.

That Z extra air + extra fuel = extra power and torque, the ECM will look at torque limits and if exceeded it will reduce spark timing advance, but b/c we are not exceeding those limits timing is not reduced. If it does you'll get small surges in power/rpm's when restored to normal.

I believe, someone at corvette forum said it went backward 20% and that only 80% of the benefit remained.

There is no data to support that, it is an opinion and we respect it. I'll not enter in a philosophical/psychological argument, but it is very easy to get used to a good thing, and we'll gladly take the 80% as a huge win.

Thanks,
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:45 PM   #190
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
Can you (or anyone) tell us what the relearn procedure is?

thank you
Attached, reading the red font is sort of a summary.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Relearn and Test Instructions Rev NEW V5.pdf (32.9 KB, 256 views)

Last edited by Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC; 06-24-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:51 PM   #191
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky1 View Post
Does anyone have a pic or the correct steps to remove the connector without losing or breaking it?
Please, see post #161, link below. Watch that video. Courtesy of Trochoidal and Lethal Camaro. We are in the process of rewriting our instructions for this connector as well.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...&postcount=161

Thanks,
Old 06-24-2019, 02:04 PM   #192
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC View Post
Attached, reading the red font is sort of a summary.
Thank you sir!
Old 06-24-2019, 02:11 PM   #193
Spanky1

Drives: 2017 2SS Summit White Camaro M6
Thanks for your quick response Mike!
Spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #194
DougCBJ

Drives: 2016 Blue 2SS
quick question on the core refund. Is shipping paid for both ways, or will i need to pay shipping to send back the core?
DougCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:59 PM   #195
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
I need to stay off these forums (car, motorcycle) they cost me money... Being OCD and already rocking a Tony Mamo I dug out my OEM piece and am sending it in for modification, my OEM TB has less than 4K miles on it. I'm pretty pleased with the TM unit so we'll see I guess.
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:26 PM   #196
Mosaic6SS

Drives: Camaro
Hey Mike I thought the new style ECM algorithm adjusted according to driver input. For example if you drive your car more aggressively then the throttle progressivity would adjust and give you a more responsive throttle. On the other hand a new setting from the factory gives a dead throttle feel to aid in vehicle breakin. This throttle lag would also appear if you drive very conservative over a long period of time. I am not sure about track mode but since I have reset the settings and did the throttle relearn and did quite a few hard pulls the throttle in sport setting feels snappy.
Mosaic6SS is offline   Reply With Quote