Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-26-2020, 06:33 AM   #1
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Flat Plane Crank Engines

Watching the C8.Rs race for 24hrs, I wonder if Ford raced their FPC engines before putting them in the GT350s?

The #4 Corvette's engine vibration shook an oil line loose and dropped it out of the race. All the lessons learned from this season will transfer to the C8Z's engine.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:10 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I don’t think that just because that one oil line failed that that means a flat plane is out of the question. That car was just out on the track but now has gone back in, so they’re still experimenting with it, the other one is still going strong, holding forth in class, on the same lap as leader...… I would say the jury is still out as to whether it’s “too much” vibration.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:54 AM   #3
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I don’t think that just because that one oil line failed that that means a flat plane is out of the question. That car was just out on the track but now has gone back in, so they’re still experimenting with it, the other one is still going strong, holding forth in class, on the same lap as leader...… I would say the jury is still out as to whether it’s “too much” vibration.
I bet they're committed to the FPC and now they'll get tons of racing data to make design changes before releasing to the street car. That's why I ask if Ford raced their engine before releasing to the 350?
Old 01-26-2020, 07:55 AM   #4
ZRacerLE

#3 car is still within striking distance by the way
Old 01-26-2020, 08:28 AM   #5
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
According to an article I was just reading, the GT4 mustangs engine is tuned by Roush Yates engines and features a Cross plane crankshaft. It’s also a 5.2L. But I can’t say after doing a quick look if Ford actually raced the FPC version of the engine.
This information came off the website Auto Action which is Australian based.
https://autoaction.com.au/2019/06/01...4-pony-express

Last edited by Scottyz; 01-26-2020 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Added information
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:42 AM   #6
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
According to an article I was just reading, the GT4 mustangs engine is tuned by Roush Yates engines and features a Cross plane crankshaft. It’s also a 5.2L. But I can’t say after doing a quick look if Ford actually raced the FPC version of the engine.
That's a good article. Looks like those GT4s have DSSVs.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:43 PM   #7
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Ford raced the 5.2L “Voodoo” FPC in the GT350R-C from 2015-2016 in IMSA GS. They won the championship in 2016 just before everything merged to GT4 (2017).

The Ford “Voodoo” FPC is not = to the GM C8 FPC. There is a very different design element between those two engines.

The #4 C8.R developed and oil leak due to a cracked bell housing:
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/n...er-long-delay/
Possibly due to the FPC, but also possibly due to just being a new race car (high RPM, new transmission/application, hard-hit curbing).

If memory serves correct, Ford had a race failure with one of the GR350R-C cars at Road America in 2015, it was either exhaust or gearbox (I can’t recall).
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:42 PM   #8
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Ford raced the 5.2L “Voodoo” FPC in the GT350R-C from 2015-2016 in IMSA GS. They won the championship in 2016 just before everything merged to GT4 (2017).

The Ford “Voodoo” FPC is not = to the GM C8 FPC. There is a very different design element between those two engines.

Possibly due to the FPC, but also possibly due to just being a new race car (high RPM, new transmission/application, hard-hit curbing).

If memory serves correct, Ford had a race failure with one of the GR350R-C cars at Road America in 2015, it was either exhaust or gearbox (I can’t recall).
Thanks for the correction.
I looked for about 10 minutes into the subject about about the voodoo engine being raced competitively by Ford and came up with what I posted.
I also didn’t compare the designs of the GM and Ford FPC engine designs but glad you posted that and don’t deny what you are saying regarding the engines designs.
I also saw the oil leak in the race. At one point they claimed it was possibly an oil line loosened but after the lengthy stop I figured it was far from that.
Regardless thanks for the correction.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:05 AM   #9
ZRacerLE

Quote:

When did Ford release the voodoo engine? Chevy is racing their engine now and we won't see a C8Z for another 2 years I think. That gives them some time to iron out any serious problems I'd think.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:24 PM   #10
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Thanks for the correction.
I looked for about 10 minutes into the subject about about the voodoo engine being raced competitively by Ford and came up with what I posted.
I also didn’t compare the designs of the GM and Ford FPC engine designs but glad you posted that and don’t deny what you are saying regarding the engines designs.
I also saw the oil leak in the race. At one point they claimed it was possibly an oil line loosened but after the lengthy stop I figured it was far from that.
Regardless thanks for the correction.
To answer your question about racing the engine before the car being released - I had to look up when the GT350 was available to order, which looks like spring 2015 (limited run of 2015 models, followed by 2016 models). The first race of the GT350R-C was at Watkins Glen, near 4th of July that year.

So, the car was released to the public right around the same time it began racing. This is a bit backwards from what Ford did with the Boss 302, where they raced it, in two different series, way before the car was released to the public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
When did Ford release the voodoo engine? Chevy is racing their engine now and we won't see a C8Z for another 2 years I think. That gives them some time to iron out any serious problems I'd think.
Maybe I am not understanding your question, but the "Voodoo" engine is the 5.2L FPC engine used in the 2015-current GT350. Ford raced with that eninge in competition, in IMSA GS, from the 2015-2016 seasons, winning the 2016 season.

Last edited by Mountain; 01-31-2020 at 10:48 PM. Reason: added answer to THE question
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:23 PM   #11
ZRacerLE

Quote:
To answer your question about racing the engine before the car being released - I had to look up when the GT350 was available to order, which looks like spring 2015 (limited run of 2015 models, followed by 2016 models). The first race of the GT350R-C was at Watkins Glen, near 4th of July that year.

So, the car was released to the public right around the same time it began racing. This is a bit backwards from what Ford did with the Boss 302, where they raced it, in two different series, way before the car was released to the public.

Maybe I am not understanding your question, but the "Voodoo" engine is the 5.2L FPC engine used in the 2015-current GT350. Ford raced with that eninge in competition, in IMSA GS, from the 2015-2016 seasons, winning the 2016 season.
Thanks. This answers my question.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:24 AM   #12
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I was reading an article that stated Ford went with a superchager because the regular crank did not supply the twin turbo with a steady pulse. True as only a flat plane has even fire per bank (so much for equal length header theory eh?). Once they dropped the flat plane, they were forced to drop the twin turbo. I don't know how true that is, but yeah a regular V8 has very unequal pulse waves. Hence the Camaro has tri-y headers.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:59 AM   #13
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I was reading an article that stated Ford went with a superchager because the regular crank did not supply the twin turbo with a steady pulse. True as only a flat plane has even fire per bank (so much for equal length header theory eh?). Once they dropped the flat plane, they were forced to drop the twin turbo. I don't know how true that is, but yeah a regular V8 has very unequal pulse waves. Hence the Camaro has tri-y headers.
There are plenty of twin-turbo CPC V8's out there (BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac, etc.). In fact, most of them now are in a hot-v configuration with the turbos in the valley of the V, so they don't have room for equal length headers or anything like that. So nobody else seems to have any issue with twin turbos on a V8 engine with a CPC.

My guess is that Ford didn't want to admit that they have major issues with their FPC implimentation. They have moved on, and are looking to scapegoat some other reason, so that folks will still purchase the poopoo (oops, I mean voodoo) engine for a few more years.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:49 AM   #14
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
There are plenty of twin-turbo CPC V8's out there (BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac, etc.). In fact, most of them now are in a hot-v configuration with the turbos in the valley of the V, so they don't have room for equal length headers or anything like that. So nobody else seems to have any issue with twin turbos on a V8 engine with a CPC.

My guess is that Ford didn't want to admit that they have major issues with their FPC implimentation. They have moved on, and are looking to scapegoat some other reason, so that folks will still purchase the poopoo (oops, I mean voodoo) engine for a few more years.
You think the voodoo just requires a very close monitoring of oil levels and careful engine warmup before high rpm driving? I know that's unacceptable for most people, but I could see hardcore track rats living with it. Just wondering if this is a similar situation to Chevy not doing a good enough job of warning prospective buyers about the ZLE's ride quality (I love it ). Did Ford just drop the ball on educating dealers and owners on proper maintenance of the engine?