Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-25-2020, 06:33 AM   #1
danno1

Drives: None at this time
Which Car?

OK Guys, (or girls), I'll be looking to purchase either the ZL1 or the SS 1LE in the spring.

Now that said, I only can spend in the low to mid 40s for it.

Should I go with a brand new SS 1LE?

Or get a used ZL1?
danno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:38 AM   #2
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
For what you want to spend, get the SS 1LE. Can't beat a new car warranty.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:04 AM   #3
danno1

Drives: None at this time
Warranty is a big Plus

I like the wheels (5 spoke looks really aggressive)and red Brembos, and the rear spoiler on the 1LE, (ZL1 not so much).

The hood, grill and power on the ZL1 is great.
danno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:21 AM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
If you want a warranty then buy a new SS 1LE!!��
Old 01-25-2020, 08:42 AM   #5
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
It really just depends on what you want from a car. I'm very happy with my 1SS 1LE. Have I owned faster boosted cars than a stock SS with an LT1? Yes, but I will say that the LT1 doesn't need correcting with a SC'er as much as older cars did. A stock GEN6 SS is low 12 second capable car. (people have ran 11's with them) Plus it's power is broad and linear. For a N/A SB motor an LT1 makes very impressive lowend power for the amount of power it maintains on the topend. If anything it could afford to sacrifice a little lowend power for some more topend power. That is just a cam swap away though.

I've not driven a ZL1 but I'm sure it's a very strong car that makes effortless speed. Hell even with the SS you have to pay attention to how fast you're going as it's kind of deceiving. I can just imagine how easy breaking the laws of the road in a ZL1 could be without realizing it. My only beef with the LT4 is I've always felt that it's blower was a huge compromise. GM should of figured out how to fit the LT4 with a TVS2300 under the C7 hood and not made excuses. Give the Hellfat the middle finger kind of thing. In any case GM didn't do that, and I doubt their going to give the ZL1 a LT5 any time soon to compete with a GT500, but who knows.

The ZL1 is the top/fastest Camaro if that's your thing. I've seen them for sale for as low as $50K with less than 2K miles on them. That is a great bargain IMO especially seeing as how their not some stripped down, low optioned 1SS. If you want a strong, handling oriented N/A car a SS 1LE is hard to beat. Just keep in mind that a 1SS is missing many of the 2SS features. A 2SS 1LE adds noticeable cost to the SS 1LE and there seem to be fewer 2SS 1LE's on the market. I have a 1SS 1LE and am content with it from a comfort and amenities standpoint, but many appreciate the extras that come with a 2SS. I'm pretty sure that even a basic, no option ZL1 more resenmbles a 2SS than a 1SS in terms of standard features. Others on here know better than I do about this though.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:10 AM   #6
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yes JROC, you are correct about easily exceeding the speed limit in a ZL1 and they are well equipped with not many options. I had a 2016 2SS which I bought new which was fast but the ZL1 I bought used last March is just a different feeling and driving Camaro. People on here say they aren’t that much different but I disagree. Anyway, danno likes the features and looks of the SS 1LE and has a budget so that’s why I suggested the SS ��
Old 01-25-2020, 11:49 AM   #7
Frost_SS

Drives: Camaro
1ss le is a fantasitc value but you will be missing some creature comforts if you plan to daily it. Blind spot monitoring/cross traffic alert, rear view camera, and interior lighting to name the big ones.

You could also look into the 2019 2ss 1le. Ive seen them go on sale for 37-40k with less than 5k miles. They just tend to sale quick. A sliver ice one sold in CA about a week or 2 ago with less than 3k miles for 38-39k and another sold in tenesse about 3 weeks ago for like 37ish (i just missed putting an offer on that one before it sold). You just have to search and wait for your color of choice and confirm it was well maintained which may not be your thing.

ZL1 is a monster of a car. i would just be mindful of your budget, maintenance, insurance, and additional costs associated with a car of that caliber. Its easy to get lost in the "its only a little more money" mindset.
Frost_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:22 PM   #8
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
To me there is nothing like a brand new car , warranty and all, as much as I would like a zl1 , I don’t know that I would buy one used and possibly abused.
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:46 PM   #9
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
If your not going to mod it go used ZL1, most of them still have a warranty remaining anyway. Just try to get as new as possible with used and low miles. SS 1LE is a great car but HP is great too.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:53 PM   #10
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
My personal preference would always be the new car when buying a high performance late model vehicle.

I don't want to inherit boy racer's abuse.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:24 PM   #11
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Fast or super fast, that is the question.
Good luck!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:44 PM   #12
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Kind of a non answer to your question, but here are my thoughts.

I think the 1LE is a better looking car overall. As well, it's a much better value from an initial purchase, tax and insurance perspective. You'll know all of the history, if you buy it new. I personally would love to have a 1SS LE as a daily driver - basic, powerful and fun.

On the other hand, the ZL1 is probably too much power for the "average" driver. I find myself asking whether it was good decision to buy it or not for this reason alone. Ingress and egress is tough with the bolstered seats and side skirts. There's definitely more to break ZL1 (as it has more options). On the positive side, if you can control your right foot (for the right times), understand that the cost of ownership will probably be more than the 1LE, than maybe the Z is for you.

I haven't driven the base 1LE compared to the Zl1, but I have to imagine the driving dynamic of the lighter less powerful car may be more engaging, for some. I think you need to drive them both to make the decision best for you.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:27 PM   #13
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost_SS View Post
1ss le is a fantasitc value but you will be missing some creature comforts if you plan to daily it. Blind spot monitoring/cross traffic alert, rear view camera, and interior lighting to name the big ones.

You could also look into the 2019 2ss 1le. Ive seen them go on sale for 37-40k with less than 5k miles. They just tend to sale quick. A sliver ice one sold in CA about a week or 2 ago with less than 3k miles for 38-39k and another sold in tenesse about 3 weeks ago for like 37ish (i just missed putting an offer on that one before it sold). You just have to search and wait for your color of choice and confirm it was well maintained which may not be your thing.

ZL1 is a monster of a car. i would just be mindful of your budget, maintenance, insurance, and additional costs associated with a car of that caliber. Its easy to get lost in the "its only a little more money" mindset.
100% agree. It really comes down to the big question, will this be your daily driver? With that being said. I’ve driven the SS (obviously) and a ZL1. They are both insanely fun cars to drive. Can’t go wrong with either or.
Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:05 PM   #14
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost_SS View Post

The 1le does have a backup camera

All the others stuff you mentioned dosnt matter. 1le is a beast you'll love it
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote