Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-20-2019, 03:23 PM   #15
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
I don't remember if it was this forum or the GM Trucks forum, but someone showed a GM patent application for a "clutch by wire" system that was being researched.

The assumption was that this might be for a future Vette. I hope so. Because I won't buy a C8 without a manual. To me, my ZL1 or a Vette is a toy. I daily drive mine in good weather, but it is not my only vehicle. In rain or cold, the ZL1 sits in the garage.

So, I like my toys to have 3 pedals. If the C8 never gets a third pedal, I will never get one. Will save a little more and get a Porsche one day if I have to.

Yes, I realize manuals are dying out. But that just means my toys will be "older" cars in the future.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #16
Zee_Ohh

Drives: truck
Don't own a ZL1 but my truck is paid off in a few months and was planning on one for a christmas or birthday present to myself. Now I will be waiting to see what used prices drop to this winter on a ZLE cause if they dont drop drastically I will be spending the extra money on a C8. The ZLE was a really good performance value but the c8 seems to have the making of a great all around sports car value.

Should be a really interesting next couple quarters in the automotive industry as a whole.
Zee_Ohh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:41 PM   #17
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
I told my wife today that I'm buying a C8 Z06 when they come out.

However, with the Camaro lineage ending (rumors looking more and more real) I want keep the top dog of the last Camaro in my lineup.

So the answer is "both"

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:02 PM   #18
bobfic

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Here's my take...I just traded C7..2017 Z/51 for 2019 ZL1..pic included..some keep a car for long while...some enjoy it for short time...new C8 Corvette with mid engine..is total different concept for some of us...I'm am not prior Porsche owner...referencing motor behind my seat...I would assume this is a total new driving experience (feel).This might be the new age of driving on the streets..
Attached Images

bobfic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:06 PM   #19
bobfic

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Excuse pic....
bobfic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:26 AM   #20
Ron66Vette&10SS
Plays with Hot Wheels

Drives: '17 Jet Black ZL1
I'll hold off on a final decision until actually see a C8 in person and we start getting some "real" performance numbers when they start hitting the streets...but as it sits now:

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll be getting a C8 Z51 when my ZL1 lease ends next year.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:35 AM   #21
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'm back and forth on whether I'll get one now or wait a while for the Z06. Either way, I will have a C8 Z06. It's just a matter of do I wait or not.

My Hellcat lease is up 7/20. I initially said I'd buy it out. But that Vette just looks amazing. So I'm now thinking I'll turn the Hellcat in, keep the ZL1, and get a C8 with some options. Then when the C8 Z06 is out, I'll turn the C8 standard Vette in for the Z and have the Z06 along with my ZL1. Or trade the ZL1 in for the C8 Z06...but then I'll have a standard C8 and a C8 Z06 which might not make much sense. So I'm not sure what I'm gonna do.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:16 AM   #22
Oil Man

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2018 ZL1 A10 (RIPx2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I don't remember if it was this forum or the GM Trucks forum, but someone showed a GM patent application for a "clutch by wire" system that was being researched..
I remember this too. And since the C8 launch, I saw an analysis of one of the big reasons a manual was a no-go on the C8. Basically, between the engine position, fuel tank location, oiling system, suspension, etc. there was no clear path for clutch linkage. Everything is shoehorned into that space between the structural aluminum of the chassis.

It could be that they're still working on it, and they just haven't nailed it down yet. It seems to me that one of the biggest challenges would be creating a system that could emulate all of the different speeds and pressures that your left leg is likely to input on a mechanical clutch linkage, and be reactive enough to really do the job. I mean, throttle by wire has gotten pretty good, but there's still a perceptible input lag.

I could see a system like that working well enough for casual driving, but having real problems when you started seriously banging gears. Here's hoping they sort it out.

As for the C8 Vette itself, my jaw is still kind of hanging open. The car has the potential to really change the game. The biggest surprise is that my wife went even more gaga than I did, and seriously wants one.

Looks like I might be setting the garage up to accept two cars again!
Oil Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:17 AM   #23
Larrio Andretti

Drives: Really Fast
Don’t kid yourselves. If you can find an allocation and you option it up with Z51 and other popular options this car will sell for $75-$80k. Dealers won’t be giving out allocation for base cars for a long time. The dealer spec cars will have most boxes on their order forms checked for inventory cars.

The closest car performance wise in the Porsche lineup is the GT3. Base price for that is $143,000. No one drives away in a base car and Porsche options are ridiculously expensive. Even at a drive away price of $80-85,000 the Vette is a winner. It was likely built to be a GT3 fighter.

The ZLE is already 2 sec faster around the ring than the GT3.

I will buy a certified pre-owned low mileage C8 in a couple of years and sell the ZL1. Save some bucks!

Last edited by Larrio Andretti; 07-21-2019 at 03:28 AM.
Larrio Andretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:29 AM   #24
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I'm back and forth on whether I'll get one now or wait a while for the Z06. Either way, I will have a C8 Z06. It's just a matter of do I wait or not.

My Hellcat lease is up 7/20. I initially said I'd buy it out. But that Vette just looks amazing. So I'm now thinking I'll turn the Hellcat in, keep the ZL1, and get a C8 with some options. Then when the C8 Z06 is out, I'll turn the C8 standard Vette in for the Z and have the Z06 along with my ZL1. Or trade the ZL1 in for the C8 Z06...but then I'll have a standard C8 and a C8 Z06 which might not make much sense. So I'm not sure what I'm gonna do.
Blaq, you are making me dizzy with all those options. LOL
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:58 AM   #25
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Man View Post
I remember this too. And since the C8 launch, I saw an analysis of one of the big reasons a manual was a no-go on the C8. Basically, between the engine position, fuel tank location, oiling system, suspension, etc. there was no clear path for clutch linkage. Everything is shoehorned into that space between the structural aluminum of the chassis.
Clutch "linkage" is a hydraulic oil tube at most, so that's not why. Moreso the cost of developing a completely custom mid-engine manual trans vs. anticipated sales volume. The tunnel is huge and without the torque tube there's plenty of room to route whatever they want... and it makes a nice spot for batteries in the future.

Quote:
As for the C8 Vette itself, my jaw is still kind of hanging open. The car has the potential to really change the game. The biggest surprise is that my wife went even more gaga than I did, and seriously wants one.

Looks like I might be setting the garage up to accept two cars again!
Amen brother!

Chevy crushed it with the C8!
Attached Images

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:56 AM   #26
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
I’ll be buying the C8 ZO6 for sure but it will probably be the 3rd year it comes out and it will be a used low mile. I’m only interested in the first 10k miles of warranty and then the mods begin. It’ll be a good while before that happens so until then I’m pushing my car up to 700whp just to keep up with all the new comers.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:33 AM   #27
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
The 6th gen already feels ancient compared to the 6th gens....I love my SS, but the C8 is calling my name, much more than the C7 ever did. I like the C7 a lot, but always thought my SS was 98% of a Stingray for a lot less $.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:46 AM   #28
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
I loved the looks of the C7. I just didnt feel it fit me very well when I sat in one. My knees hit on either side. Tried several test drives, and it just wasnt very comfortable for me, especially considering the cost of the car. The camaro is a lot more comfy to ride in, easier to get in and out of.... So will the C8 be any better who knows?
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote